PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at who will possibly be there at #32 , who would be worth the pick, there are only a few guys I would want them take. However, if someone they love, e.g..Hockenson, falls out of the top 15, then I can see them making the leap. If they don’t they will trade down, because the value is the same at positions of need after the early twenties. I don’t like the projected 1st Rd. WR’s, but I love the second and 3rd round receivers. And if the top 3 TE’s are off the board then they will wat a couple of rounds. Defensively they could actually get great value in a CB or S, but those aren’t really what they need that high this Draft. Should be an interesting month and draft.

About to go to Pats season ticket holder predraft party. It’s a cool free event. Get to go on the field, free food, trophy pic, and Pats alumni are there. I think this year’s panel is Reiss, Curran and Yates.

Johnson,Boykin Isabella Samuel.
We could be set up pretty if we hit on 2 to 3 receivers.
Hakeem Butler is a very interesting red zone threat kind of like a Gronk.

Unless something weird happens, double dipping at TE seems right.

I'd be fine with signing a vet (hogan?) and hitting on one WR in the draft.

Johnson,Boykin Isabella Samuel.
We could be set up pretty if we hit on 2 to 3 receivers.
Hakeem Butler is a very interesting red zone threat kind of like a Gronk.

Could just be the usual bit of “exploration” about moving up that we hear every spring. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them move up 8-10 spots or something if the right guy is there, but I’d be shocked to see them move any higher than that.

I think most playoff teams run through this exercise every year.

Could just be the usual bit of “exploration” about moving up that we hear every spring. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them move up 8-10 spots or something if the right guy is there, but I’d be shocked to see them move any higher than that.

Once the draft moves past the blue chippers by about 15, it seems unlikely that the right guy is available by moving up to 22. It seems that for Belichick 25-75 aren't all that different. So, yes, unlikely that we trade up to the no man's land 15-25 zone.

I have a feeling Hogan will re-sign with the team for cheap $. I can't imagine Bill relying on Edelman plus 2 rookies and another rookie TE as our receiving corps. Hogan knows the playbook and hopefully will be able to get on the same page as Brady this year.

I have a feeling Hogan will re-sign with the team for cheap $. I can't imagine Bill relying on Edelman plus 2 rookies and another rookie TE as our receiving corps. Hogan knows the playbook and hopefully will be able to get on the same page as Brady this year.

Why does everyone completely ignore the guy with the best catch rate on the team who was better than Hogan last year and actually helped out in the playoffs? (2 TDs to Hogan's 0 and double the yardage per catch)

Why does everyone completely ignore the guy with the best catch rate on the team who was better than Hogan last year and actually helped out in the playoffs? (2 TDs to Hogan's 0 and double the yardage per catch)

I forgot about Dorsett, but he has to step up. There is still a hole to fill for the #2 WR spot. And as far as Hogan is concerned, he stepped up big in 2016 and 2017 playoffs. That's why I'm saying he needs to get on the same page with Brady again if Bill decides to bring him back. Maybe the guy was injured or maybe he's cooked...who knows. Besides Edelman and Dorsett, what other receivers know the playbook?

Is hogan healthy? His play since the last half of the 2017 season has been weak. No separation, makes me wonder if he has been playing injured,

It’s the long term that bothers me. I think I’m right in saying that we only have Berrios signed beyond this year. We need options for 2020 and beyond. They need to double dip in the draft just for continuity’s sake if nothing else.

Once the draft moves past the blue chippers by about 15, it seems unlikely that the right guy is available by moving up to 22. It seems that for Belichick 25-75 aren't all that different. So, yes, unlikely that we trade up to the no man's land 15-25 zone.

Started a thread about this in the draft thread. I think it’s possible that one of Ferrell, Wilkins or Fant could fall to 21 (the Seahawks pick). Not certain, but possible. And then there’s Tillery, Bradbury, Dillard, Simmons or Lawrence that might entice them to trade up although I’m not sure how I’d feel about that. But if BB likes one of those enough, he has the firepower so why not make sure of the guy.

Dillard is one I’m not sure about, but it would be like drafting two guys because you then move Wynn to LG when Thuney leaves.

I was watching a Kiper/Mcshay mock draft special and Adam Schefter was on with them. More than once he talked about the Seahawks trading Russell Wilson. Didn’t have information hat they would, but didn’t dispel the idea either. Now that would shake things up.

I’m not the first from the draft forum to mention these guys, but I’m going to call my personal shot. Either Stanley Morgan Jnr or Cody Thompson (Toledo), both WRs, will be a Patriot at the end of the draft.

Morgan had one of the best 3-cones at the combine and watching him, he reminded me of the Givens/Branch/Brown era of WRs stylistically (Givens is one of his comps at Mockdraftable).

Thompson was watched by Caserio who attended his pro day, had the best short shuttle which might actually be more important than the 3-cone for the Pats at the position and has a reputation for being able to read defenses owing to good preparation.

Of course I’ll be wrong in the end, but I get the feels from both guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots