PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The other trade chip no one wants to talk about....Macolm Butler, how much is he worth in a trade?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How much is Butler worth in a trade?

• He's an elite CB on a RFA contract for a year - I think he could fetch a 1st rounder for sure!

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Either one or more 2nd round draft picks

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • One or several mid-to-low round picks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combo of draft picks and starters...it depends on the team we'd be trading with (please name)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • It's not even worth entertaining this question at this point...he's worth far more to the Pats

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Butler's being traded folks

Don't really get this thinking. It was either Gilmore or Ryan. What's the difference to him? Should've just taken the extension and been a very rich man with 2 Super Bowl rings. Instead, he's wildly overplaying his hand with little negotiating power. I don't want to say I feel bad for him, but he needs a little dose of reality.

Funny, because according to Curran two years sixteen million was the exact reason Belichick wouldn't budge on Welker deal after he signed the ten million dollar franchise tag. They offered two for sixteen, Welker signed the tag for almost ten million, and Belichick made sure they didn't go a penny beyond that when they offered six million the following season. Just because you aren't capable of seeing things in terms of a bigger picture it doesn't mean Belichick can't, The Patriots may well look at this in terms of spreading the cost of the tags out over two seasons as opposed to signing him to a more costly extension. Why pay 24-28 million over two when they can get him for 21?
BB turned out to be RIGHT on Welker's market value. He was RIGHT on Bennett's market value, and very likely he is correct on Hightower and Butler's market value as well. In EVERY case he's been a LOT better than any of us here and in the media.

Back when Welker was a FA the general consencus here was $9-10MM. I know I was killed for suggesting $8MM, and he wound up getting just what BB was offering at $6MM.. Everyone, including myself thought Bennett would get $8-9MM, when reality turned out to be under $7MM. Everyone thought BB was nuts just to offer 10MM to Hightower (assuming that story was real). We all thought the bidding STARTED at $12MM. Now well past the usual feeding frenzy of the start of FA the silence has been deafening on his market. So silent, his agents have had to bring the Jets into the mix in order to create some vibe about their client.

And finally we have the mediots busily creating stories about the "unfairness" of Butler's situaltion. How he is pissed and how now we "have" to get him out of town or there will be a disaster of epic proportions, and THEN create the multiple scenarios that have him leaving., :rolleyes: It's really quite despicable.

Malcolm Butler now looking elsewhere for long term deal

If I was looking to take Malcolm Butler away from the Patriots, I would not put the ball in the Patriots hands by giving him an offer sheet. In that case, the Patriots can each match and keep Butler long term, or they can overpay and obliterate their cap room and lose the first round pick. The only team that can afford to do that is the Cleveland Browns, but if they signed away Butler it would cost them the first pick in the draft. Teams that would want to ensure they’re getting Malcolm Butler for the long term would be better off to trade for him, similar to when the Patriots landed Wes Welker in 2007. If an idiot GM wants to sign Butler to an offer sheet, more power to them because it will resolve this dispute that best benefits the Patriots

BB turned out to be RIGHT on Welker's market value. He was RIGHT on Bennett's market value, and very likely he is correct on Hightower and Butler's market value as well. In EVERY case he's been a LOT better than any of us here and in the media.

Back when Welker was a FA the general consencus here was $9-10MM. I know I was killed for suggesting $8MM, and he wound up getting just what BB was offering at $6MM.. Everyone, including myself thought Bennett would get $8-9MM, when reality turned out to be under $7MM. Everyone thought BB was nuts just to offer 10MM to Hightower (assuming that story was real). We all thought the bidding STARTED at $12MM. Now well past the usual feeding frenzy of the start of FA the silence has been deafening on his market. So silent, his agents have had to bring the Jets into the mix in order to create some vibe about their client.

And finally we have the mediots busily creating stories about the "unfairness" of Butler's situaltion. How he is pissed and how now we "have" to get him out of town or there will be a disaster of epic proportions, and THEN create the multiple scenarios that have him leaving., :rolleyes: It's really quite despicable.

Ken, I don't disagree with that but my point on Welker was that Belichick may look at it as the annual value over two seasons, and that he can look at Butler in the same way and decide two tags are no different than a two year deal worth around 21 million, instead of one at 17, thus he might be more willing to tag him again next year than many would think at 17 million.

Butler's trade value is set by the RFA tender. He is worth a first rounder, no more no less. The Pats can't get more because a team can just offer hi. A deal without trading for him.

BB knows that this is Malcolm Butler not Deion Sanders in his prime. He - well mostly his agent- is entitled to play his hand to see what he can get but he should know fully well that dog don't hunt when you're dealing with this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back