PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sanctioned FA 4PM Tracker Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best Sunday Night opening day game would be the 49ers vs. Patriots IF they land Manning.

Peyton, Davis, Crabtree, Manningham, Moss and a top 3 defense vs. Brady, the big four, and a good defense.

The loser of that game could go 14-2 or 15-1. :D

Last edited:
The best Sunday Night opening day game would be the 49ers vs. Patriots IF they land Manning.

Peyton, Davis, Crabtree, Manningham, Moss and a top 3 defense vs. Brady, the big four, and a good defense.

The loser of that game could go 14-2 or 15-1. :D

Only if its the Patriots

I know that the Saints slapped the Exclusive Rights Franchise tag on Brees, but with the way that Manning keeps jerking around the Titans, 49ers and Broncos, plus my opinion that all 3 of those places offer Stadiums that aren't conducive to Manning being successful, that the Saints will end up being players in the Manning Sweepstakes before the end of it all. They are going to need a good PR move with the sanctions and fines that they are going to get hit with and bringing home a "Wayward Son" would do just that.

The Saints could sign Manning to a lesser contract than Brees wants, but with incentives and give him a similar "For Life" contract that the Titans offered.

if the 49ers sign manning, they will be legitimately scary...I think they still will be even if they end up going forward with alex smith.

they were a 13-3 team last year with minimal weapons at WR...add in Moss and Manningham as well as already having Crabtree, Davis....that is a potent wr corp added to a team with a top defense and running game

luckily all these teams improving seem to be in the NFC...in the AFC, seems the Ravens are going to stay pat, and the Steelers are falling apart IMO

Last edited:
if the 49ers sign manning, they will be legitimately scary...I think they still will be even if they end up going forward with alex smith.

they were a 13-3 team last year with minimal weapons at WR...add in Moss and Manningham as well as already having Crabtree, Davis....that is a potent wr corp added to a team with a top defense and running game

luckily all these teams improving seem to be in the NFC...in the AFC, seems the Ravens are going to stay pat, and the Steelers are falling apart IMO

Not all bad teams that jump up and have a good season stay good.
They played in a terrbly weak divison and won a lot of close games, some against bad teams.
They also had some guys show up and have career years.
They have to do it more than once for me to believe they are for real.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all bad teams that jump up and have a good season stay good.
They played in a terrbly weak divison and won a lot of close games, some against bad teams.
They also had some guys show up and have career years.
They have to do it more than once for me to believe they are for real.

Well, that's one reason to think they might not be "for real". Reasons *to* think they are for real:

- They have a legitimately good head coach.
- They just improved their most glaring area of weakness: WR.
- They have the best defense, by a wide margin, in the NFL. That hasn't changed.
- They still play in a weak division.

Well, that's one reason to think they might not be "for real". Reasons *to* think they are for real:

- They have a legitimately good head coach.
We have 1 year to base that on. There was a time the Jets thought they had one too.

- They just improved their most glaring area of weakness: WR.

Not so sure I am impressed that Manningham is much better than the rotation they used as #2 last year.

- They have the best defense, by a wide margin, in the NFL. That hasn't changed.
Not sure I buy that 2nd in points and 4th in yard is best by a wide margin.
And that was last year, as the point of my post was I want to see more than 1 year to believe it, I want to see more than 1 year to believe it. Plus as I said there were some career years involved.
- They still play in a weak division.

That they do, but their out of division schedule will be difficult this year.

We have 1 year to base that on. There was a time the Jets thought they had one too.

Harbaugh was also a great college coach. Everywhere he's gone he's been terrific.

Not so sure I am impressed that Manningham is much better than the rotation they used as #2 last year.

Manningham plus a rejuvenated Randy Moss is better than what they had last year....by a lot, IMO. If you want to take last year's group over this year's, be my guest.

Not sure I buy that 2nd in points and 4th in yard is best by a wide margin.
And that was last year, as the point of my post was I want to see more than 1 year to believe it, I want to see more than 1 year to believe it. Plus as I said there were some career years involved.

Yeah, my bad. I thought off the top of my head that they were #1 in points allowed, but they were 2nd behind Pittsburgh (by two points), which surprised me (Pittsburgh also had the #1 defense by yards allowed). But ok, 2nd in points allowed and 4th in yards. So it's a really, really good defense....an excellent one, in fact. Just two years ago they were #4 in points allowed. They've proven they have ability. We'll see if they can do it two years in a row but I have very little reason to think they won't be very good.

That they do, but their out of division schedule will be difficult this year.

In 2012 they play the AFCE and NFCN. In 2011 they played the AFCN and the NFCE. In 2011 the AFCN produced three playoff teams. Hard to argue that the AFCE is better than that. It's probably a slightly tougher schedule on paper, but you never know how that will work out.

Harbaugh was also a great college coach. Everywhere he's gone he's been terrific.
I think GREAT is an exaggeation. I understand he took over a poor program at Stanford, but he had 1 GREAT year in 4. Not trying to trash him just saying he hasn't proven to be a coach that elevates his team above others by being there just yet.

Manningham plus a rejuvenated Randy Moss is better than what they had last year....by a lot, IMO. If you want to take last year's group over this year's, be my guest.
Oh God, rejuvinated Randy Moss. Ok, I'm going to just ignore this part of the discussion because we have moved to fantasy land.

Yeah, my bad. I thought off the top of my head that they were #1 in points allowed, but they were 2nd behind Pittsburgh (by two points), which surprised me (Pittsburgh also had the #1 defense by yards allowed). But ok, 2nd in points allowed and 4th in yards. So it's a really, really good defense....an excellent one, in fact. Just two years ago they were #4 in points allowed. They've proven they have ability. We'll see if they can do it two years in a row but I have very little reason to think they won't be very good.
Not saying they aren't a good D, saying they aren't #1 by a wide margin, and there is every possibility they could decline in 2012.

In 2012 they play the AFCE and NFCN. In 2011 they played the AFCN and the NFCE. In 2011 the AFCN produced three playoff teams. Hard to argue that the AFCE is better than that. It's probably a slightly tougher schedule on paper, but you never know how that will work out.

We will see how that plays out. I was simply responding to your claim that the division they play in makes them more likely to do well by poiinting out the nondivision schedule looks tough.
You also missed on the fact they play the #1 teams in the 2 other NFC divisions, and last year they were 3rd or 4th (dont remember which)

I think GREAT is an exaggeation. I understand he took over a poor program at Stanford, but he had 1 GREAT year in 4. Not trying to trash him just saying he hasn't proven to be a coach that elevates his team above others by being there just yet.

Ok. I think he's excellent. I'm sure he will have some bad years in the NFL. I'm not convinced next year will be one of them.

Oh God, rejuvinated Randy Moss. Ok, I'm going to just ignore this part of the discussion because we have moved to fantasy land.

Ok, you say so.

Not saying they aren't a good D, saying they aren't #1 by a wide margin, and there is every possibility they could decline in 2012.

They could. It's possible.

We will see how that plays out. I was simply responding to your claim that the division they play in makes them more likely to do well by poiinting out the nondivision schedule looks tough.
You also missed on the fact they play the #1 teams in the 2 other NFC divisions, and last year they were 3rd or 4th (dont remember which)

And we all know that those kinds of things can change quickly from one year to the next. NE will play Denver next year, b/c the Broncos won their division. Do we really think that will be a more difficult game than if they were slated to play the Chargers? And how certain are we that the 2012 Giants are going to be a tougher opponent than the 2012 Eagles? I, for one, am not at all certain of that. So again, you're talking about an on-paper schedule, which could be very different from how hard it is in real life.

Ok. I think he's excellent. I'm sure he will have some bad years in the NFL. I'm not convinced next year will be one of them.

Ok, you say so.

They could. It's possible.

And we all know that those kinds of things can change quickly from one year to the next. NE will play Denver next year, b/c the Broncos won their division. Do we really think that will be a more difficult game than if they were slated to play the Chargers? And how certain are we that the 2012 Giants are going to be a tougher opponent than the 2012 Eagles? I, for one, am not at all certain of that. So again, you're talking about an on-paper schedule, which could be very different from how hard it is in real life.

Remember we are coming from the starting point of me saying I don't believe 1 good season proves they have 'arrived' as an elite team.
Longshots like Moss all of a sudden being better than the guy who flunked out of the league 2 years ago don't really answer to that. Whether Harbaugh is a great is still to proven in the most generous of analysis. Whether a defense stays excellent after 1 excellent year is no guarantee, and the entire discussion about the schedule was you adding it, not me.

I'm not sure what you have added that would be a good argument that they are a proven elite team after 1 good season.
It seems you are creating an argument where once doesn't exist.

teams dont usually go 13-3 by accident...even if the 49ers dont have the success they had last year its not like they are going to regress overnight...they kept their core intact, and improved their wr corps.

last year crabtree was the only solid WR, now theyve added Moss, manningham...a marked improvement.

its like saying that the detroit Lions will go back to being an 0-16 team...I just dont see it happening.

Why is everyone assuming that Moss 1yr removed from the NFL which followed his worst season ever who potentially has an Alex Smith caliber quarterback throwing to him is an improvement over anyone?

Manningham, sure, probably a legitimate improvement over most their WR, but Moss?

Why is everyone assuming that Moss 1yr removed from the NFL which followed his worst season ever who potentially has an Alex Smith caliber quarterback throwing to him is an improvement over anyone?

Manningham, sure, probably a legitimate improvement over most their WR, but Moss?

Moss' problem has always been his motivation, not his athletic talent...in 2010 he simply was not motivated IMO...and the guy still put together a better season than Ocho had last year.

on the 49ers he will be the #1 or #2 target considering the quality of options on that team...I think he will have a decent season..maybe 700yards, 5TD's. he clearly wants to prove something after his lackluster 2010

if plaxico burress at 37 can put up 600yds and 8tds with sanchez throwing to him, why cant Moss who is 2years younger and more talented?

Last edited:
Per ESPN radio, Flynn to Seattle for 3/26 (I could have misheard that 26 number, as there was noise in the background)

Per ESPN radio, Flynn to Seattle for 3/26 (I could have misheard that 26 number, as there was noise in the background)

Wow if the Dolphins couldn't sign him with his offensive coordinator as their coach that's unbelievable.

Miami strikes out again! It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic

Wow if the Dolphins couldn't sign him with his offensive coordinator as their coach that's unbelievable.

Miami strikes out again! It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic

I'm looking at the QB situation league-wide and I'm seeing either Smith or Hasselbeck having to rely on Miami, and vice versa. If it's Hasselbeck, does Miami grab Tannehill and have him sit behind Hasselbeck for a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back