PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The local media RE: Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
All I have heard this week from most of the local media is that they expect Revis to shadow Edelman all over the field tomorrow. In fact, I just heard Jeff Howe say that on the radio. Nice to know that so many members of the local media don't understand the concept of a zone defense after covering this team for so many years.

Even after the news that Revis is upset that Tampa runs strictly a zone defense, the local media seem oblivious to the fact in a zone defense a CB's responsibility is to a certain area of the field and not a certain player. Revis is upset because instead of shadowing the best player on the opposing offense all game, he is responsible for only a particular area of the field and must cover who ever the receiver is in that area and that he must hand off the receiver when the receiver runs out of his zone.

There is a chance that the Bucs play man tomorrow, but knowing Schiano it is unlikely. If Revis is following Edelman everywhere in a zone defense, there is a going to a huge hole in the secondary for the Pats to exploit.

I begin to wonder how much the local media actually know about the game of football when they make comments like this. There is a man to man aspect of a zone, but again the CB plays man to man in their zone and not covering a specific player.

If the Bucs do play a zone tomorrow and Revis is still shadowing Edelman all over the field, I would line Edelman up in a bunch with Thompkins and Dobson and send him in motion on every play. It will probably leave one or both of the other guys wide open. Granted they actually have to catch the ball.

Revis shadowed Stills , our rookie WR all game. He still made 1 for 10 yards.
Not putting Revis on Graham or Colston instead of trying to cover our deep threat was a mistake.
Im pretty sure they will do the same thing. Thier coaching never makes good calls. We didnt make very good calls that game either.

I expect a breakout game for our rookie WR's and TE (assuming Sudfeld plays).

Of course I said that about Chad Jackson also :D

You all will be OK, Revis isn't the old Revis and Tampa is disorganized and demoralized.

You all will be OK, Revis isn't the old Revis and Tampa is disorganized and demoralized.

true dat. Remeber when he hit moore in the enzone looking for incidental contact. I think hes lost a step if he has a problem with lance moore. Revis clearly lost were he was.

Not putting Revis on Graham or Colston instead of trying to cover our deep threat was a mistake.
Im pretty sure they will do the same thing. Thier coaching never makes good calls. We didnt make very good calls that game either.

How often did Stills switch sides or was it that they lined up on the same side? But it is different covering a deep threat in a zone than a slot receiver. I didn't watch the game, but I bet Stills lined up on the outside and ran vertical routes all game. If he ran more over the middle routes I bet Revis wouldn't have shadowed him.

I still have problems believing Revis actually shadowed Stills. They might have had him switch sides of the field based on personnel, but it is very hard to shadow a receiver in a zone unless it is an outside receiver who runs mostly outside routes. And even then it really isn't shadowing per se, but adjusting zone responsibility based on personnel.

How often did Stills switch sides or was it that they lined up on the same side? But it is different covering a deep threat in a zone than a slot receiver. I didn't watch the game, but I bet Stills lined up on the outside and ran vertical routes all game. If he ran more over the middle routes I bet Revis wouldn't have shadowed him.

I still have problems believing Revis actually shadowed Stills. They might have had him switch sides of the field based on personnel, but it is very hard to shadow a receiver in a zone unless it is an outside receiver who runs mostly outside routes. And even then it really isn't shadowing per se, but adjusting zone responsibility based on personnel.

Bucs coordinator: Revis should have covered Colston | Tampa Bay Times

thats what happened. Im not sure its up to him. Revis has been vocal about the Bucs zone defense, but in the end hes a player not a coach.

I think you are mistaken. First they played an awful lot of zone. In zone a corner covers an area of the field. It is essentially impossible to shadow a specific receiver in a zone. It could be that Still lined up on Revis side, but thats a different thing.

I think you are mistaken. First they played an awful lot of zone. In zone a corner covers an area of the field. It is essentially impossible to shadow a specific receiver in a zone. It could be that Still lined up on Revis side, but thats a different thing.

No im not mistaken Andy, with all respect.
"Revis was outside the numbers at left cornerback locking down rookie Kenny Stills on the play"

"Revis spent most of the team’s Week 2 match up lined up against Kenny Stills and playing in zone,"
Darrelle Revis unhappy with Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites
He was in zone or covered Stills when in the lineup, and not happy about it. I think in zone is where moore beat him, but not sure.

"Revis was outside the numbers at left cornerback locking down rookie Kenny Stills on the play"

"Revis spent most of the team’s Week 2 match up lined up against Kenny Stills and playing in zone,"
Darrelle Revis unhappy with Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 240+ Sites

You are misunderstanding the comments.
The first is about one play when Stills was in Revis zone, and the play went elsewhere.
The second says Stills ran a lot of routes into Revis zone.

All due respect back at ya, but a zone assigns an area of the field to each defender. You cannot assign a receiver to a zone defender.

It is certainly possible that Revis covered Stills a lot because Stills could have lined up on his and therefore ventured into his zone often. Its pretty much impossible that Revis was man on man with Stills in a zone coverage.

He was in zone or covered Stills when in the lineup, and not happy about it. I think in zone is where moore beat him, but not sure.

Sorry pherein, I think you are wrong. I think he spent most of the game lined up with Stills because Payton saw the Bucs were in a zone and he lined Stills up on Revis' side of the field allowing Colston to draw lesser coverage.

In zone coverage, your responsibility is your zone not a particular player. Stills just happened to be in Revis' zone for most of the game.

Now in all fairness we do not see Revis as being the god CB everyone says. Hes been in a conference with Pats, Bills, and Dolphins. Thats 6 games with below average QB's, and we think his numbers are padded.
Let him face Cam, Brees, and ryan every year and see how good he is. TB and the Pats was his only challenge.

Sorry pherein, I think you are wrong. I think he spent most of the game lined up with Stills because Payton saw the Bucs were in a zone and he lined Stills up on Revis' side of the field allowing Colston to draw lesser coverage.

In zone coverage, your responsibility is your zone not a particular player. Stills just happened to be in Revis' zone for most of the game.

"Kenny Stills and playing in zone" he covered stills on the opposite side of field. Watch the game.
I agree with you on zone, but revis was manned on stills for most plays.

Now in all fairness we do not see Revis as being the god CB everyone says. Hes been in a conference with Pats, Bills, and Dolphins. Thats 6 games with below average QB's, and we think his numbers are padded.
Let him face Cam, Brees, and ryan every year and see how good he is. TB was his only challenge.

I think Revis is pretty close to his reputation. He's taken away some of the best receivers against elite QBs outside the AFC East with great frequency.

That said, he won't be if Schiano continues to play zone defense. Revis' skills are greatly diminished in a zone defense since he cannot just shadow the best receiver on the field and has to maintain a zone rather than blanket a single player all game. The Bucs basically bought a Ferarri in Revis and refuses to ever drive it above 30 miles per hour.

I think Revis is pretty close to his reputation. He's taken away some of the best receivers against elite QBs outside the AFC East with great frequency.

That said, he won't be if Schiano continues to play zone defense. Revis' skills are greatly diminished in a zone defense since he cannot just shadow the best receiver on the field and has to maintain a zone rather than blanket a single player all game. The Bucs basically bought a Ferarri in Revis and refuses to ever drive it above 30 miles per hour.

I think your dead on. Still think Greer has done better in our conference. But in the NFCS 2 teams, Saints and Falcons have multiple targets. Its not like him just trying to shut down Moss. Let him try to shut down Colston. Moore, stills,Meachum, Morgan, etc.. will make the pass, Or let him shut down white, jullio will. Its a completely different envornment hes not used to. We have above average QB's here, and muliple WR's/TE's as targets.
Not 1 dominate great QB like TB, and then really bad ones. His work is cut out for him.
I can see Schiano destroying his reputation.
His numbers might have been below greers if he started here, not god like. All teams besides yours have not been good for a Looong time.

Let him face Cam, Brees, and ryan every year and see how good he is. TB and the Pats was his only challenge.

Brady is a below average QB?

"Kenny Stills and playing in zone" he covered stills on the opposite side of field. Watch the game.
I agree with you on zone, but revis was manned on stills for most plays.

That is simply not possible.

lost in this zone vs. man argument is the discernible fact that Revis is NOT at 100% of his previous physical skill level. I've been watching clips from the previous two games and his plant and spin to defend the back shoulder throw is way off from where he was pre-injury. His game speed seems to be a tick slow also. I think it's probably a good thing we get Revis now rather than 10 or 12 games in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes