PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

They’re writing us off again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edleman seems to be dropping more passes than normal. But maybe they weren't as noticeable before because the team was better than this group. Gronk has had some better games recently. But in order to win a SB, he needs to be the old Gronk. We shall see.

the key there is 'seems' .... because actually, he isn't

Like I said, maybe I didn't notice the drops previous years. So you are probably correct.
Yea if you look at the target frequency and # of targets his drop % is actually the same this year as it was in prior years.

He does occasionally have more drops than you would like but the point is it's not above his norm

NE is a formality in this game to the media. We are there to get sent packing so Rivers can be on his merry way to win the super bowl he so much deserves.

Last edited:
No one fits into their philosophy anymore. Clearly they need to adapt it or they will continue to have have this major personnel crisis. In the last five years, WRs have been interested in joining this unit to play with Brady. Their only WR/TE that has actually lasted more than a year is Chris Hogan, who is a #3/4 receiver. That has to be historically bad.
The league has been trending to a basketball on grass style on both sides of the ball for a few years and I agree we have been slow to adapt. The only “athlete” we have had since Moss was Gronk. He was a man beater who could open up things for the rest of the offense, especially the guys that make their living underneath like Edelman and White. Gordon wasn’t what he was in 2013 but he still was athletic enough to go up and win 50/50 balls or outmuscle guys for the ball in traffic. I know it’s harder to find athletic freaks when you’re picking late in the first round all the time but there are still guys like Calvin Ridley and Michael Thomas floating around in that area. In the end of the day this offense will always focus heavy on the option routes and the slot receiver but we have seen the difference when we have that one guy to stretch the field.

And as if losing in the super bowl is a ‘gotchya’ moment...... that guy is disgusting

The tweet is during SB 51 when Brady didn't lose (which makes it all the more ridiculous)

NE is a formality in this game. We are there to get sent packing so Rivers can be on his merry way to win the super bowl he so much deserves.

Is this your thought or what others are saying? I think LAC win. But to call it a "Formality" is ludicrous.

The tweet is during SB 51 when Brady didn't lose (which makes it all the more ridiculous)

Are you talking about the "Cliff" comment during SB 51 by Kellerman? That dude really isn't that knowledgeable outside Boxing. But I wonder how much of that is producers saying "Say Brady isn't good", even if he is. Maybe in their minds they don't believe what they are saying. But they have to say it in order to drive up ratings.

The league has been trending to a basketball on grass style on both sides of the ball for a few years and I agree we have been slow to adapt. The only “athlete” we have had since Moss was Gronk. He was a man beater who could open up things for the rest of the offense, especially the guys that make their living underneath like Edelman and White. Gordon wasn’t what he was in 2013 but he still was athletic enough to go up and win 50/50 balls or outmuscle guys for the ball in traffic. I know it’s harder to find athletic freaks when you’re picking late in the first round all the time but there are still guys like Calvin Ridley and Michael Thomas floating around in that area. In the end of the day this offense will always focus heavy on the option routes and the slot receiver but we have seen the difference when we have that one guy to stretch the field.

The super athletic guys would be nice, but I'm talking about even having competent players. Edelman is 32, and I shudder to think about this team without a quick #1 target, which they've had since 2001 if you follow the progression from Brown to Welker to Edelman/Amendola. Gronk may retire this offseason. I think Hogans time with the team is up as well, or regardless, he isn't going to make the impact they need. I would feel a lot better about the situation, except that they seem unable to attain anyone who can replace the outgoing production. People reference 2013, but that season they lost Amendola and Gronkowski to injury. This is more on par with 2006, except that, as you referenced, the entire league seems to have such a glut of WRs and TEs, I just don't understand why there's such a failure to develop anyone notable to play in this offense. I was excited that along with Kingsbury there may be a much more open and inclusive outlook of players who can work in the system.

The super athletic guys would be nice, but I'm talking about even having competent players. Edelman is 32, and I shudder to think about this team without a quick #1 target, which they've had since 2001 if you follow the progression from Brown to Welker to Edelman/Amendola. Gronk may retire this offseason. I think Hogans time with the team is up as well, or regardless, he isn't going to make the impact they need. I would feel a lot better about the situation, except that they seem unable to attain anyone who can replace the outgoing production. People reference 2013, but that season they lost Amendola and Gronkowski to injury. This is more on par with 2006, except that, as you referenced, the entire league seems to have such a glut of WRs and TEs, I just don't understand why there's such a failure to develop anyone notable to play in this offense. I was excited that along with Kingsbury there may be a much more open and inclusive outlook of players who can work in the system.
I agree with you on the pass catching core for next year. It’s reasonable to assume Edelman will be back but he is aging in a position that you take a beating. Aside from him I honestly think there’s a solid chance not one other receiver or TE is even close to a lock to be back. What makes me even more nervous about this is our track record of drafting receivers. The last good one we drafted (not a flier on a project guy) was who, Deion Branch? We got a handful of games out of Malcolm Mitchel until his knee ended his career. Maybe I’m missing someone but we strikeout a ton on drafting receivers.

