PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The perceived need at Wide Reciever

Status
Not open for further replies.

New England Pride

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I'm a little curious why Bill believes we need a high end Wr. Obviously he sees it as a need with rumors of Jackson/Marshall/Cooks. Was Hogan not what Bill thought he could be? Does Bill think Mitchell isn't worth investing alot of snaps in? The combination of Edelman/Amendola being a little older?

I'm sure we can all agree that we do need another reciever, but they aren't exactly looking at depth players.

Opinions/thoughts?

Brady makes Hogan good, and in fairness, Hogan's pretty good on his own, but the fact of the matter is that he's not an elite wideout. As Brady ages, he's not going to be able to do that thing where he makes mediocre to decent talent look like studs. Actual elite talent in offensive positions will be required to win football games in the not too distant future. Loading up in preparation for that time will extend the playoff window should we decide to, or have no choice but to, still ride Brady a few extra years into his decline

Say the Plan A for a replacement QB falls through in a year or 2, for example, Brissett never hones his accuracy to an acceptable level, and Brady is still the BPA by default even when he's merely pretty good. Having an elite wideout becomes all the more critical at that point.

WRs lack of speed hurt them VS Texans and first 3Qs of Super Bowl.

People here want the pats to put madden-like numbers...

If BB sees a need at WR it would be due to Edelman's age and the fact his contract is running out.

The Pats offense needs a good slot WR to run. It is one of the key signatures that has been on nearly all of Brady's career and plays to his strength.

BB particularly is looking at Cooks cause he knows how important the slot spot is to Brady.

Or it could be not having gronk, ya know.
Not having Gronk is the default state, I hope you realize. And an elite wideout takes work off Gronk's plate and may help keep him healthy

People here want the pats to put madden-like numbers...
The smart ones here know that its about having an offense that can go up againt press and zone.

This team needs another body at WR. Is Floyd the answer? Maybe they dont see it.

Isn't Edelman due for a contract extension next season? May be they are preparing to replace him? That's just a thought.

I'm a little curious why Bill believes we need a high end Wr. Obviously he sees it as a need with rumors of Jackson/Marshall/Cooks. Was Hogan not what Bill thought he could be? Does Bill think Mitchell isn't worth investing alot of snaps in? The combination of Edelman/Amendola being a little older?

I'm sure we can all agree that we do need another reciever, but they aren't exactly looking at depth players.

Opinions/thoughts?
My opinion is first rumors are only rumors.
Marshall and Jackson were obviously never serious interest.
If you believe the rumors I think that BB feels he is in a position with the cap space he has to add a luxury item.

There are needs and wants. For almost every season he has been here, because of the talent in the roster and the cost to keep it he has only been able to address need. With the space we have this year he can go get want too.

Not having Gronk is the default state, I hope you realize. And an elite wideout takes work off Gronk's plate and may help keep him healthy

Not at the expense of our defense

Or it could be not having gronk, ya know.

Having Gronk has been a luxury. What he can do to open up the offense and allow JE and DA to operate can't be duplicated. Without Gronk the Pats lose the mismatch advantage and are vulnerable to press man coverage. It's looking forward.

Opinions/thoughts?

Every year, we have people here who insist that the team doesn't need WR help.
Every year, BB looks for WR help.

This is a lather, rinse, repeat scenario.

Do we know for sure what Bill (Belichick, I presume) wants? You're siting rumors as BB's gospel.

Our only reliably productive starting WR is over 30 and gets hurt sometimes. Just because the group did a good job last year doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. For instance, I think Hogan is better used as a Stallworth-like puzzle piece rather than a full time #2.

Our only reliably productive starting WR is over 30 and gets hurt sometimes. Just because the group did a good job last year doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. For instance, I think Hogan is better used as a Stallworth-like puzzle piece rather than a full time #2.

Exactly. Especially with Hogan who you arent spending a ton of money on. JE is Going to wear down. DA is a role player, MM is an unknown really. Not sure what is happenning with Floyd.

They absolutely should go out and get a big time play maker considering they have the money to do so while still fielding a great D. This is the time to do it

Says who? Diana russini?
That whole Butler + #32 for Cooks thing began with a "Thinking out loud ..." tweet from Ryan Hannable about 9:30am. Then Russini turned it into "sources say".....

Getting a rookie WR is always a crap shoot, as we have seen in the past. Being able to obtain a top flight speed wr that can score from anywhere on the field and who has excelled in a complicated offense is very difficult. Corners can generally come in and play as rookies.....WRs not so much.

Patriots have an aging group.
Would not be surprised to see Edlemen take less snaps this season. Cooks in the slot with MM on the outside. Hogan would then be brought in in certain packages or spell Edlemen on the outside. They probably will also draft a guy.

The draft is supposedly deep in CB as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes