PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats practice squad & workout/visit thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Could Johnson become our full time FB sooner rather than later? Love me some Develin but he is kinda old.

So does Tyree get a thousand dollars for being on the PS for a day?

Could Johnson become our full time FB sooner rather than later? Love me some Develin but he is kinda old.

I doubt it for 2019 but they may see potential for him to take over next year. The block that he made near the goal line this preseason was eye opening. He is a strong dude. Develin was still one of the best fullbacks in the NFL last year, though, and adds toughness and grit to the offense. As Kyed mentioned, they probably want to have a second fullback available, in case of injury....may mean that we are in store for a lot of ground and pound this year.

A team needs THREE WR's plus a backup and an emergency backup, who is often on the Practice Squad.

A team needs at least 6 preferably 7 WRs to conduct proper practice with full WR scout team without burdening/risking starters. Last year they looked thinner at the position bc we didn't know Etling was part of WR scout team. You have Meyers and Olszewski as your “core“ scout WRs and then you have to add Slater or Dorsett (or Burkhead) to run multiple scout WR sets which might not be ideal. Being thin at TE as well another young receiver on PS would not be a bad idea . also from development stand point. Both R.Davis and Patterson did a solid job at WR and ST and i hope one of them could be back.

Its a tryout period for all new additions so PS will be quite a revolving door for some time..

According to Doug Kyed, the Patriots did not declare the International exception on Jakob Johnson, so he is counted against the Patriots 10 man practice squad.

If they had used the exemption Johnson would not have been allowed to join the 53. Now he is. Hmmmmm..........

So are they going to wait forever to sign those last 2 lol? I want immediate satisfaction.

Well, you know what to do.

Pick up the phone and call BB!

According to Doug Kyed, the Patriots did not declare the International exception on Jakob Johnson, so he is counted against the Patriots 10 man practice squad.

If they had used the exemption Johnson would not have been allowed to join the 53. Now he is. Hmmmmm..........
Interesting, as Johnson isn't really needed this year and they could have had another practice squad spot while training Johnson for next year. I guess the Patriots view the benefit of having a backup fullback in case of a Develin injury as being more valuable than an extra practice squad spot, especially with Beck gone.

Interesting, as Johnson isn't really needed this year and they could have had another practice squad spot while training Johnson for next year. I guess the Patriots view the benefit of having a backup fullback in case of a Develin injury as being more valuable than an extra practice squad spot, especially with Beck gone.

Or maybe because the team is short a TE they plan to use Develin as 3rd TE and might need another blocker when the cold weather comes.

A team needs THREE WR's plus a backup and an emergency backup, who is often on the Practice Squad.

More like at least 4+1 especially for teams that don't have a great hybrid TE.

I like this move a lot. Develin plays a third of offensive snaps--without a reliable fullback their playbook would be limited. Johnson looked good and seems like great insurance to have handy.

Where's the third quarterback?

This team still needs a 3rd QB arm. I'll be surprised if one isn't added this week.

So we get to watch Nick Brosette take every other O snap in 12 hours worth of PS game broadcast, and there was never a chance of him being anything on the Patriots. Either a tough process, or not that much is decided in those games.

I guess we are banking on Guy and Shelton staying healthy this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back