PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be shocked if BB takes a QB high on the board. I will continue to say that the QB of the future is on this list: 2020 NFL Free Agents Tracker

I think filling Tom's shoes is gonna suck. Media and fans are gonna expect whoever it is to be great. Huge, towering expectations. I think they will sign one of those guys to a 3-4 year deal and draft a kid after that.

The Franchise of the future is likely in his senior year of HS, a PG year at prep school or a red shirt freshman in college. I just think they recognize the guy who follows Tom has to climb a mountain that is likely not going to be scaled. Bring in a guy like Mariota, Dak Prescott or Nick Foles and let him be the caretaker of the position for a few years before the Next Big Thing walks in the door on Route 1.

That's an interesting strategy, not unlike a common one for replacing a highly respected and beloved Founding CEO of a business or nonprofit. The premise is that the next person in the job needs to be a transition leader.

1. No it's not. Next years is better but not great.
2. No it doesn't. Fant is good, not great.
3. No it isn't. Next year's WR draft is the bomb.

Sorry but I have to disagree with those statements.
If you were talking 2020 draft then you have a point.
Bill will trade out for next years picks, I believe. We have a lot of injured players returning so those are kind of rookies. About 4 of them (Wynn, Dawson, Bentley, throw a dart) will make the roster. We have 11 or so picks this year and between this year, unless half go on IR, and last year's haul I don't see Bill making that many picks this year. That's 1/4 of the roster being 1st and 2nd year players.

Top QBs for the 2019 draft

Dwayne Haskins
Drew Lock
Daniel Jones
Ryan Finley
Will Grier

I think all of them are excellent QB prospects. I would stay away from Kyler Murray. But those top 5 are excellent. I'd be thrilled with any of them.

Top TEs for the 2019 draft

TJ Hockenson
Irv Smith
Noah Fant
Caleb Wilson
Jace Sternberger
Kaden Smith
CJ Conrad
Alize Mack
Zach Gentry (6-8 262, huge red zone target)
Tommy Sweeney (Boston College !)

Just a ton of talent at the TE position.

Top WRs for the 2019 draft

DK Metcalf (if he's healthy)
N'Keal Harry
AJ Brown
Marquis Brown
Parris Campbell
Deebo Samuel
Kelvin Harmon
JJ Arcega-Whiteside (reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald)
Riley Ridley
David Sills (one of my all time favorites, would be a great Hogan replacement)
Miles Boykin
Gary Jennings (Sills' teammate)
Emanuel Hall (speed demon)
Terry McLaurin
Hunter Renfrow
Andy Isabella
Lil'Jordan Humphrey (besides the name, excellent receiver)
Tyre Brady (liked him in the Senior Bowl, or was it the Shrine Game)
Anthony Johnson

Just too many to mention.

Dwayne Haskins
Drew Lock
Daniel Jones
Ryan Finley
Will Grier

I think all of them are excellent QB prospects. I would stay away from Kyler Murray. But those top 5 are excellent. I'd be thrilled with any of them.

TJ Hockenson
Irv Smith
Noah Fant
Caleb Wilson
Jace Sternberger
Kaden Smith
CJ Conrad
Alize Mack

N'Keal Harry
AJ Brown
Marquis Brown
Parris Campbell
Deebo Samuel
Kelvin Harmon
Riley Ridley
Miles Boykin
Terry McLaurin
Hunter Renfrow
Andy Isabella
Anthony Johnson

I'm not a fan of the QBs, but I agree about the TEs and WRs. Very solid class for us to pick up some starters. I expect the Patriots to double-dip at each position.

I really think he may trade UP. He has a lot of ammunition in this draft, two 2's, several 3's. I wonder if he sees someone dropping that knocks his socks off, he might trade up using all that ammo. Prior to the draft, during the season, I was hell bent on them going defense with the 1st round pick. But after that LEGENDARY defensive performance in SB 53, I'm thinking, let's get the best TE at 32 (or higher, really like Noah Fant), then best QB available with the highest 2nd round pick, defense the other 2nd round pick.

Sony Michel was my favorite player for the Pats pre 2018 draft, never thought we'd pick him, was so happy when we did. This year, my favorite is WR Hakeem Butler from Iowa. He can be a Josh Gordon replacement, a nightmare matchup problem at 6'6" 230 lbs, especially in jump balls and in the red zone, and has good speed. We saw how Brady was really limited in the SB passing mostly to Edelman and Gronk, 16-19 to Edelman & Gronk, 5-12 to other receivers. It's obvious we need receivers who can get separation. I think Hogan and Dorsett will be gone. Patterson may be gone too.

