PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defensive Front

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Folks thought that this needed a lot work. Belichick agreed, and acted. Let's see what we have. Obviously, we can keep more or less than my guesses for the most likely to make (NOT locks). This isn't a way too early roster prediction. It is more of a status quo assessment. Lots can happen. However, I do think that we are in very good shape.
========================================
(5) DT/DE (excluding edge rushers)
Guy
Barnmore
Godchaux
Wise
Anderson
(Cowart/Adams/Spence/Thurman/Davis/Bower)

(3) LB LOCKS (barring retirement); Hightower and Van Noy can play ILB or OLB
Van Noy
Judon
Hightower

(3) ADDITIONAL EDGE
Perkins
Uche
Winovich

(2) ADDITIONAL ILB
McMillan
Jennings
(Bentley)
(Hall)

(1) SPECIAL TEAMS
Reynolds

INJURY LIST
McGrone

Stacked compared to last year. Teams won’t be able to run the ball down our throats this season.

I think it was a total overhaul of the front 7. If McGrone heals up and plays well it sets us up nice once Zeus is calls it a day.

Very much needed. Sometimes I dont think it was talked about enough amongst the mediots. Couldn't stop a nose bleed.

above average front 7 players in 2020

Lawrence Guy

above average front 7 players now

Matthew Judon
Kyle Van Noy
Dont’a Hightower
Lawrence Guy
Christian Barmore*

*talent

Also doesn’t include an Uche breakout or Winovich at his new playing weight. Complete 180 in the front seven.

There's certainly a lot more competition going into this year than we had by the end of last year. It would be an interesting comparison to see what the competition was like going into the 2020 TC, just for a cleaner comp. For example, Beau Allen ended up contributing nothing, but he was in the mix at this point last off season. So while I'm VERY happy with the resources applied to the front seven, this group will likely look very different by mid season.

Lawrence Guy

Matthew Judon
Kyle Van Noy
Dont’a Hightower
Lawrence Guy
Christian Barmore*

*talent

Also doesn’t include an Uche breakout or Winovich at his new playing weight. Complete 180 in the front seven.
And what is often forgotten our quality depth got way better. Last year starters could be this year Backups for example. So an injury should not have that much of an Impact and rotation to keep guys fresh and hungry will help a lot.

If Uche breaks out, this front 7 could be very good.

This defense has the potential to be top 5 in the league. I really like our front 7 now and our secondary was a strength already. The two biggest takeaways are:

1- Our run defense should be significantly improved
2- Our pass rush should be improved

Also looking forward to seeing Uche, Jennings, Wino and Dugger continue to develop and improve

Folks thought that this needed a lot work. Belichick agreed, and acted. Let's see what we have. Obviously, we can keep more or less than my guesses for the most likely to make (NOT locks). This isn't a way too early roster prediction. It is more of a status quo assessment. Lots can happen. However, I do think that we are in very good shape.
========================================
(5) DT/DE (excluding edge rushers)
Guy
Barnmore
Godchaux
Wise
Anderson
(Cowart/Adams/Spence/Thurman/Davis/Bower)

(3) LB LOCKS (barring retirement); Hightower and Van Noy can play ILB or OLB
Van Noy
Judon
Hightower

(3) ADDITIONAL EDGE
Perkins
Uche
Winovich

(2) ADDITIONAL ILB
McMillan
Jennings
(Bentley)
(Hall)

(1) SPECIAL TEAMS
Reynolds

INJURY LIST
McGrone
If Barmore can provide an interior pass rush. Look out.

Heard Winovich talked to Ninko who suggested he try to getup to 250.

Also, don’t sleep on Raekwon McMillan. He’s my sleeper for a bounce back year. Will back-up Hightower and Van Noy along with Uche IMO,

Would like to see Barmore and 5 Lb’s on 3rd and long. Hightower, Van Noy, Judon, Uche and Winovich. Can blitz or drop from anywhere!

Poor Guy prob never got to the end of this paragraph :)

It’s not really complicated. He got NLTBE bonuses that he has almost zero chance of not achieving by playing 40% of the snaps because making the criteria only 40% of the snaps would make it LTBE.

I also have hopes McMillan will give us a good season. I think there was a fair bit of hype on him when he was first drafted. Hopefully BB gets the most out of him.

I thought Jennings played better on the Edge than at ILB. He is not athletic enough for that. Needs some work maintaining gap discipline but he should be solid there.

Lawrence Guy

Matthew Judon
Kyle Van Noy
Dont’a Hightower
Lawrence Guy
Christian Barmore*

*talent

I see Godchaux as the key signing. There is a real chance Pats finally get a true anchor after that one good Branch season, who will glue front pieces together, open work for them and make plays himself. There's a reason Bill paid 9M guaranteed at the start of FA.

I love Guy but he was not made to play nose (although he can). He worked best when he had solid anchor beside him, also in Baltimore.

Most importantly, real depth will allow strong rotation of 4 DLs (not incl. Wise) that always worked best for NE (after VW).
Behind 4 “locks“ there will be solid competition between Davis, Adams and Cowart to add additional layer of depth either on PS or 53 in case of injury. Davis might be a dark horse to push for 53 outright if he can finally stay healthy..

I see Godchaux as the key signing. There is a real chance Pats finally get a true anchor after that one good Branch season, who will glue front pieces together, open work for them and make plays himself. There's a reason Bill paid 9M guaranteed at the start of FA.

I love Guy but he was not made to play nose (although he can). He worked best when he had solid anchor beside him, also in Baltimore.

Most importantly, real depth will allow strong rotation of 4 DLs (not incl. Wise) that always worked best for NE (after VW).
Behind 4 “locks“ there will be solid competition between Davis, Adams and Cowart to add additional layer of depth either on PS or 53 in case of injury. Davis might be a dark horse to push for 53 outright if he can finally stay healthy..
Starters are WIse-Gadcheaux-Guy
Anderson and Barmore are locks. If Bb
Wants more of a Backup NG then Davis could beat out Cowart. Not sure what to make of Adams til camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes