PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
how big would the freak out be if the picks are the following?

32 OL
56 TE
64 OL
73 CB
97 DT
101 WR
134 DE

:eek::D

I would rather have a safety than CB but aside from that, not freaked out at all. Bradbury (definitely) and Lindstrom (maybe) would be welcome additions at 32 or in round 2.

Okay. Please read the initial caveat stuff carefully, and ax yourself: Should I do one of these this year?
Thx.

Patsfans Draftnik Recap 2018, Executive Summary Edition

With the final post of the 2018 NFL Draft, PatsFanInVa has traded expectations with Tony2046 for an extended version in 2019, and a summary Patsfans Draftnik Recap for 2018.

General. I want to do this up-front: This is parody. That is like sarcasm or irony. In some cases I will say things I do not really think because they might be funny to somebody. So shut up and laugh, except if you are saying this is super-great and you wish there were more.

General about the actual draft. This draft was the deepest in memory at the Josh position, and we are dangerously thin at the Josh position; monumental blunder to let the opportunity pass us by. Sure we weren’t going to get Josh Rosen or Josh Allen, but we also whiffed on Josh Jackson, Josh Sweat, and any other Joshes I missed. This draft also featured Key and Peele future All American skit names; since this is a controversial topic, I will limit my observations to Equanimeous St. Brown, who went to the Packers at 207. I’m sorry, that name is just tight.

Round by Round, Pats stuff:

Rd 1, Pick 23: Isaiah Wynn, Short Tackle, Georgia. 6’3” of badasss. You do not want to mess with him unless everybody else has a guy that’s 6’6” of badass, at the tackle position. As a draftnick I’m compelled to consider the Eisens and Mayocks of the world, and frankly, this has bust written all over it, even if they were generally positive about how Scarnechhia will use him. Note the Georgia/SEC provenance, reader; I sense a southward disturbance in the Force. Super mobile bowling ball of a tackle, who we should hope is rolling other guys around the field, and they say low man wins. Or Wynns. So. Last observation: me and all my draftnik friends were certain that we could trade our entire first through third rounds and move up enough places to pick my favorite QB prospect. We also passed on that one QB still on the board who scored a 13 on the Wunderlic but was described as coachable. I dunno whether that was a Josh. Anyway: Draftnik Grade: C-

Rd 1, Pick 31: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia. Huh. That’s another Bulldog. Okay that’s weird but nothing to go all tinfoil helmet about. The naming rights craze finally hits the players themselves; scandal in the offing due to pre-professional payments from electronics manufacturer. 7.9 yards per carry in 2017, 16 TDs. Whoever the hell the starter was must have been fierce.

That said: We all know that Maroney was a mistake but there’s nothing wrong with a little evasiveness. This guy couldn’t evade the draft with an all-volunteer army. One cut and go, sometimes no cut and plow; Jeez, when has that ever worked before. He’s also used to sharing the load, and I’m not sure the Patriots can put together a running back committee to allow him to shine. Reserve your replica Michel jersey now with the name He Haiti Me. Draftnik Grade: C

Rd 2, Pick 56: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida. What’s in a name, part 2: If you’re gonna stay with all SEC picks, getting one named Duke Dawson just sounds right. He’s a 5’11 corner, sort of like all our corners, despite my angry draftnik letters to 1 Patriot Place demanding corners measuring 6’ or more in height. Sniffs out ball in air with head on swivel like some ravening woodland predator, all sorts of smarts and earned tools, pretty feet as Rex Ryan would say, chops them til it’s time to stride, rarely fooled, knows routes & what to do about em. Downside: about as gifted as yours truly on Christmas, which is to say, not at all. Short arms, short stride, and the only tackle he’s familiar with is when he goes fishing on the intercoastal. Draftnik Grade: D

Rd 5, 143. Ja’whaun Bentley, ILB, Purdue. Excellent way to spell the first name, and adds to our corps of apostrophes. Somewhat more importantly, big strong ILB who can do what ILBs are supposed to do, stuff runs. Can’t do anything else, really, especially rush the passer. As I mentioned in our pass rush thread, there were zero sacks in the SB until Brady got strip-sacked to put the final screw in that pooch. As a draftnik, of course, I disregard the fact that this final indignity was about not protecting Brady, and focus on our inability to sack Foles. Furthermore, this must have been a latent inability to sack people when we had to, even though our pass-rush was toward the top of the league in production. I demand a pass rushing linebacker not some old dependable Ted Johnson pre-CTE guy. So, no. Draftnik grade: D-

Rd 6, 178. Christian Sam, ILB, Arizona State. See above, + can sometimes cover guys. Good solo tackler, which will be handy since as we displayed in SB52, nobody else on our D wants to tackle anybody. Draftnik grade: B-

Round 6, 210. Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami. First off, Braxton Berrios sounds like a British breakfast cereal. “Now with cobbles” would cement that impression. Miami’s not in the SEC but I’m calling them an honorary member. This all reeks of one good road trip when everybody just had the greatest time in the bestest late winter weather EVAH. I’d say he has alligator arms, but that implies that at full extension they can be longer. Also, he probably doesn’t want to hear anything about gators. I dunno how good he is, it’s round freakin 6 and I said I’d do a summary. C.

Round 7, 219. Danny Etling, QB, LSU. Annnnnnd that road trip evidently ended at Mardi Gras. Mo’ SEC, Mo’ SEC, Mo’ SEC. In Etling we’ve found the heir apparent, not to Tom Brady, but to Cliff Kingsbury. Seriously, do not learn this name. We just want the option of not having receivers as emergency QBs. C.

Round 7, 243. Keion Crossen, DB, Western Carolina. This deep in the draft the guys on the television draft crew are googling the prospects. And finding nothing, by the way. I’m just skipping him. If anybody knows whether he’s tall, let me know.

Round 7, Pick 250. Ryan Izzo, TE, Florida State. If I recall correctly, we originally woulda picked at 233, but Philly wanted to lock down an Australian Giant and we snagged another pick you will have never heard of in 2019, PLUS Ryan Izzo, so they could win Rugby League this year. This guy has the potential to back up a guy we hate for being an in-line Tight End when all TEs have to be Rob Gronkowski and score 10 touchdowns a year. But the name does have a ring to it. And Florida state, like Miami, is honorary SEC country.

2018 Patsfans Draftnik Official Draft Class Grade: D+

Bonus: The Southeastern Conspiracy. Like I said I wanted to take less effort this year but it didn’t work real well. I am interested in hearing impressions of this one-region, one-draft concept. Short of renaming the Pat the “Rebels” or something and replacing the Flying Elvis with the real Elvis, I don’t know what this is about. Some kinda Urban Meyer/Nick Saban network? You guys tell me.

Yeah, you need to get out more

Post a pic of yourself so we can all judge you. This is the draft thread so I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments like "bubble butt" and "big body"

P

Charlie Weis is now a host on SiriusXM’s morning show. Whenever they discuss QBs in this class on the show, Weis always brings up Grier, and you get the feeling Weis thinks Grier is as good as any QB in this year’s draft.

I’m not sure how much ole Charlie is connected to the Pats these days. But, I’m thinking aside from Bill and Josh no one would know better what one needs to be a successful QB in the Patriots’ system than Weis.

Btw, Charlie is excellent on the show- knowledgeably, entertaining and more than willing to say what’s on his mind. SiriusXM must agree as he started out doing Mondays and Fridays with Bob Papa and now they do Monday-Friday. It’s my morning commute standby now.

I wouldn't be averse to picking an o-line at 32 or 56. The main areas of need as I see them are:

Urgent need: WR. I'm not sure a draft pick is going to be able and come in and be an immediate contributor like we need so I see us trading for a veteran and then picking one we like in the 2nd/3rd round along with a later round pick up.

Medium need: OL. We don't have a back up tackle and could use some interior depth. Add in we really don't know too much about Wynn just yet and Thuney in his last year (and we already paid a guard) and I think O-line is a need.

Medium need: Defensive line. We have some starter bodies but could do with an injection of youth on the inside, and some high end competition on the outside. Bennett is good, Wise and Simon are rotational pieces, Rivers and Davis are unknowns.

Medium need: TE. If Gronk isn't back this become a high need but I think he is. If this is Gronk's last year we should take advantage of the good class to find someone. I think this is more likely to be a day 2 pick.

Low need: LB, S and CB. Although I could see a safety taken to groom with McCourty and Chung getting on in age

Low(ish) need: QB. This assumes Brady is signing a 3/4 year extension. I don't mind picking someone if they really like them.

My starting point for the draft is something like this:

32: OL/DL

56: OL/DL (reverse of at 32)

64: DE

73: traded for veteran receiver (Shepard or someone)

97: WR

101: TE

Edelman, Shepard, Dorsett, rookie WR(McLaurin/Ridley?), Berrios, Harris is starting to look a little better. Especially if you have Gronk and maybe a Jace Sternberger/Josh Oliver type.

Especially if you have Gronk and maybe a Jace Sternberger/Josh Oliver type.
I'm intrigued at the idea of adding Sternberger, although I think they’d bulk him up a bit and have him work on his blocking. Still, he’s 6’4” and 250 lbs. I don’t know if he’s guaranteed to be there at 64, however.

Post a pic of yourself so we can all judge you. This is the draft thread so I'm sure you'll get lots of compliments like "bubble butt" and "big body"

Picture of yourself in a phone booth would be perfect, if there still are any phone booths.

If not, just put on a mime outfit and fake it. Actually that's my new name for O-Linemen: Big Mime.

Picture of yourself in a phone booth would be perfect, if there still are any phone booths.

If not, just put on a mime outfit and fake it. Actually that's my new name for O-Linemen: Big Mime.
What's a mime outfit? Are you making mocking the French again?

I generally agree with your comments.

However, I see the draft as more focused toward the future. So, for me, both TE and S are urgent needs. I would also put LB as a medium need since there is no assurance that both Hightower and Van Noy will be leading the group in 2020.

I wouldn't be averse to picking an o-line at 32 or 56. The main areas of need as I see them are:

Urgent need: WR. I'm not sure a draft pick is going to be able and come in and be an immediate contributor like we need so I see us trading for a veteran and then picking one we like in the 2nd/3rd round along with a later round pick up.

Medium need: OL. We don't have a back up tackle and could use some interior depth. Add in we really don't know too much about Wynn just yet and Thuney in his last year (and we already paid a guard) and I think O-line is a need.

Medium need: Defensive line. We have some starter bodies but could do with an injection of youth on the inside, and some high end competition on the outside. Bennett is good, Wise and Simon are rotational pieces, Rivers and Davis are unknowns.

Medium need: TE. If Gronk isn't back this become a high need but I think he is. If this is Gronk's last year we should take advantage of the good class to find someone. I think this is more likely to be a day 2 pick.

Low need: LB, S and CB. Although I could see a safety taken to groom with McCourty and Chung getting on in age

Low(ish) need: QB. This assumes Brady is signing a 3/4 year extension. I don't mind picking someone if they really like them.

My starting point for the draft is something like this:

32: OL/DL

56: OL/DL (reverse of at 32)

64: DE

73: traded for veteran receiver (Shepard or someone)

97: WR

101: TE

Edelman, Shepard, Dorsett, rookie WR(McLaurin/Ridley?), Berrios, Harris is starting to look a little better. Especially if you have Gronk and maybe a Jace Sternberger/Josh Oliver type.

What's a mime outfit? Are you making mocking the French again?

I didn't mean to. I meant those black and white striped outfits. I thought it was a mime thing, not a French thing. Although I should not be whipping up anti-mime sentiment either; a mime is a terrible thing to waste!

Can he be taught to run option routes?

Many have been drafted and tried to learn, but only 3 or 4 have succeeded!
I've seen you bring this up numerous times. You should stop lol.
It reminds me of when people say things like, "He never took any reps from under center".

Options routes really aren't hard to run. Its foolish to think that way. Most of these athletes forgot more than you know by high school.

I've seen you bring this up numerous times. You should stop lol.
It reminds me of when people say things like, "He never took any reps from under center".

Options routes really aren't hard to run. Its foolish to think that way. Most of these athletes forgot more than you know by high school.

But do you know how hard it is to identify man/zone and sight adjust to run to where they're not??? Only the most powerful can learn this arcane secret. o_O

I didn't mean to. I meant those black and white striped outfits. I thought it was a mime thing, not a French thing. Although I should not be whipping up anti-mime sentiment either; a mime is a terrible thing to waste!

While I appreciate the pun at the end, I'm strongly considering a long explanation of the history of mime, since I'm actually a trained performer in both illusionary and corporeal mime. Probably the wrong forum for that discussion.

While I appreciate the pun at the end, I'm strongly considering a long explanation of the history of mime, since I'm actually a trained performer in both illusionary and corporeal mime. Probably the wrong forum for that discussion.

@tmpg2000

What the heck are you disagreeing with? I spent two years touring and performing professionally as an acrobat, dancer, and mime, after several years of intensive training.

I really believe this is the teams focus right now.
Everyday I sign into Patsfans and hoping to see Pat's trade for superstar player or heck at this point just solid spot starter or rotational player.
It seems that we targeted some players it didn't work out and now we are moving on to the draft.

@tmpg2000

What the heck are you disagreeing with? I spent two years touring and performing professionally as an acrobat, dancer, and mime, after several years of intensive training.
Belichick might be interested in adding a mime to his staff. Would lend some creativity to the in-game sideline signaling.

BB is busy rearranging his draft board after the big announcement by Gronk :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes