PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The O-Line’s performance against Atlanta in SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had the 4th best O-Line in Sacks allowed (24 sacks) and had a 1000+ yard rusher. And that with a Line that contained two second year players (Mason,Andrews), a rookie starter (Thuney) a guy that everybody wanted cut a year ago (Canon) and a guy aproaching 30 and coming of an injury (Solder). And the front sevens of the Falcons and the Texans are Top 5 in the league IMO, so i think we are going to be fine.

Conversely the Patriots had 5 sacks against Atlanta...

When the two "best" teams face each other, this happens..

The O line was part of the offensive unit that was part of drives of 75, 72, 91 and 62 yards in the last 28 minutes.. 466 yards passing, 37 first downs and 40+ minutes of TOP..

Could the O line be better, yes.. but it was pretty darned good.

The main problem seemed to stem from Andrews. In the first half he seemed to get overpowered multiple times. Quinn must have looked at the Texans tape because Houston was specifically going after him in that game as well. Now, that said, I can't confess to know whether the Patriots made adjustments and slid the guard over to give him help or if Andrews simply tightened up. But he was the primary issue in the first half and the direct reason Brady didn't have a clean pocket on multiple passing downs. The Patriots also had some trouble running the ball up his gap, too.

^^interesting observation. Bad game, or something else? Didn't he get a contract extension here recently?

Grady Jarrett had 3 sacks in the whole regular season. He had 3 in the postseason, all against us! Would have probably been MVP had they won. Come on now.

Grady Jarrett

^^interesting observation. Bad game, or something else? Didn't he get a contract extension here recently?
He reminds me of Koppen. Solid starter and has a very good rapport with Brady, but has a tendency to get overpowered by the stronger DTs in the league and may need a guard to help chip said DTs in those situations.

Grady Jarrett had 3 sacks in the whole regular season. He had 3 in the postseason, all against us! Would have probably been MVP had they won. Come on now.

Grady Jarrett
You should watch more of him, then. He was a second year player that began to grow into his role. Comparing him to Reggie White is extreme hyperbole. He also two gaps quite a bit in Atlanta's defense so expecting him to be a sack machine during the regular season is disingenuous at best.

Me disingenuous? Clearly the Pats didn't plan on Jarrett being the disruptor that he was. He just hadn't shown it on film. 4 career sacks in his entire 3 year career.

The o-line has 75% more career starts going into this season than they did going into last season.

Me disingenuous? Clearly the Pats didn't plan on Jarrett being the disruptor that he was. He just hadn't shown it on film. 4 career sacks in his entire 3 year career.
You are when you try to use sacks to measure him. That's like ****ting on Wilfork during his career because he wasn't a sack machine.

Sometimes that can work against you when game planning. I'm sure that's part of why Chris Matthews had a monster first half of Super Bowl 49, despite not having a catch in the regular season. It was a mismatch they didn't foresee because they had little film to anticipate it. It got better as the game went on and they had a chance to see what was happening (in both cases).

This argument is frustrating. There is a set amount of $ to be spent. BB is careful to make sure he uses his resources wisely to give the team the best possible chance to win.

If NE had the $ in the O-Line, other parts of the squad would suffer. He trusts that Brady will keep things rolling despite occasional lapses on the O-Line. The offense has been spectacular for over a decade now.

I'm with BB. He is the coach of a team that just won twice in three years, barely missing the big game - mostly due to epic injures in 2015. He's stocked this team and, yes, there are some parts that could be some cause for concern, but in the grand scheme...

Count me in with "more than fine with this OL considering the ressources spent on other parts of the team".

You are when you try to use sacks to measure him. That's like ****ting on Wilfork during his career because he wasn't a sack machine.

I’ll wait while you give me the Super Bowl where Wilfork was in the conversation to be MVP ... Now you’re guilty of the hyperbole you accuse me of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back