PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This is GOLD (From Bills Forum)

In Brandon Meriwether's entire career he never had a season remotely close to being as successful as Hogan's was this year.

Well, that's an interesting use of the term. I'm as old as dirt, and "on the bubble", at least to me, has always meant iffy to make the team.

2009: 83 tackles, 9 PD, 5 ints, 2 FF, Pro Bowl

Hogan had 680 yards and 4 TDs. He wasn't exactly the 2nd coming of Randy Moss.

There isn't a surplus. There is a complete unit.
Plus the argument was he was on the bubble to get cut not that he is so valuable he is great trade bait if necessary.

This x10....complete unit...

It's Buffalo. They were PJ's out to dinner and take their women to port-o-potties instead of hotels.

Hogan is a deep threat...we have 2 now...Hogan and Cooks with Gronk and Allen under with Jules and Dola (looks like Dolas snaps will be limited this year based on camp)

Mitchell I see as not much of a deep guy..but sidelines middle field

I wonder if we can line up those 6 and make anyone of them ineligible on any play. Is this still legal?

And led the NFL in taunting penalties that year. You're barking up the wrong tree. I liked Meriweather. Hogan is a better player and greater contributor. And I hate white guys...

Is there anyway to find the original article still?

The Bills won the 2016 offseason and the Jets are worse than the Bills, so they've got that going for them.

tumblr_n3jl8alFdF1qzk2apo1_500.gif

How can a Patriot fan ignore 17/332/2 in the post season?

How can a Patriot fan ignore 17/332/2 in the post season?

And over half of that production came against the steelers, which the Patriots routinely dominate.

5 players had more receptions and yards than Chris Hogan in the Super Bowl.

I think Hogan should make the roster, and fully expect him to. But dumping him would not exactly be the most head scratching move that BB has made given the ample other options at WR, and supporting options at TE and RB.

And over half of that production came against the steelers, which the Patriots routinely dominate.
Yes a record setting game. Please tell me you aren't trying to say that doesn't count.

5 players had more receptions and yards than Chris Hogan in the Super Bowl.
Hogan played the most snaps of any WR in the SB. Not sure why you are trying to imply he wasn't critical. We don't win without him.

I think Hogan should make the roster, and fully expect him to.
He is a mortal lock.

But dumping him would not exactly be the most head scratching move that BB has made given the ample other options at WR, and supporting options at TE and RB.
Of course it would be.

??? What is going on here? Chris Hogan is as close to a lock as can be. What would be the point of trading him and what would you get that would help the team now. Unless they were in dire need an another player and at that point they would trade a pick because what are the odds that the player they need is coming from a team that needs/wants Hogan.

So if you are trading Hogan its probably for a pick and nothing spectacular - that helps now - unless they wheeled that pic but whatever....

Also, the other big factor is what other WR/TE is a proven commodity in the Pats system is is in his prime/extremely durable and can be counted on for 16 game. Well, lets start ruling some players out.

We can rule out Cooks and Allen, as of now they are unproven in this system. Odds are they will be fine but you never know. We can rule out Gronk for sure and Edelman who has aged another year and has had some injury issues. DA out for sure,

That leaves Mitchell who will hopefully make a jump and not have a sophomore slump. Sure in some crazy world you could trade Hogan for some stud player because all the players play to their max potential, and nobody gets injured, and all work out in the system.

Or you can stay in reality where your proven deep threat and 2016 league long play leader stays, on his very reasonable contract, and helps the team win this year.

??? What is going on here? Chris Hogan is as close to a lock as can be. What would be the point of trading him and what would you get that would help the team now. Unless they were in dire need an another player and at that point they would trade a pick because what are the odds that the player they need is coming from a team that needs/wants Hogan.

So if you are trading Hogan its probably for a pick and nothing spectacular - that helps now - unless they wheeled that pic but whatever....

Also, the other big factor is what other WR/TE is a proven commodity in the Pats system is is in his prime/extremely durable and can be counted on for 16 game. Well, lets start ruling some players out.