Either way, I'm ALWAYS happiest picking #32 overall, makes the draft even more fun, as champions. Also, we've done pretty damned good at slot #32, unless we trade the pick. Malcom Brown 2015, Ben Watson 2004, Logan Mankins 2005 traded up from 32 to 21 for Daniel Graham 2002.
Didn't see a lot of Butler but he looked like he could be a special player with a QB like Brady. Liked Andy Isabella as an Edelman type. There was a third down back I liked, think it was Tony Pollard from Memphis

Just a non college football fans PoV but I am expecting 32 to be traded if they can get a cardinals 1st for 2020 or some of the other trash in the league want to give up a top 10 pick for our 32. Unfortunately a lot of the trash is in the AFCE so that will limit trades to the top 10. I would expect at least one of our 3rd to be traded also for a 2020 pick also.

I expect a new backup next year maybe Bridgewater if he is a free agent. Anything but Hoyer.
Bridgewater will be to expensive for us. Also, he will not want to languish on the bench. Hoyer is good for the purpose he serves.

I'm interest in J.J Arcega Whiteside specifically. I'm assuming that we're drafting Hunter Renfrow already in the 6th or something. I also like Irv Smith Jr somewhere in the early 3rd if we trade up.

They need to double dip at WR

Our record of picking WR's isn't very good, especially high in the draft...I'd steer clear early on and maybe go D line, lb or tight end early.

Liked Andy Isabella as an Edelman type.

Isabella and Deebo Samuel are two players who's 40 times bear watching, IMO

We need someone who can replace Hoyer next year.

There may be someone worth taking.

There's no QB in this class that i would be happy taking. Whereas next year the QB class is a lot better, my #1 guy for next year for us is Jake Fromm.

@BaconGrundleCandy would be one of the best to speak too

Isabella and Deebo Samuel are two players who's 40 times bear watching, IMO
Andy is training w Moss. Said he ran 4.26. Who knows.

Deebo is 215 so im expecting high 4.4-low 4.5.

I'm interest in J.J Arcega Whiteside specifically. I'm assuming that we're drafting Hunter Renfrow already in the 6th or something. I also like Irv Smith Jr somewhere in the early 3rd if we trade up.
Unless Smith has bodies in his trunk he's a top 40-50 pick. Borderline 1st w a good combine. He'll be in the TE1 convo for some.

Dwayne Haskins
Drew Lock
Daniel Jones
Ryan Finley
Will Grier

TJ Hockenson
Irv Smith
Noah Fant
Caleb Wilson
Jace Sternberger
Kaden Smith
CJ Conrad
Alize Mack

N'Keal Harry
AJ Brown
Marquis Brown
Parris Campbell
Deebo Samuel
Kelvin Harmon
Riley Ridley
Miles Boykin
Terry McLaurin
Hunter Renfrow
Andy Isabella
Anthony Johnson

Last year was excellent. This year is cheeks. I wouldn't touch any early besides Murray & he has to sit like the rest of that lot.

Andy is training w Moss. Said he ran 4.26. Who knows.

Deebo is 215 so im expecting high 4.4-low 4.5.

I've heard about the 4.26 claim. I want to see it during the combine, and then I want to see if he can harness it on cuts.

I've heard about the 4.26 claim. I want to see it during the combine, and then I want to see if he can harness it on cuts.
I doubt he runs sub 4.3 but hes vg in/out of breaks. His quicks are much better than speed imo. Thats been showing up on tape for 2 years.

I doubt he goes before rd5 wout a solid 40 when comparing him to others w a similar profile

He's great at quick cuts. I didn't realize his straight line speed at first because he's got a lot of discipline about making precise, violent moves to separate, but he's fast. For example, Denzel Ward ran a 4.32 at the Combine last year. Here's Isabella beating him in the 100:

I doubt he runs sub 4.3 but hes vg in/out of breaks. His quicks are much better than speed imo. Thats been showing up on tape for 2 years.

I doubt he goes before rd5 wout a solid 40 when comparing him to others w a similar profile

I would love to see this team take a flier on an absolute speed demon who can run a 4.2_ that translates to the field, if there's a space available at WR come draft time.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
He's great at quick cuts. I didn't realize his straight line speed at first because he's got a lot of discipline about making precise, violent moves to separate, but he's fast. For example, Denzel Ward ran a 4.32 at the Combine last year. Here's Isabella beating him in the 100:

Remember watching this last year I think. Most likely all depends on how he feels during his run but he looks like 4.4 worst.

If they don't re-sign Trent Brown, they have to go T yet again in the first round. I don't trust Wynn since we haven't seen him do the job. La'Adrian Waddle is a UFA, so they should resign him as a backup. He's not a starter by any means.

If they do come to terms with Brown, I think Belichick goes DT/DE this year at #32 - If BC's Zach Allen is there, they should grab him. Good run stopper, good pass rusher, versatile defensive lineman. He smart - All ACC Academic Team. Just the kind of kid they need.

The other guy on my list is the MLB from Clemson - Tre Lamar. Decent size (6'3" 250) and great speed, and projected 2-3 rounder. Another guy who can drop into coverage and play from a down position to rush the passer. Reminds me of Kyle Van Noy.

Last edited:
As for the QB position, I have a feeling that Brady's ultimate replacement will be someone who's already in the league
I don't think so. I think they will want someone they can coach up from the get go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back