PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

**The official Super Bowl thread. **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, steelers had the big statistical adv in my estimation, haven't looked it up but it seemed like they outgained GB by at least 100. Gotta protect the ball.

Steelers will be back we both know this.

actually...

Steelers won the 3rd down %
Punted 3 less times
Had about 80 more rushing yards
were behind by about 20 in passing yards
had TOP by about 5 mins

but Packers won the Turnover battle...that was it really.

no..what was it was the last GB drive that ate the clock and put them up by 6..and the stupid penalty on the ensuing kickoff

hey...that is good news...I'll call them right now! 15 minutes is all I need...

it was a crappy way to lose the game...really was...

this is it for me...

Turnovers
Steelers 3
Packers 0

entire game right there...all the miss throws by Ben, bad coverage by defense, fumble...dropped passes, whatever...Turnovers are always the key...

-3...just not Championship football.
i think the steelrs D is great but is beatable vs the pass. you guys almost lost the SB 2 yrs ago because of your defense and today also . i hope for pats sake you guys dont change the D :)

actually...

Steelers won the 3rd down %
Punted 3 less times
Had about 80 more rushing yards
were behind by about 20 in passing yards
had TOP by about 5 mins

but Packers won the Turnover battle...that was it really.

turnovers were definitely the difference in this game. If the Steelers hang onto the ball, the result could definitely be different.

On the plus side, at least you don't have to change your screen-name. j/k hope you don't hate the Pack too much after this game... you guys still have the most super bowl trophies , and I'm sure there will be more to come sooner rather than later (though we got the most world championships with 13).

Pack receivers hang onto passes that hit them right in their hands in stride and this game is blowout city. I thought Rodgers did a great job keeping his composure and coming right back to those same receivers.Good team.Good coach.Great fans.It's like N.O. last season. We are Pats fans but for the most part we are fans of good football. The Pack played the best football when it counted.

Me, I'm just glad the Not Steelers won:)

Aaron Rodgers talks like Nicolas Cage doing Elvis Presley

Have never heard him talk before, but he's a dead ringer for Cage's character from "Wild at Heart."

That is all.

Good game by both teams. Turnovers were the difference. The team that can force turnovers generally wins in the playoffs.

Ben had a pretty bad performance. 2 picks and an otherwise frustrating night. To be fair, he didn't have much of an Oline to work with tonight. I think Maurkice Pouncey being out, and the Steelers starting OT getting hurt early in this game made a pretty big impact in the Steelers lack of offensive efficiency.

Rodgers did what we knew he could do, pick apart a Steelers secondary that is vulnerable to the passing game if the QB can get the ball off quickly and the Oline can pick up the blitz. On defense, Matthews had a big game, and there was push up front by the Packers dline as well.

Going down early in playoff games at the half is never a good thing though. Steelers had to work so much harder to overcome that deficit and couldn't quite get there. They had 3 minutes left to drive the field for a TD and just couldn't get it done.

Notice that the Steelers had perhaps the best deep threat WR in the game in Wallace, but it wasn't quite enough to win them the game, not with Ben throwing the ball to the wrong team. :) Oline protection was key for the Packers in this game, and vice versa for the Steelers.

Last edited:
I think this was like the Steelers/Seahawks SB, in terms of who could play the ugliest and still win. I think it just came down to the Packers D.

The Packers WR's dropped a lot of balls. It was pretty bad. Big Ben had a pretty horrible game, then again he had a horrible game his first SB too.

I'm glad the Packers won for several reasons. I just couldn't root for the Steelers with Big Ben under center, I just couldn't do it. I also think it was a bit of strange justice for the Packers and Rodgers to win a ring the same year that Favre limps out of the league. I mean this works as a double vindication for Rodgers IMHO. Sad to think Favre goes out a little like Tiki Barber did, with a poor legacy when it could have been much different.

I think the Steelers, as mentioned above and before, truly missed Pouncey.

Green Asphalt at Cowboys Stadium

It certainly seemed that way from number of injuries and the nature of the injuries. Seems to me that their "RealGrass Matrix" plastic crap is a disaster. Good luck to the Cowboys if they think that they can be competitive playing on that stuff. Maybe bad fields (i.e. AstroTurf) is a Cowboys tradition.

The odd thing is that they can lay natural grass down but decided not to for the SB.

Re: Green Asphalt at Cowboys Stadium

Good thing they're coming here this year. Lowers the risk of losing Brady, Welker, and another important player for the season all in one game.

Why can't they just use the same stuff that's used at Gillette? Seems pretty decent to me.

The Turf at Football stadiums needs to be a managed decision by the League. There needs to be 1 approved official turf product, and one approved natural turf style. Period.

If a new company comes out with the new product, they will have to convince a college team to try their turf and showcase it to the NFL. Why do they allow so many variations of field surfaces always boggled my mind.

:snob:they should mandate the the league has to have real grass and the field can't be used for other purposes (soccer, concerts, etc.). That would be good.

Enjoyed 'watching' the game with the folks on this thread. Best feature was the lack of negativity so prominent during Pats games this season.

Tried the Chat here for the 1st time but it was completely ruined when one lone Jets troll was successfully able to dominate the forum. Folks couldn't resist the bait and leave it alone. Very little game talk.

:snob:they should mandate the the league has to have real grass and the field can't be used for other purposes (soccer, concerts, etc.). That would be good.

it might be a good idea on the surface but waht about during the 8 month or so off season how are the owners of the staduim supposed to at least break even when not using the staduim for 8 months

it might be a good idea on the surface but waht about during the 8 month or so off season how are the owners of the staduim supposed to at least break even when not using the staduim for 8 months

Plus, it's not easy to grow grass in a dome.

SanAngeloState said:
they should mandate the the league has to have real grass and the field can't be used for other purposes (soccer, concerts, etc.). That would be good.

This is an absolutely idiotic idea. But then, I consider the source..

mcgraw_wv[ said:
The Turf at Football stadiums needs to be a managed decision by the League. There needs to be 1 approved official turf product, and one approved natural turf style. Period.

The NFL has done this with football helmets.. Yet, it's well known that Riddell does not have the best anti-concussion helmets. There are at least 2 other helmet manufacturers out there who make better helmets than Riddell. Yet, the exclusive contract that the NFL has with Riddell prevents players from using them.

I'll be honest, I don't believe that there was an issue with the turf despite the injuries that occurred. Why? Well, all of the injuries were contact injuries. Not like what happened to Welker. If there were no-contact injuries, I could understand the OP's concern.. Another thing to understand is that the decision to go with "RealGrass" Matrix turf was made almost 2 years ago, prior to the stadium actually opening. The last thing to understand is that, in all likelihood, a real grass field wouldn't have survived the unseasonably cold weather that we had down here in Dallas the two weeks prior to the game. Including the Ice and Snow we got.

What ticks me off is that there is an almost total media blackout on this issue. So much so that the weak-minded among the fans (including some on this forum) don't think there is an issue.

However the players know and the owners are hoping to ignore the issue. Ever notice how the Patriots quietly replaced their green concrete and put down a surface that is much better and notice how they did it ahead of schedule; they knew that they were endangering the players. Gillette is not as good as grass but much better than it was.

Cowboys Stadium is a disgrace but the milquetoasts in the press dare not say it. At least Peter King had this to say about the things he did not like about the SB:

"g. The stadium turf. Slippery, hard, harsh."

Last edited:

That field looked real slick last night. I think they replaced the ground up black rubber pieces that make up the substrate of the turf, with something else. Something that did'nt show up on the players. The turf looked different to me last night and I was looking real close at the players for the black bits. I never saw any, bad track..... The color was off too. Just didn't look the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes