PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Defense ~ A Return To Dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DL was collapsing the pocket around Flacco all night. Most of the time, the linemen were working through blatant holds that weren't being called. Flacco also made some timely releases.

The pass rush in that game was abysmmal. Blaming the refs may be the excuse you choose to use, but there was absolutely no pressure at all.
On a scale of 1 to 10, the pressure on Flacco was a 1.

By any measure or assessment the defense has already improved to this point and historically is likely to get better.
Too many people expect a static perfection instead of a process. For those of us who accept process over static perfection on demand, this defense is a fun group to watch grow.

Yep, I get frustrated when they can't make the big stop, but I must admit they are making more of them this year and are young and rising.

I have almost given up coming to the board anymore Grid. The weekly litany of narrow minded observations and closed minded arguments make coming here a waste of time. The only reason to come is curiosity to see who is the newest target of the haters is, and/or how many new ways they can they continue to attack the old stand bys over and over again.

Last season the defense average giving up 411 yds per game, which is an astonishing number considering that over the last 3rd of the season, the defense actually IMPROVED their numbers. This season the defense has given up an average of 366 yds per game. That's already a 20% improvement, and as you so aptly pointed out we are still well into the learning curve portion of the season. You should also consider that there are only 3 players (Wilfolk, Gregory, and Ninko) who play major roles AND have more than 5 years experience in the league. That's just 3 out of about 14 who see regular snaps

That's a very young defense and while the basic techniques are the same, the defensive coaches are still experimenting with how best to utilize the 4-3 alignment, and the lack of any discernible blitzing through the first 4 games add to the reasons we can look forward to better results as the season goes on and the defensive playbook expands.

Plus the one big question that is key to defensive success, especially with this bend but don't break team, has been answered in the affirmative. That is its STILL a turn over machine (currently leading the league)

BOTTOM LINE - as usual Grid, the spoiled haters once again are so self involved with their own self loathing and too busy with their individual attacks on their targets of the moment that they fail to recognize the one abundantly clear fact that can't be questioned on any level. That the defense is substantially better this season. By any measure or assessment the defense has already improved to this point and historically is likely to get better.

For a lot fans that is good news. But for some here, it will be taken as a challenge to dig deeper into their bag of darkness to find a new target to mercilessly go after, and badger their fellow fans with ceaseless negativity. :rolleyes:

Giving up on the board is ridiculous,ken.You're putting too much emotion into your analysis and posting.

I,too,have my ups and downs while watching the games.However,afterwards,all I'm looking at is wins and losses,not style points.

I don't really care how many yards the defense gives up.Any high-powered offense,in today's NFL,is going to give up a lot of yards and time of possession.

I'm looking at the point differential,turnover ratio and what my brain sees,not what my heart feels.

Ask yourself 2 questions:Can the Patriots outscore the opponent?....And can they they win a low scoring game?.

If your answer to both is yes,as is mine,then the rest of those myriad stats,is mere chatter.This is what keeps me sane,until our inevitable Super Bowl victory....It's the Hope,never the Regret.:yeahthat:

To the OP's point #6: I believe the bucket of spit was normally injured, dragging down the whole unit :)

I join you in psychedness. I think the days are gone when we have to mope around the message board saying "this defense doesn't scare anybody."

Right now, it's still true... but that's only because (a) well, the full potential of this monstrosity has yet to truly demonstrate itself, and (b) we're an "improved" group over 2011.

The secondary is, of course, still the chronic concern. But a defective secondary looks much less defective when the LOS is under one's firm control. That's the direction this group is going.

Now it's a matter of them living up to this glowing review for a few games running and earning their NFL props. Right now, they're a talented group, but still not talented enough to make that secondary adequate. Just truth my brother.

Know what I'd like to see? Much like the Bills game, I'd like to see the 2012 season become a lower and lower point total for all the offenses we face (of course, I'd like an outlier shutout against Seyton this week, but I digress). I'd like it to sneak up on people... Ho hum, the Pats kept someone to 17... then 14... then back up to 21... then 10... then 3... that sort of thing. I'd like to turn on my TV in January as they set up the pre-game for the playoff game, and hear them noticing for the first time that the NE scoring defense has been the best in the league since October.

I mean, since we're being irrational fans and all.

In that spirit, let us hope that Goodell does not insist that replacement refs call all the Pats' games, on the excuse that the regular crews are afraid to be in the way of the world-threatening ferocity with which the 2012 Patriots defense brings it.

And let us pray for opposing quarterbacks. May God have mercy on their souls.

Bill won't.

Provisionally on the bandwagon,

PFnV

A lot of you have to reread the title and the first post of this clown thread. This is not a dominating defense.

Yea, it's improved.... when you're at the bottom, it's pretty tough not to....

Dominating (lol)

The clown who started this thread said the defense will carry this team.....

Now the "we've improved" crowd is defending this abortion of a thread that has no basis in reality but hey, go Patriots.

Last edited:
A lot of you have to reread the title and the first post of this clown thread. This is not a dominating defense.