I agree with you on the pass catching core for next year. It’s reasonable to assume Edelman will be back but he is aging in a position that you take a beating. Aside from him I honestly think there’s a solid chance not one other receiver or TE is even close to a lock to be back. What makes me even more nervous about this is our track record of drafting receivers. The last good one we drafted (not a flier on a project guy) was who, Deion Branch? We got a handful of games out of Malcolm Mitchel until his knee ended his career. Maybe I’m missing someone but we strikeout a ton on drafting receivers.
This narrative that the Pats suck at drafting WRs needs to stop.

Fact: Everyone pretty much strikes out.

They do strike out at drafting receivers because they don't pick sure things and hardly ever pick a WR in the first or 2nd round. Even when they do it's only a 25% success rate the WR becomes a legit primary or secondary threat.

Should Broncos draft a wide receiver in first two rounds?

..and from 2005 until 2014 for WRs....
  • Of 317 selected, only 74 have become starters for at least half their careers.
  • The first round success rate is 58% and the second round is almost as good at 49%.
  • The third round has the second highest number of receivers drafted with 52 but only a 25% success rate.
  • If you are ranking the rounds by numbers drafted, you would go 7th, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 2nd, 1st and 5th.
  • The fifth round actually has a higher success rate (16%) than the fourth round (12%). The sixth is at 9% and the seventh is 5%.

What stats tells us about the draft by round

They do strike out at drafting receivers because they don't pick sure things and hardly ever pick a WR in the first or 2nd round. Even when they do it's only a 25% success rate the WR becomes a legit primary or secondary threat.

• Of 317 selected, only 74 have become starters for at least half their careers.
  • The first round success rate is 58% and the second round is almost as good at 49%.
  • The third round has the second highest number of receivers drafted with 52 but only a 25% success rate.
  • If you are ranking the rounds by numbers drafted, you would go 7th, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 2nd, 1st and 5th.
  • The fifth round actually has a higher success rate (16%) than the fourth round (12%). The sixth is at 9% and the seventh is 5%.
Yes okay the Patriots do everything well. They’ve never done anything wrong. Every pick is a superstar.

Yes okay the Patriots do everything well. They’ve never done anything wrong. Every pick is a superstar.
I know....actual facts and context isn't your thing. You'd rather parade around on this board being the "un-homer "Pats fan.

This is true, but I think their unwillingness to invest high draft picks is exactly the reason why they are striking out so often in free agency: higher risk that a valuable draft pick is wasted on a player who can't mentally grasp the system, whereas many other positions are a lot less reliant on this sixth-sense type of impossible measurement (or in other words, how the heck do you know if Brady will trust this guy, regardless of his physical skills?)

The army of WRs that came in last offseason, many of them veterans with success in the league, is concerning. At this point, who can play in Josh McDaniels offensive system? Anyone? I wouldn't waste a draft pick either.

I know....actual facts and context isn't your thing. You'd rather parade around on this board being the "un-homer "Pats fan.
So because the Broncos can’t draft receivers that means it’s okay we can’t? What facts are you going on? So you’re telling me Deion Branch as our only good receiver that Bill has drafted is good?

If they win # 6, I am officially content forever as a fan.

Until next September you mean..

I mean come on I have read stuff like this forever and yet a few days after winning a SB we are back at it for next year. None of it will change until Brady retires (or BB leaves).

So because the Broncos can’t draft receivers that means it’s okay we can’t? What facts are you going on?

The data wasn't just the Broncos. The data encompassed the entire league. I think you need to read it.

So you’re telling me Deion Branch as our only good receiver that Bill has drafted is good?

No you are.

I know it doesn't mean much, but it makes me feel good knowing the early money is going on LAC. Meanwhile they have 28th ranked Oline, exploitable linebackers vs great short game scheme, and on the road after back to back 3000 mile warm to cold jet lag travel. Just makes me feel good. Ho hum, just gotta show em again what the deal is

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes