PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Trade And The Choice

I think you're misinterpreting and it was meant that he's the #3 guard on their draft board. He is now the front runner to start at LG in 2022.
He’s an instant plug and play player assuming health.

The way I see it, prior to this selection, NE had no long-term core O lineman on their roster.
Wynn is likely one and done.
Brown is a 'cross your fingers" short term solution at tackle (signed thru '23)
Andrews (signed thru '24) is aging with a minimal dead cap cost after '22. Team would benefit with an upgrade IMHO.
And Owenu is a bit of enigma given Bill opted to fill the open guard position with a FA last year and not Owenu (signed thru '23).

Clearly Bill prefers more long-term solutions than stop gaps on OL
With Strange taken in the 1st, Bill believes Strange is a plug 'n play starting this season and because he was taken in the first, Bill now has 5 years of cost-effective control.
Certainly not sexy, but the team probably believes this guy is a sure starter at a need position

And you all need to prepare yourself for another premium OL draft pick next year given the Tackle situation
-----------------------------------
On another note, with so many middle/lower round extra picks, you know Bill is horny for the punter Araiza.
Cap savings is the name of the game in Foxboro....then flip Bailey for a '23 draft pick

Wtf are you talking about. He was never all pro either.
That website puts a + for all pro next to the season and a * for pro bowl. He has none of either.

Perhaps when you realize you overrate him you will understand things better.

I already told him that Mason was a two time all pro for PFF, not the NFL.

I already told him that Mason was a two time all pro for PFF, not the NFL.
There is no such thing as a PFF all pro. All pro is a recognized honor which is not determined by PFF

OPTION 1
Move down and draft your #3 OG in the first for 5 years.

OPTION 2
Trade up to 16 or higher for Johnson, perhaps costing a 3rd (or more).

OPTION 3
Trade down a 2nd time and hope that the top OG on your board was available at 54.
==================
YOU CHOOSE (Belichick rejected Option 3, since he apparently had only one OG left high on his board)
Belichick wanted to get his OG, apparently his #1 priority, so
JOHNSON or
STRANGE plus our 3rd plus an addition 3rd and an additional 4th
I don't understand Option 3.

Why does trading down at 29 mean you're picking at 54?

PFF does its own All Pro team, which are meaningless.

All-Pro Teams​

YearTmLevelPosVoters
20181st TmRGPro Football Focus
20212nd TmRGPro Football Focus
You aren’t a pro bowler or all pro if you mss as he neither but the idiots at Pff lost you.

Mason hasn't won an individual award since he was second team All ACC in 2014. He was never a Pro Bowler or All Pro. You can definitely that in a few years it was a slight that he didn't get the award, but he never won anything other than the two Super Bowl rings he has.
Oddly, his best year ever for us was last year. He was at the height of his abilities. That might have something to do with injuries, but I wonder what went down between the team and Mason.

Oddly, his best year ever for us was last year. He was at the height of his abilities. That might have something to do with injuries, but I wonder what went down between the team and Mason.
It could also have nothing to do with Mason at all. Onwenu wasn't a great fit at LG, but they clearly expect him to be starting at RG next season. I think they just saw two guys that were both much better fits at RG than LG, so they kept the younger and cheaper one.

The trade back was exactly what they should have done. It’s what I was calling for before the 21st was traded.

The pick itself will be judged in years to come. I had strange ranked as one of the best OG’s on my big board.

I didn’t see it coming, thought OT was going to be the pick. But the player himself is a great prospect. Obviously they’re secure with their OT depth.
I wouldn’t say he’s secure with our OT depth just yet. At least I hope not. I simply think he had strange rated higher than any of the remaining tackle prospects.

I wouldn’t say he’s secure with our OT depth just yet. At least I hope not. I simply think he had strange rated higher than any of the remaining tackle prospects.
I think you can only roster so many players, 53 according to the rules with a few extra on the PS. I think he’s secure with our OT depth in 2022 and will revisit it in 2023.

Two time All Pro, which everyone knows is a higher honor than the Pro Bowl.

Mason never made the pro bowl or the all-pro team and your link doesn’t indicate otherwise, you simpleton. The only honor listed is 2xSB Champ. The asterisk description/meaning is present for every player on that site. Show me which of Mason’s seasons have an asterisk next to them. I’ll wait.

No one knows if its a good pick. He could be first team all pro and no one will complain he wS picked at 29. No sure things at 29 and I heard that in this draft from 15-50 they all had similar upside

Mason never made the pro bowl or the all-pro team and your link doesn’t indicate otherwise, you simpleton. The only honor listed is 2xSB Champ. The asterisk description/meaning is present for every player on that site. Show me which of Mason’s seasons have an asterisk next to them. I’ll wait.
Mason is still better than anyone the Pats have. They basically traded Mason for Strange gained about 1 mil in cap space, wasted a first rd pic, gained a 5th rd pic, and hope that This kid can be as good as Mason is.

Plus Strange is only 4 years younger than Mason.

Its an awful trade, plus they at best used thier first round pick to tread water at best, the defense is much worst now than the one that couldn’t make the Bills punt.

How many bad draft moves does it take before they take the reigns away from BB?

OPTION 1
Move down and draft your #3 OG in the first for 5 years.

OPTION 2
Trade up to 16 or higher for Johnson, perhaps costing a 3rd (or more).

OPTION 3
Trade down a 2nd time and hope that the top OG on your board was available at 54.
==================
YOU CHOOSE (Belichick rejected Option 3, since he apparently had only one OG left high on his board)
Belichick wanted to get his OG, apparently his #1 priority, so
JOHNSON or
STRANGE plus our 3rd plus an addition 3rd and an additional 4th
You are assuming that Strange was their third ranked OG. That isn’t necessarily true. He may have been high as #1.

You watched the Patriots in December and January?

when they could only beat Jacksonville, yeah, and you think by replacing Mason with Strange that is going to change?

when they could only beat Jacksonville, yeah, and you think by replacing Mason with Strange that is going to change?
I think it's a start. (Never mind that Strange is replacing Karras in all likelihood)

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back