PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The most unquestionable change in Patriots draft strategy

PatsFanInVa

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Forgive the clickbait, but let's pretend that we only know what we truly can verify.

Our NE Patriots organization sees value in sending out a fan-friendly explainer, pick by pick, to at least tell the story of how the war room functions, regardless of the truth or falsehood of that story.

Why so skeptical about what we can know? Professional Wrestling 101: they could be gaslighting TF out of us at any given time. so, where can we start from in the exercise of thinking about how we think about the draft?

Someone in the Pats organization won the question of whether to be more transparent about the draft or about a supplemental narrative. Matt Groh is going out there and putting a gloss -- and one that makes pretty good sense -- on every pick and indeed on the process of drafting in general.

When all is said and done, that's a choice by the organization... the rest could be explained by tons of models. The constant is that they now have a guy who explains which model is at play. Whether/how much to believe him is a different story. Further, that person, it was determined, should be a communicator, not an obfuscator.

The BB model was Benatarian, except that for BB all information, not just love, is a battlefield. A battlefield. Anything you say, whether true or false, could have a purpose.

We've made a change now. We have a Churchillian (or Cordell Hullian)* model or something like it, where "a lie gets halfway around the world before the truth puts on its boots," and part if the challenge is to be responsive. That is, people will start talking immediately and we'd better put out the voice of the organization before people get out there and write the "inept war room" narrative. It's more like a crisis communications approach. (I should mention, by the way, that my passing familiarity with communications is not that people hide and twist things ... they mainly want to have bullet-proof answers but quickly and before the careless twisters have dominated the environment with **** they are making up.)

*attribution squabble

So, this is the one change I think I can believe in™. The Groh information environment.

Here are some other things I think (all you guys who think you've got a corner on "things I think," too bad b****s, use the ™ next time.)

I think it's also most likely that Kraft brushed back BB for real, and that yes, the draft approach (picks process) is being.... augmented. I think they clearly staged the mission control moment ("Horizontal positional command is go for launch" "mechanics scouting is go" "medical is go" "Off field issues go" "Measurables go" "We are go across the board" "Roger that, Foxborough, we are go to put the pick in...") ...and no, I'm not about to say they staged the Mac Jones-landing. I am saying we are doing things that conspiracy nuts say you do to put on a show (example, the "collaborative approach showcase.")

But please see my upcoming TikTok, "For All Fankind." Oh, not really.

Point is, I'm not arguing that there is this whole big secret infosphere they're hiding from us, but I think they do see the info. environment differently, and as needing fan care and feeding.

My (unproven) opinion is that when we let Tom go, Kraft brushed Bill back about the draft, and part of that process legitimately is "Hey by the way mumbleflux, let's throw someone digestible at the media and directly to fans, because you tell them nothing. Groh, go tell them however much feeds the beast."

I think the org. was feeling that the castle felt too impregnable, and in actuality, was brittle and therefore on borrowed time. Mgt. could end up mistrusted by fans, something nobody wants but that plenty of his brother owners have experienced. I think we know that as a good businessman, Kraft likes to have a relief valve handy. :D

Part of being a fan was getting left to the imagination, because BB didn't give a shlitz what you thought or what the narrative is, he wanted to win games and in good years, win the SB. If everybody believed that supernatural beings played dice to determine the outcomes, so be it, who cares. But that leaves a chunk of the football infotainment system in darkness, and if you don't think anything malign can grow in darkness, let's just say nobody's selling yellowcake on the not-dark web.

When you leave the narrative to the imagination, people will start concocting stories. This has always been true. But now, with TB gone and having won a Super Bowl with Tamper Bay, for the first time in decades, when the stories were negative, a ton more Pats fans thought they really might be true, because of the "it was all Tom, theses guys suck" sentiment. We were growing a nation of doubting Tomases. See what I did there?

So yes, I believe, in the absence of information, that there actually is a different, less dictatorial drafting process at work now than pre-Nike. But I don't have proof of that, they just tell/show me that.

The one thing they can't hide is that they see value in sending out a fan-friendly explainer, pick by pick, to at least tell the story of how the war room functions, regardless of the truth or falsehood of that story. :D

By the way, Groh's good, at least in print/tweets (how I get access to him). I see his arguments quoted all the time after a pick by actual fans... it's like watching thousands of lightbulbs going on over the heads of all the trolls except the most hard core.

Thoughts?

If Kraft messed with Belichick this year, he was asleep at the wheel before that.

Last 2 drafts prior to this were conducted the way you want drafts conducted.

Dugger is a stellar athlete who is being asked to do a variety of mind-boggling things out there, while coming out of D2. I don't think there's a harder position to play than strong safety, other than QB.

As for Uche, you want to go for a stellar pass rusher late in the 2nd round. It's a good pick. Uche showed a lot of ability in the pre-draft process. He was excellent in Senior Bowl week. He's a bigtime athlete. Even if he busts, I want Belichick taking players exactly like him.

So Kraft can say all he wants about the drafts prior to that, but he should also look at himself in the mirror for lying down as the league destroyed us during Deflategate, and that killed us for the equivalent of one of those drafts.

Forgive the clickbait, but let's pretend that we only know what we truly can verify.

Our NE Patriots organization sees value in sending out a fan-friendly explainer, pick by pick, to at least tell the story of how the war room functions, regardless of the truth or falsehood of that story.

Why so skeptical about what we can know? Professional Wrestling 101: they could be gaslighting TF out of us at any given time. so, where can we start from in the exercise of thinking about how we think about the draft?

Someone in the Pats organization won the question of whether to be more transparent about the draft or about a supplemental narrative. Matt Groh is going out there and putting a gloss -- and one that makes pretty good sense -- on every pick and indeed on the process of drafting in general.

When all is said and done, that's a choice by the organization... the rest could be explained by tons of models. The constant is that they now have a guy who explains which model is at play. Whether/how much to believe him is a different story. Further, that person, it was determined, should be a communicator, not an obfuscator.

The BB model was Benatarian, except that for BB all information, not just love, is a battlefield. A battlefield. Anything you say, whether true or false, could have a purpose.

We've made a change now. We have a Churchillian (or Cordell Hullian)* model or something like it, where "a lie gets halfway around the world before the truth puts on its boots," and part if the challenge is to be responsive. That is, people will start talking immediately and we'd better put out the voice of the organization before people get out there and write the "inept war room" narrative. It's more like a crisis communications approach. (I should mention, by the way, that my passing familiarity with communications is not that people hide and twist things ... they mainly want to have bullet-proof answers but quickly and before the careless twisters have dominated the environment with **** they are making up.)

*attribution squabble

So, this is the one change I think I can believe in™. The Groh information environment.

Here are some other things I think (all you guys who think you've got a corner on "things I think," too bad b****s, use the ™ next time.)

I think it's also most likely that Kraft brushed back BB for real, and that yes, the draft approach (picks process) is being.... augmented. I think they clearly staged the mission control moment ("Horizontal positional command is go for launch" "mechanics scouting is go" "medical is go" "Off field issues go" "Measurables go" "We are go across the board" "Roger that, Foxborough, we are go to put the pick in...") ...and no, I'm not about to say they staged the Mac Jones-landing. I am saying we are doing things that conspiracy nuts say you do to put on a show (example, the "collaborative approach showcase.")

Point is, I'm not arguing that there is this whole big secret infosphere they're hiding from us, but I think they do see the info. environment differently, and as needing fan care and feeding.

My (unproven) opinion is that when we let Tom go, Kraft brushed Bill back about the draft, and part of that process legitimately is "Hey by the way mumbleflux, let's throw someone digestible at the media and directly to fans, because you tell them nothing. Groh, go tell them however much feeds the beast."

I think the org. was feeling that the castle felt too impregnable, and in actuality, was brittle and therefore on borrowed time. Mgt. could end up mistrusted by fans, something nobody wants but that plenty of his brother owners have experienced. I think we know that as a good businessman, Kraft likes to have a relief valve handy. :D

Part of being a fan was getting left to the imagination, because BB didn't give a shlitz what you thought or what the narrative is, he wanted to win games and in good years, win the SB. If everybody believed that supernatural beings played dice to determine the outcomes, so be it, who cares. But that leaves a chunk of the football infotainment system in darkness, and if you don't think anything malign can grow in darkness, let's just say nobody's selling yellowcake on the not-dark web.

When you leave the narrative to the imagination, people will start concocting stories. This has always been true. But now, with TB gone and having won a Super Bowl with Tamper Bay, for the first time in decades, when the stories were negative, a ton more Pats fans thought they really might be true, because of the "it was all Tom, theses guys suck" sentiment. We were growing a nation of doubting Tomases. See what I did there?

So yes, I believe, in the absence of information, that there actually is a different, less dictatorial drafting process at work now than pre-Nike. But I don't have proof of that, they just tell/show me that.

The one thing they can't hide is that they see value in sending out a fan-friendly explainer, pick by pick, to at least tell the story of how the war room functions, regardless of the truth or falsehood of that story. :D

By the way, Groh's good, at least in print/tweets (how I get access to him). I see his arguments quoted all the time after a pick by actual fans... it's like watching thousands of lightbulbs going on over the heads of all the trolls except the most hard core.

Thoughts?
thoughts?

I think its wonderful that this draft has ticked off people because the Patriots draft has been eviscerated by the media... The same people who rail against the football media when it goes against what they think or their particular agenda...

As for the media... do people realize the talking heads are basically glorified versions of posters on nfl forums? Rarely do any of them do actual work regarding the scouting or assessment of players... All their knowledge is based on a guide they read on the net, or stats they ask researchers to find... there are some who offer a good persepctive based on what happens on the field, sure, but at this time of the year? I'd rather pay attention to BCG tbh... you know, the guys who obviously who put the work in... guys who do self scouting...

Will every "sure thing" hit? Nope.
Will every "miss" be a dud? Nope.

Takes time to evaluate a draft.

As for the media... do people realize the talking heads are basically glorified versions of posters on nfl forums? Rarely do any of them do actual work regarding the scouting or assessment of players... All their knowledge is based on a guide they read on the net, or stats they ask researchers to find... there are some who offer a good persepctive based on what happens on the field, sure, but at this time of the year? I'd rather pay attention to BCG tbh... you know, the guys who obviously who put the work in... guys who do self scouting...

Will every "sure thing" hit? Nope.
Will every "miss" be a dud? Nope.

Takes time to evaluate a draft.
Don’t forget agents, everybody’s favorite source. This example is blatant because it was on the record and wrong by almost a full round (61st overall), but how often does this happen off the record and convince “draft experts” to adjust their rankings accordingly?

@BaconGrundleCandy can we get your draft grades . Most of us are novices and could truly use your expertise to see the value or potential of the drafted players.

On paper and based on general perception it looks like a C+ but would like to hear from you .

I was trying to respond to this Babylon 5 post but my Wall Of Vomit Decoder is on the fritz...but it's good to know our own **** Spacey is on the case...:cool:

As for the media... do people realize the talking heads are basically glorified versions of posters on nfl forums? Rarely do any of them do actual work regarding the scouting or assessment of players... All their knowledge is based on a guide they read on the net, or stats they ask researchers to find.

Don’t forget agents, everybody’s favorite source. This example is blatant because it was on the record and wrong by almost a full round (61st overall), but how often does this happen off the record and convince “draft experts” to adjust their rankings accordingly?

These two posts need to be reformatted and stuck at the top of every thread about the draft going forward, except perhaps BCG's.
ALL of us are working with information that is from somebody's propaganda or marketing department. Watching fellow Pats fans make themselves miserable from this is just so sad.

*attribution squabble

Thoughts?
tl;dr

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down