PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Dominique Easley Enigma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffins

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So what the hell happened with this guy? Apparently he was never officially reprimanded for any one transgression but was accused for being unprofessional. We never hear any thing he actually did or said, or any plays he took off, and yet when he was released he was called "a locker room cancer". It was a shocker to see him released and the explanations were always vague and unsatisfying. We infact took another $1m ish hit on the cap just for releasing him.

He's now apparently considered our biggest first round bust in history.

What's the worst 1st-round pick in Patriots' history?

And yet at the same time, we have Fisher saying Easley was a great player and great teammate. And now after a productive season at the Rams, being graded almost 80 by PFF, being healthy for a full season, and being graded a top 20 defensive tackle, he's being chased by a few teams. Falcons are considering him, as our Raiders and Rams and he'll get a good deal

Five Free Agents The Falcons Need To Consider To Stay On Top In NFC

2017 Raiders Free Agent Preview: DT Dominique Easley

What the hell happened with Easley. So he rehabbed himself instead of listening to Patriots trainers. Gronk does that too. So what? I just don't understand why we released him, and why he "wasn't a good fit" whatever that means. Apparently his on the field play was fine. And apparently he's still productive at another team. Had a good season.

I just never understood what happened here.............

So what the hell happened with this guy? Apparently he was never officially reprimanded for any one transgression but was accused for being unprofessional. We never hear any thing he actually did or said, or any plays he took off, and yet when he was released he was called "a locker room cancer". It was a shocker to see him released and the explanations were always vague and unsatisfying. We infact took another $1m ish hit on the cap just for releasing him.

And yet at the same time, we have Fisher saying Easley was a great player and great teammate. And now after a productive season at the Rams, being graded almost 80 by PFF, being healthy for a full season, and being graded a top 20 defensive tackle, he's being chased by a few teams. Falcons are considering him, as our Raiders and Rams and he'll get a good deal

What the hell happened with Easley. So he rehabbed himself instead of listening to Patriots trainers. Gronk does that too. So what? I just don't understand why we released him, and why he "wasn't a good fit" whatever that means. Apparently his on the field play was fine. And apparently he's still productive at another team. Had a good season.

Ken "game day" Sims was the biggest Pats draft bust - by a mile!

You will likely never get a great answer, barring the possibility Easley admits his own failings (unlikely). The best you tend to get is the post-release performance statistics. I read Easley as a big gamble on NFL work ethic based on physical attributes that would fit with the scheme. In his case, the Pats gambled and lost. Gronk was a gamble as well, but that paid off.

I tend to read Reiss as he often finds something to the backstory.

Fisher saying he was a great teammate might be all you need to know there.

It is an interesting case, but I prefer to think of it as "this guy had talent, but maybe was unable/unwilling to get the whole 'do your job' thing BB insists from his players." In the end : I love it that BB cuts / trades players rather than keep them forever just because they used a high pick for him. Makes for a better team. And winning is all that matters. NE does lotsa that.

Easley has a tremendously high ceiling and was a risk vs. reward pick because Easley can play football. Easley is not very bright and reportedly, became a locker room cancer . The Patriots do not like players who aren't very bright and players who are locker room cancers. The Patriots moved on from Easley.

Straightforward.

No kidding.

He was the next Suh but was more like the next Siliga.

I think he had a ton of potential, and even started to flash some talent at times.

My interpretation of it all was that he wasn't "all-in" on the Patriots way. Maybe he wasn't happy with his role or accepting the coaching. As we learned with Collins, if you aren't going to do your job, you aren't going to be here.

Not really. Sims was a pretty good pro. His problem was what happens to a lot of guys, he was never AS good as his #1 draft position. When you get drafted that high and you become "just a good pro", it comes with a lot of criticism. It's not his fault the Pats drafted him #1. If he'd gone in the 2nd round, he'd have been a beloved 8 year starter.

BTW- Injuries were another big misfortune for Sims, fully 3 seasons worth of games of his 8 years here were lost to injuries. But coming out of Texas, IIRC, he was the consensus #1 pick by all the draft gurus. Face it. Sometimes you do the right thing and get the wrong results.

On the OP - Easley never played badly on the field. Unfortunately he didn't accept being part of this program, which I have said on many occasions, isn't for everyone. Aside from his injuries, when he was on the field Easley excelled. However, he never seemed to fit in. You'd see him being totally indifferent when others on his team were being emotional. It was like there was some kind of disconnect there.

So I'm not surprised he's done OK with the Rams. It's not like he was doing something great. But more like another guy we let go a year too soon rather than a year too late. They would have never resigned him or given him a 5th year. For THAT reason he would be my choice for the worst 1st round pick of the BB era. They didn't miss on assessing his talent or potential, but they did miss on assessing his ability to play in this program and commit to it.

With the Patriots, a player with above average, but not superior athletic abilities who buys into the program 100% is greater than a superior gifted athlete who is only 80% into the program. Easley has potential to be a very solid player, just not with the Patriots.

What a miserable draft pick. BB usually hits with the 1st rounder!

not being on the inside, i have no idea. but that one blew my mind. it was so out of left field for the general fan i think.

Free agent? Isn't he going to play his 4th season next September?

beautiful-meadow-flowers-swaying-win-wind-animated-gif.gif

Last edited:
Didn't like the Pick from Day 1...BB is human after all.:(

Free agent? Isn't he going to play his 4th season next September?

Not necessarily. He cleared waivers and then signed a one year deal. But I believe because he was cut on his rookie contract that he only becomes a RFA.

Didn't like the Pick from Day 1...BB is human after all.:(
You might not have liked it but surely you can understand it? Easley's first step is explosive and given what many believed he had the potential to become, the risk vs. reward investment for a potential top 10 pick at the end of the first round was a calculated gamble. As it worked out, it backfired but I understand the reasoning.

Last edited:
Fisher saying he was a great teammate might be all you need to know there.

It is an interesting case, but I prefer to think of it as "this guy had talent, but maybe was unable/unwilling to get the whole 'do your job' thing BB insists from his players." In the end : I love it that BB cuts / trades players rather than keep them forever just because they used a high pick for him. Makes for a better team. And winning is all that matters. NE does lotsa that.

Without the "amazing talent" of Easley the Patriots won 2 more games than the year before.

With the "amazing talent" of Easley the Rams lost 3 more games than the year before and their coach was fired mid-season.

o_O

Possibly a similar case as Collins of addition through subtraction.

You are using Jeff fisher and PFF as your sources so you have to take it with a mine full of grains of salt.

Being talented isn't enough here. He still has the same talent he was drafted for but he didn't fit even if he fit in on a 4-12 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes