PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The other trade chip no one wants to talk about....Macolm Butler, how much is he worth in a trade?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

How much is Butler worth in a trade?

• He's an elite CB on a RFA contract for a year - I think he could fetch a 1st rounder for sure!

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Either one or more 2nd round draft picks

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • One or several mid-to-low round picks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combo of draft picks and starters...it depends on the team we'd be trading with (please name)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • It's not even worth entertaining this question at this point...he's worth far more to the Pats

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul_Survivor88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I think most of us are pretty surprised how unproductive these extension talks have been... or at least, the reported tone of them. I mean, who could blame Butler for being a little upset. He's been underpaid for two seasons, and has to deal with the "insult" of seeing someone outside the team getting a contract he feels he might deserve. And now, reports are coming in that he's been shopped around to at least 1 other team (New Orleans). Is he now still on the trading block?

Assuming him and the Pats are unable to agree to an extension (and assuming Belichick doesn't want to franchise tag him next yars, and decides to gain some value from Butler while he's still under RFA contract) what is Malcolm's trade value?

Personally, I think he's worth a 1st round pick....but with the upcoming schedule of above-average QBs and elite WRs...I'm wondering if keeping him (even for a year) is the better option. What are your thoughts?

This is a situation that would not have occurred if Butler had an experienced agent.
After three years, a player becomes a RFA and is tendered at certain levels. After
4 years, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent and is free to bargain. The
club has the option to franchise the player. Butler's agent wanted the Patriots to
forget the RFA step and make him a UFA. No team would do this.

I'll say it again. Players like Hightower had to play five seasons to get to UFA, Butler has really played two, but gets credit for three full seasons. The Patriots offered him an extension and he turned it down. I'm guessing the extension was in the 8 million a season range because he hadn't even hit restricted free agency and they were offering to extend him early, which means you take less for the security of getting your millions up front. Butler had every right to reject the deal but if he wants unrestricted free agent money he has to wait until he is an unrestricted free agent to get it. Now he can play for the 3.9 million tender or sign a deal elswhere that the Patriots have the opportunity to match. If he plays the season in the tender he becomes an unrestricted free agent and his price tag goes way way up, however if the Patriots decide to they can set aside 6-7 million this season to help pay his franchise tag next offseason and then tag him for around 17 million, but really they would be paying him 10.5 million a season a two year basis. So if they want to they can keep Butler the next two seasons for about 21-22 million. Butler will be pissed but they decided to go this route rather than take the extension. I really like Butler but I also have a tough time feeling bad for anyone who will ultimately be making 10 million a season.

I don't want to trade him

With Cooks in hand I don't either, however if they do they will definitely get a pick they can use to replace him with , and that will give them a highly rated first round corner for the next five years at a decent price. It's winvwin for the Patriots.

Some idiot wrote that the squealers should
go after butler. Like the pats would trade him there.

With Cooks in hand I don't either, however if they do they will definitely get a pick they can use to replace him with , and that will give them a highly rated first round corner for the next five years at a decent price. It's winvwin for the Patriots.

Corners (especially the elite ones) are notoriously hard to draft and develop with any kind of predictability...which is why the Pats probably rather extend Butler than risk having a major hole in their defense

I suspect he may actually be holding out for some assurance that he won't be flipped if he signs.

Some idiot wrote that the squealers should
go after butler. Like the pats would trade him there.

It's not a trade it's a signing. The Patriots signed Emmanuel Sanders as a RFA ago a fewyears back but the Steelers matched it. If the Steelers signed Sanders the Patriots could match it or take their first in return, but that hasn't happened in fourteen years.

It's not a trade it's a signing. The Patriots signed Emmanuel Sanders as a RFA ago a fewyears back but the Steelers matched it. If the Steelers signed Sanders the Patriots could match it or take their first in return, but that hasn't happened in fourteen years.

Interesting. Do tbe squealers have tbe money to pony up? Idk.

Corners (especially the elite ones) are notoriously hard to draft and develop with any kind of predictability...which is why the Pats probably rather extend Butler than risk having a major hole in their defense

Why not just tag him twice for 21 million for two seasons?

UNLESS he's notified BB he intends to sit out the year, keep him at the tender rate & let him walk next year if we can't afford the big cap $ at CB.

Interesting. Do tbe squealers have tbe money to pony up? Idk.

Probably, but they are the last team I would expect to go that route, especially since they just doled out big money to their two stars.

UNLESS he's notified BB he intends to sit out the year, keep him at the tender rate & let him walk next year if we can't afford the big cap $ at CB.

Pissah, they can look at it as a two year 21 million dollar deal by banking 7 million this season and tagging him again next offseason. That's a good deal for the Patriots as they get a great CB for two seasons at 10.5 million a seasons.

I suspect he may actually be holding out for some assurance that he won't be flipped if he signs.

Possibly, but it really doesn't enhance his status right now as they can just keep him. I would expect him to do some sitting out but it really just works against him as Belichick will simply give others his reps, and a bad season will cost him dearly. The Patriots really have him by the sack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News