We can rule out Cooks and Allen, as of now they are unproven in this system. Odds are they will be fine but you never know. We can rule out Gronk for sure and Edelman who has aged another year and has had some injury issues. DA out for sure,

That leaves Mitchell who will hopefully make a jump and not have a sophomore slump. Sure in some crazy world you could trade Hogan for some stud player because all the players play to their max potential, and nobody gets injured, and all work out in the system.

Or you can stay in reality where your proven deep threat and 2016 league long play leader stays, on his very reasonable contract, and helps the team win this year.

It's asinine to think that Hogan is on the bubble. That being said, I think it is fair to say that he might be the only receiver within the top 5 whose skillset is not unique. Unless Cooks busts spectacularly that is. In any case, obviously it doesn't mean that he is in any danger of being cut.

I don't get why people even entertain the idea of messing with our WR roster. To me it looks like the ideal mix of various overlapping skillsets that are quality but also give depth in case of injury. I don't remember our offense ever having so much depth at skill positions in a while.

Do you or do you not understand why that means that Hogan is potentially expendable if we have problems at other positions that we need to fix?

Please explain how BB would get around to the sort of thinking that goes "I know I've been looking for a taller receiver who can threaten middle deep ever since I got rid of Moss, and this guy does it a bit, but I really like that 4th string tight end, so I'm going to cut the only 6'+ receiver I have".

I'm not saying Hogan is anything great, and BB has been known to stray off the reservation, but still...

The only advantage cutting Hogan would be to free up a roster slot.
Given, his $2.5 million salary is guaranteed this year, their would be no financial gain what so ever.
The fact that this guy was money in every playoff game .....vs the best teams....seems irrelevant to certain keyboard GMs.
If NE becomes desperate to fix problematic roster concerns, I personally would let go a non starter....not their #3 WR with a guaranteed salary who was a playoff star

Anyone who thinks that Hogan might be cut for performance issues is nutz.. he and Amendola are money in the playoffs..

He is no Randy Moss, but who is?? I prefer Hogan to some primadonna who needs to be coddled or loves the media attention...

Who said he was? Lovely straw man. Watch it burn, buddy!

Of course it would be.

If Hogan gets dumped that would be because Mitchell beats him out for the 3rd WR position and results in Amendola being your 4th WR instead.

In 2011 BB cut 2 out of 3 of his top 3 safeties in training camp. This resulted in James Ihedigbo starting 12 games and Sergio Brown :eek: starting 3 games.

Going into camp most people would place Hogan in a battle for the #3 WR position, whereas Meriweather would have been considered the #1 safety.

How is cutting your #1 Safety, and not because the other options are surprisingly impressive, not more head scratching than cutting your #3 or #4 WR?:confused:

If Hogan gets dumped that would be because Mitchell beats him out for the 3rd WR position and results in Amendola being your 4th WR instead.
Won't happen.

In 2011 BB cut 2 out of 3 of his top 3 safeties in training camp. This resulted in James Ihedigbo starting 12 games and Sergio Brown :eek: starting 3 games.
That has nothing to do with cutting hogan.

Going into camp most people would place Hogan in a battle for the #3 WR position, whereas Meriweather would have been considered the #1 safety.

How is cutting your #1 Safety, and not because the other options are surprisingly impressive, not more head scratching than cutting your #3 or #4 WR?:confused:
Meriwhether was a head case and sanders showed up out of shape.
I can't judge shocking based upon your level of misunderstanding.

Hogan is more valuable to this team that those 2 players. Hogan is going nowhere.

Merriweather was freelancing and a hothead, and his ridiculous 2 Pro Bowl nods for the vicious hits he delivered only made things worse. He didn't buy into the program. That's why BB dumped him even if he had more skill. I don't see that issue with Hogan.

BB has now come to the point he'd rather take less skillful players who buy into the program than the other way around.

Hogan isn't going anywhere.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back