PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official 2020 UDFA Signing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing about this year's draft......no in person pro days, no in-person meetings

They had to draft based on the talent of their scouts before covid hit, or go with the known.....the combine, the big names, the knowns, the safe bets

this could be a big year for late round draftees & UDFAs......

with training camp time sure to be interesting, and pre-camp activities sure to be limited.....it is also going to be a huge year for the kids that can come in and learn quickly and have those work ethic and leadership unmeasurables

this really sets up for a year where BB just pulls players out of his ass......i know normally we see only 1 or 2 late rounders and 1 or 2 UDFAs make the roster.......but this year could break that trend.....i see at least 3 of these UDFAs that i'd be surprised not to be on the roster just based on signing bonus & scouting reports (murray, hastings & harris)......i think Coe could be an interesting PS stash (we love former wrestlers)......but there's a few other UDFAs that look interesting, too

this is going to be an odd year, for obvious reasons.....and i like the way NE has historically excelled in this area to be an advantage
Yeah will be interesting to look at this draft 5+ years from now league-wide based on those things you mention from the scouting departments having their hands tied. Wonder how it will differ or compare to other drafts in terms having more busts than usual or more surprises than usual.

Looks like JC Jackson and James White will be the only must signs next year. And given all the salary cap space cleared and the players from the last two drafts, next February is going to be huge for the Patriots in free agency.
Not to hijack, but this might not be the case, exactly.

I love me some James White. Amazing player, productive, huge playoff performances, attitude and team oriented. Love it. But he’s already survived a second contract while most other 3rd down backs move on. Can we really expect White to buck the trend again ?

Secondly, JC has been lights out. An amazing CB who’s done nothing but produce despite being a draft afterthought. Has he now out priced himself ? Will teams run by former Patriots outbid BB for his services ?

Love both players and realize NE will have $ to spend. But I think BB assigns a number to each player, regardless of how much he has to spend.

Haven’t seen anyone mention this yet but in the video about Will Hastings earlier, he talks extensively about joining Auburn as a kicker and converting to WR to stick around. Video shows him making some interesting kicks.

Just thought it was worth noting. You know Belichick. When it comes down to it he will keep Hastings as the final WR because the kid can be the emergency kicker or some ****.

4th and 2 at the 8 yard line. Brings in a "kicking team" with him at the kicker. Defense sends in its kicking defense team. Offense lines up to kick, then rotates out to regular offense with this kid at WR. Defense has to call a time out. Belichick smiles.

One of the best UDFA classes we’ve had. A lot of the players we’ve picked up could easily of been drafted if it wasn’t for some character issues or injuries. The one guy I’m disappointed they didn’t go after is Hunter Bryant.

It wouldn’t surprise me if 3-5 guys from this UDFA class make the 53.
There’s a real solid group of talent there.

Just watched some Jeff Thomas tape... He’s electric. Runs solid routes, good off press man. Legit deep threat. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made the roster as long as he doesn’t do anything stupid. He can flat out play.

Just watched some Jeff Thomas tape... He’s electric. Runs solid routes, good off press man. Legit deep threat. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made the roster as long as he doesn’t do anything stupid. He can flat out play.

Yeah looks good...

This Thomas kid (WR from Miami) has got some freakin wheels. Article I read said he has real bad off-field issues ?

Highlight tape was nearly all deep balls but seems like a Cooks type deep threat...

so start one
Had the thought of starting one earlier, but unsure if my late night shenanigans during those coronavirus threads in past weeks have me on too many ignore lists..lolol.

I’ve spent the last few hours watching videos of this UDFA class. The Patriots have some keepers just in the half dozen players I’ve watched so far.

WR Isaiah Zuber (Miss State via Kansas State) is going to make this team if he stays healthy. He had a hip injury in 2018, and those things are usually troublesome. He’s 6’0” and can play inside and outside. He has real good hands with excellent body control and plays real fast. He also is a fantastic punt returner although not as good as Sean Riley.

I wish the Pats had Myles Bryant on the team last year when Jonathan Jones went down with his groin injury. He’s going to be a good slot corner. He’s tough and plays the run real well and is a good tackler. Some scouting reports I read said that he has trouble tracking the ball when in coverage which is a deal breaker as I see it for a corner, but the video I watched sure didn’t show it. He looks like he has pretty good ball skills.

I saw above where Keionta Davis was released. If they can keep Nick Coe from falling asleep in meetings, he’s a far better player right now than Davis and Deatrich (not so) Wise. Coe plays really strong. He’s not easily moved while quick enough to make plays if run at. I’m not sure what he offers for a pass rush, but I’m thinking he’s part of the solution to not being dominated in the run game as the Pats D was going down the stretch last season.

Finally, I love JJ Taylor. He’s fast and elusive (think Dion Lewis) but still packs a punch. I was pleasantly surprised to see would-be tacklers bounce off him and that his runs always seemed to end with him falling forward. I want him to somehow make this team. Maybe, it’s sentimental because at 5’5” he reminds me of one of my favorite Patriot players- Mini Mac Herron.

I’ve looked at Riley and Jeff Thomas. Along with Zuber, these are some fast receivers. But, Zuber was far more impressive to my eye as an NFL receiver.

WR Isaiah Zuber (Miss State via Kansas State) is going to make this team if he stays healthy. He had a hip injury in 2018, and those things are usually troublesome. He’s 6’0” and can play inside and outside. He has real good hands with excellent body control and plays real fast. He also is a fantastic punt returner although not as good as Sean Riley.

I’ve looked at Riley and Jeff Thomas. Along with Zuber, these are some fast receivers. But, Zuber was far more impressive to my eye as an NFL receiver.

Zuber is of interest to me as well. His hands and especially his body control look excellent. He is a good size. Riley and Thomas are both blazing fast but small. Riley looks best as a PR. Thomas probably has the highest ceiling but has the most problems. Zuber has fewer "blow you away" plays but shows a lot of skills that tell me he's NFL ready.

Zuber is of interest to me as well. His hands and especially his body control look excellent. He is a good size. Riley and Thomas are both blazing fast but small. Riley looks best as a PR. Thomas probably has the highest ceiling but has the most problems. Zuber has fewer "blow you away" plays but shows a lot of skills that tell me he's NFL ready.

I had never heard of him before and wasn’t expecting much, but I was very impressed by what I watched of him. I’m no scout just a guy who loves football, but I was similarly impressed with Jakobi Meyers last year and was not surprised that he made the team. I think I like Zuber even more. His body control is excellent and he looks real smooth adjusting his body to make a catch.

Here are the most recent UDFA Guaranteed salary figures. I don't watch BC football, for obvious reasons. Are there any BC football fans here, who can explain why Burt received the second highest guarantee this year, at least so far? His college stats are extremely mediocre but they must really like something about him. There are not a lot of clips of him on YouTube.

De'Jon Harris signs free agent deal with Patriots

The Arkansas defense was terrible as a whole the past two yrs but he was second team All-SEC three years in a row. Lead the SEC in tackles as a junior, 2nd in tackles last year as a senior. He is under-sized and not blazing fast, which is why he wasn't more highly rated but was expected to get drafted, from what I've read. Has anyone watched a lot of Arkansas football or his film in particular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back