Yea, it's improved.... when you're at the bottom, it's pretty tough not to....

Dominating (lol)

The clown who started this thread said the defense will carry this team.....

Now the "we've improved" crowd is defending this abortion of a thread that has no basis in reality but hey, go Patriots.

You sound very...bitter towards me, my friend.

Good luck with that. :)

You sound very...bitter towards me, my friend.

Good luck with that. :)
so many narrow minded haters (as brother ken has mentioned) so little time.

I have almost given up coming to the board anymore Grid. The weekly litany of narrow minded observations and closed minded arguments make coming here a waste of time. The only reason to come is curiosity to see who is the newest target of the haters is, and/or how many new ways they can they continue to attack the old stand bys over and over again.

Last season the defense average giving up 411 yds per game, which is an astonishing number considering that over the last 3rd of the season, the defense actually IMPROVED their numbers. This season the defense has given up an average of 366 yds per game. That's already a 20% improvement, and as you so aptly pointed out we are still well into the learning curve portion of the season. You should also consider that there are only 3 players (Wilfolk, Gregory, and Ninko) who play major roles AND have more than 5 years experience in the league. That's just 3 out of about 14 who see regular snaps

That's a very young defense and while the basic techniques are the same, the defensive coaches are still experimenting with how best to utilize the 4-3 alignment, and the lack of any discernible blitzing through the first 4 games add to the reasons we can look forward to better results as the season goes on and the defensive playbook expands.

Plus the one big question that is key to defensive success, especially with this bend but don't break team, has been answered in the affirmative. That is its STILL a turn over machine (currently leading the league)

BOTTOM LINE - as usual Grid, the spoiled haters once again are so self involved with their own self loathing and too busy with their individual attacks on their targets of the moment that they fail to recognize the one abundantly clear fact that can't be questioned on any level. That the defense is substantially better this season. By any measure or assessment the defense has already improved to this point and historically is likely to get better.

For a lot fans that is good news. But for some here, it will be taken as a challenge to dig deeper into their bag of darkness to find a new target to mercilessly go after, and badger their fellow fans with ceaseless negativity. :rolleyes:
I feel the same way, every year there seems to be a new whipping boy. In the past they've included Gronk, Spikes, Edelman, Moss, Brady, Ninko to name a few. All a player has to do is have one bad game, or a few bad plays and that player is a bust a wast of a pick and should be benched or cut. It goes on and one, no matter how much effort YOU may put into disproving the notion that said whipping boy is actually playing well its like talking to the wall or worse you get attacked for you obvious stupidity. The team is a work in progress and usually doesn't jell completely until november or december. I gave up years ago, i come here mainly to read the analysis of posters such as yourself, pats psycho, and Grid

Last edited:
I feel the same way, every year there seems to be a new whipping boy. In the past they've included Gronk, Spikes, Edelman, Moss, Brady, Ninko to name a few. All a player has to do is have one bad game, or a few bad plays and that player is a bust a wast of a pick and should be benched or cut. It goes on and one, no matter how much effort YOU may put into disproving the notion that said whipping boy is actually playing well its like talking to the wall or worse you get attacked for you obvious stupidity. The team is a work in progress and usually doesn't jell completely until november or december. I gave up years ago, i come here mainly to read the analysis of posters such as yourself, pats psycho, and Grid

Bless you, Brother Blue.

I'm a big fan of your Work, as well, so 'tis an Honor to be included on that list. :cool:

.This is what keeps me sane,

uh...yeah...uh....just a FYI ,Grid...I'm watching you....sanity??...yeah, that's a pretty lengthy leap you're taking there.............
microwave.gif

To the OP's point #6: I believe the bucket of spit was normally injured, dragging down the whole unit :)

I join you in psychedness. I think the days are gone when we have to mope around the message board saying "this defense doesn't scare anybody."

Right now, it's still true... but that's only because (a) well, the full potential of this monstrosity has yet to truly demonstrate itself, and (b) we're an "improved" group over 2011.

The secondary is, of course, still the chronic concern. But a defective secondary looks much less defective when the LOS is under one's firm control. That's the direction this group is going.

Now it's a matter of them living up to this glowing review for a few games running and earning their NFL props. Right now, they're a talented group, but still not talented enough to make that secondary adequate. Just truth my brother.

Know what I'd like to see? Much like the Bills game, I'd like to see the 2012 season become a lower and lower point total for all the offenses we face (of course, I'd like an outlier shutout against Seyton this week, but I digress). I'd like it to sneak up on people... Ho hum, the Pats kept someone to 17... then 14... then back up to 21... then 10... then 3... that sort of thing. I'd like to turn on my TV in January as they set up the pre-game for the playoff game, and hear them noticing for the first time that the NE scoring defense has been the best in the league since October.

I mean, since we're being irrational fans and all.

In that spirit, let us hope that Goodell does not insist that replacement refs call all the Pats' games, on the excuse that the regular crews are afraid to be in the way of the world-threatening ferocity with which the 2012 Patriots defense brings it.

And let us pray for opposing quarterbacks. May God have mercy on their souls.

Bill won't.

Provisionally on the bandwagon,

PFnV

My God, I love your Work, Brother Virginia ~ State Of. :cool:

And, yes: I agree that the aforementioned Bucket of Spit's chronic health issues were a drag on the group. :D

I hear ya, Brother Ken.

There is so much to get excited about, with this team!!

I'll tell ya...

One of the Great Pleasures for me ~ for you, for Blue, for Virginia Fan, there, for Brother Mayo, and for the dozens of insightfull Fans here who truly appreciate This Amazing & Astonishing Era ~ is savoring the Process.

Simply watching each year's Team develop, one week at a time, under the sage, patient guidance of one of the very greatest FootBall Minds of all time is an annual pleasure and privilege.

As they evolve from a relatively raw September crew to what is usually a far more confident, comfortable, instinctive December version of itself, they often make me think of the American Army in World War II: stumbling and bumbling around The Maghreb during their first serious Action in 1942, but, by the Summer of 1944, a confident, caulky, ferocious Juggernaut.

Only 1 team gets to win it, each year, which means that the odds are always 31 to 1 against us...And yet Coach Bill The Mad (Genius) and his Soldiers have beat the odds and won it all 3 out'f the last 11 times.

Far more importantly: 11 times out of those 11, I have felt like my Team was so shrewdly led ~ and with such Passion and Dedication on Mad Bill's part ~ that it was not just a pleasure but a flat out Privilege to root for these guys.

For those "Fans" who are so terrified of feeling the sharp sting of the agony of Defeat...that they spend their entire lives focusing on the Negative, and always fail to find the courage to simply go All In emotionally, and simply root for their Team ~ especially this team ~ with all their Heart, and just believe in them...I have little but Pity.

The pass rush in that game was abysmmal. Blaming the refs may be the excuse you choose to use, but there was absolutely no pressure at all.
On a scale of 1 to 10, the pressure on Flacco was a 1.
Yeah, because a lot of the time the ends were being slung to the ground.

One day, you'll stop misrepresenting my posts because it's ******* annoying.

I agree with patfanken and reflexblue. It is much more unpleasant to come to this board than it used to be. Who are all of these negative nellies? Most have a handful of posts, while they pursue the object of their hatred.

Go root for the Country Club Sox or your favorte tidlywinks team, and leave us Patfans alone!

The defense is much better than last year, and, as always, will be much better by the end of the year, absent major injuries.

That being said, a "return to dominance" assessment is premature at best. I was especially struck by this rose-colored part of the analysis.

"6 ~ Being able to boast the aggregate Pass Rushing Ferocity and Run Defending Tenacity of Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Jermaine Cunningham, Trevor Scott, Jake Bequette, and Justin Francis on one roster is absolutely mind-boggling."

Jones was a great acquisition, but do we really feel that our pass-rushers, other than Jones, are greatly feared?

The defense is a work in progress with a long way to go. We might have a top 5 defense by year end. That would be awesome. Top ten, and being able to stop a late drive would be quite sufficient, and a great improvement.
============================
DEFENSIVE LINE
Ninkovich is undersized. That is OK if you are one of the very best pass-rushers. He is not. He also has been having problems setting the edge. In the 4-3, Ninkovich is much better as a linebacker. Overall the DL is greatly improved with the coming of Jones, and with Cunningham thriving in the 2012 defense. Overall, we are much improved.

LINEBACKER
We are fine when the starters are playing. It says volumes when our best backup was just signed this week.

CORNERBACK
No one is afraid of our corners. They may be improved form 2011 because of the better play of the DL. Each of the corners may be somewhat better than in 2011, but that is a very low bar. HOWEVER, I am not negative. There is enough talent for Belichick to put together the schemes to win. This group will need to be able to step up in the playoffs, especially alte in games.

SAFETIES
Yes, this group is great improvement over 2011. However, they are still, by far, our weakest unit. That is made obvious when folks think that our rugby player would an improvement over what we have in Chung and Gregory. Wilson is the key. It will be difficult to hide the lack of talent of this group. It will take solid play by the front seven, and good scheming.

BOTTOM LINE
We were pretty awful last year, with the offense picking up the slack. This year, we are much better with the additions of the 3 top rookies and Gregory. In the end, the key may be the play from our corners. We certainly have the potential to be solid with McCourty, Arrington, Moore and Dowling.

Last edited:
The defense is a LE away from being dominant.

Ninkovich shouldn't be a starting DE. If Cunningham can improve than we are looking at a top 10 D

Doesn't a dominant defense need at least a mediocre secondary?

The defense is a LE away from being dominant.

Ninkovich shouldn't be a starting DE. If Cunningham can improve than we are looking at a top 10 D

The stupidity of this thread continues to make me chuckle and the defenders of it are equally as comical.

P.S.
Before you blame it on the offense, I expect the offense to struggle against the #1 defense but our "dominating defense" struggling against that poor offense of Seattle... again, glad this one is bookmarked so it doesn't get lost. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back