PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots Defense ~ A Return To Dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chandler Jones was invisible today. Having no pressure really killed us today.

He was getting doubled a lot early. I don't know what was going on later in the game.

I am sure you will get it's not the defense's fault people, they have been saying that since the 2007 superbowl..Fact is the defense has cost this team 3 superbowls including the collapse in INDY...

The offense scored 14 points in 2007, 17 points in 2011. That typically doesn't get in done, and it didn't. Also, the offense disappeared in Indy in 2006. They got the benefit of an Asante pick-6 and two long Ellis Hobbs runbacks and couldn't move the ball when it mattered (couldn't even get a single first down).

I'm going to predict a lot of this "return to dominance" talk subsides after the game against the Ravens. I'll be happy if it's true but I think there are still a lot of things that can be exploited on this defense.... hope I'm wrong.

Well, at least my spidey senses still work.

Dude, get a grip. The defense was absolutely brutal tonight. That's your defense...awful. This was their first real test and they got totally smoked...500 yards...31 points...ugh!

Could not agree more. I said this topic was premature. Game 1 and 2 they played some weak QBs and inept offenses. They second they play a good QB and offense they not only get their house lit on fire, but the whole neighborhood in a 5 mile radius lit on fire as well. Once again this D has more questions than answers.

Edit: Did not mean to post this here. Wrong thread.

Last edited:
The defense played ok tonight,but when they needed to step it up most they folded. Who here did not know when the Ravens got the ball back with two minutes they would march down the field and score. This is like a broken record twice in Super Bowls and last year at home against the Giants. :(

Well, at least my spidey senses still work.

Your spidey sense sucks.

If you actually watched the Game, rather'n simply read the final score and then throw your arms up in horror, you'd know that the historically disgusting job by the Refs had more to do with those 31 points than our D did.

Yes, that's a dramatic claim.

But anyone with an objective mind who has the intelligence and the emotional strength ~ the courage ~ to admit that some things are simply beyond our control ~ as opposed to those pathetic souls who feel entitled to 19-0 seasons every year and lash out bitterly when they don't get them ~ and that we simply got raped, tonight, by an officiating crew that is either unspeakably incompetent, unspeakably cowardly and intimidatable...or unspeakably corrupt...knows that the Defense ~ though it certainly made its share of mistakes in their 3rd week together, something I fully expected ~ played far better than the final score.

Not that that matters, much, in the broad scope of things.

As I explained to you quite recently ~ and as clearly sailed MILES over your head: My Prediction was based on the Season, not on 3 Games.

The Patriots didn't show me anything tonight to budge me from my previous expectations that they will probably rock and roll their way to a 13-3 record, while the whining, squealing, gutless, cowardly, cheating, villainous, verminous scum of Baltimore scrape and scramble for a Wild Card berth.

And you can count on this: I will keep this Thread going, my friend.

And we will see who's still running their mouths, 13 weeks hence.

So you only see this team losing ONE more game this year after what you have seen thus far??....REALLY?!....Now that my friend ...is a "dramatic" prediction!!!...imho....that is just rose colored glass wearing homerism!!
Your spidey sense sucks.

If you actually watched the Game, rather'n simply read the final score and then throw your arms up in horror, you'd know that the historically disgusting job by the Refs had more to do with those 31 points than our D did.

But anyone with an objective mind who has the intelligence and the emotional strength ~ the courage ~ to admit that some things are simply beyond our control ~ as opposed to those pathetic souls who feel entitled to 19-0 seasons every year and lash out bitterly when they don't get them ~ and that we simply got raped, tonight, by an officiating crew that is either unspeakably incompetent, unspeakably cowardly and intimidatable...or unspeakably corrupt...knows that the Defense ~ though it certainly made its share of mistakes in their 3rd week together, something I fully expected ~ played far better than the final score.

As I explained to you quite recently ~ and as clearly sailed MILES over your head: My Prediction was based on the Season, not on 3 Games.

The Patriots didn't show me anything tonight to budge me from my previous expectations that they will probably rock and roll their way to a 13-3 record, while the whining, squealing, gutless, cowardly, cheating, villainous, verminous scum of Baltimore scrape and scramble for a Wild Card berth.

So you only see this team losing ONE more game this year after what you have seen thus far??....REALLY?!....Now that my friend ...is a "dramatic" prediction!!!...imho....that is just rose colored glass wearing homerism!!

What did you expect from an OTG thread? Insightful, unbiased analysis?

Your spidey sense sucks.

You're just being a homer and not in any sense objectivity. You have to defend your thread because it's dumb and you look fooling for making this statement when you certainly don't understand the play on the field. Yes, the refs sucked... for everyone...not just your homer sense of injustice.

I don't need to write a book to see they're not that good.

I guess Troy and Ty are wrong too right? Troy made an excellent point if you were listening to what was happening with the safety play and how the corners weren't doing their job. Even Ty said McCourtney's 4 defensed passes was a deceptive stat.

Keep thumping your chest though...

Last edited:
The truth is somewhere in between putting it all on the refs or all on the team.

Facts:

Interference on Mayo leading to a first down and eventually a TD was 100% wrong.

The interference on McCorty where his fingers brushed the facemask and extended a drive never should have been called.

Not calling the Smith push off especially after you call the Edelman one is just awful.

Oher took down both Jones and Nincovich and no flags.

Spikes called for a chuck within 5 yards.

The defense gave up 503 yards.

McCorty dropped two interceptions that he had solidly in his hands. Yes one Smith made a good play on one of them but you have to secure that. McCorty was awful and torched.

Arrington falls down when he could have secured the game. He was also beaten often.

The linebackers had a bad game with gap responsibility. Mayo and Hightower in particular were sealed and out of position many times leading to big gains.

D-Line never hit Flacco and barely pressured him.

A lot of those yards and points don't happen if not for the crappy refs but some of the play nonetheless was really bad.

Some interesting defensive observations by Reiss based on snap count. Wasn't always exactly the same defense we've been lauding on the field including at critical junctures in this game.

ANALYSIS: The Patriots had been rotating rookie Tavon Wilson in at safety in the base defense at times, but didn’t do so Sunday night. The safety play seemed to hurt the Patriots. Wilson played solely in the dime. … The snap counts reflect a defense that ran out of some gas late, as the Patriots called on reserves like Trevor Scott for extended snaps in the fourth quarter when the Ravens mounted their comeback. Chandler Jones, arguably the team’s best pass rusher, wasn’t on the field for most of the series in which the Ravens closed to 30-28. Jones had played all 32 first-half snaps and the first 24 snaps of the second half, but was rotated out on that drive. … When defensive tackle Vince Wilfork was subbed out on the Ravens’ final drive of the second half, the Patriots had some trouble in the running game. … Sterling Moore was once again was the nickelback over Ras-I Dowling. … Linebackers Dont’a Hightower and Brandon Spikes split snaps in the nickel.
Defensive snaps: No safety rotation - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

It's time to give credit where credit is due here...Belichick has failed as a defense "genius." That characterization is just not applicable anymore. Reliable Belichick defenses are a very distant memory at this point in time...like not since 2004. Choking in the clutch has become the norm - starting with Super Bowl 42. I can't remember the last time a Belichick coached defense held up under pressure in the clutch. Of course part of the problem has been Belichick's incompetence in the personnel department (what number are we up to now with failed DB draft picks?). Also, making matters worse, Belichick gets too conservative on offense when he should be more mindful of putting teams away with a more aggressive style of play (particularly when considering the vast and reoccurring deficiencies of the defense in the clutch).

He was getting doubled a lot early. I don't know what was going on later in the game.
He was being held and wrestled to the ground by Oher. No flags.

The truth is somewhere in between putting it all on the refs or all on the team.

Facts:

Interference on Mayo leading to a first down and eventually a TD was 100% wrong.

The interference on McCorty where his fingers brushed the facemask and extended a drive never should have been called.

Not calling the Smith push off especially after you call the Edelman one is just awful.

Oher took down both Jones and Nincovich and no flags.

Spikes called for a chuck within 5 yards.

The defense gave up 503 yards.

McCorty dropped two interceptions that he had solidly in his hands. Yes one Smith made a good play on one of them but you have to secure that. McCorty was awful and torched.

Arrington falls down when he could have secured the game. He was also beaten often.

The linebackers had a bad game with gap responsibility. Mayo and Hightower in particular were sealed and out of position many times leading to big gains.

D-Line never hit Flacco and barely pressured him.

A lot of those yards and points don't happen if not for the crappy refs but some of the play nonetheless was really bad.
The DL was collapsing the pocket around Flacco all night. Most of the time, the linemen were working through blatant holds that weren't being called. Flacco also made some timely releases.

The DL was collapsing the pocket around Flacco all night. Most of the time, the linemen were working through blatant holds that weren't being called. Flacco also made some timely releases.

They had zero hits on the QB and I only remember Jones getting any pressure and even then Flacco rolled to his right for open throws. I agree there was some holding especially against Jones and Nincovich. Why then did the Ravens have sacks and knock downs inspite of the refs not blowing the whistle?

The bleating that I'm reading, hereabouts, is quite amusing.

Last week ~ the first week without those abominable Scab Referees ~ our Defense gave up 28 Points...yet pretty much managed to destroy Beefalo, sacking the QuarterBack 3 times, taking the Ball away 6 times, and generally terrorizing them.

Every September of the Belichick Era is a virtual extension of Camp, as any Fan with any sense knows.

Now, I believe, is when we'll start to get a much better idea what this Defense will be made of.

And the tendency is for Mad Bill's teams to become better defined ~ and better ~ over the course'f the year.

But by all means: bleat on, Bleaters. :cool:

I have almost given up coming to the board anymore Grid. The weekly litany of narrow minded observations and closed minded arguments make coming here a waste of time. The only reason to come is curiosity to see who is the newest target of the haters is, and/or how many new ways they can they continue to attack the old stand bys over and over again.

Last season the defense average giving up 411 yds per game, which is an astonishing number considering that over the last 3rd of the season, the defense actually IMPROVED their numbers. This season the defense has given up an average of 366 yds per game. That's already a 20% improvement, and as you so aptly pointed out we are still well into the learning curve portion of the season. You should also consider that there are only 3 players (Wilfolk, Gregory, and Ninko) who play major roles AND have more than 5 years experience in the league. That's just 3 out of about 14 who see regular snaps

That's a very young defense and while the basic techniques are the same, the defensive coaches are still experimenting with how best to utilize the 4-3 alignment, and the lack of any discernible blitzing through the first 4 games add to the reasons we can look forward to better results as the season goes on and the defensive playbook expands.

Plus the one big question that is key to defensive success, especially with this bend but don't break team, has been answered in the affirmative. That is its STILL a turn over machine (currently leading the league)

BOTTOM LINE - as usual Grid, the spoiled haters once again are so self involved with their own self loathing and too busy with their individual attacks on their targets of the moment that they fail to recognize the one abundantly clear fact that can't be questioned on any level. That the defense is substantially better this season. By any measure or assessment the defense has already improved to this point and historically is likely to get better.

For a lot fans that is good news. But for some here, it will be taken as a challenge to dig deeper into their bag of darkness to find a new target to mercilessly go after, and badger their fellow fans with ceaseless negativity. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back