PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defense: Why I'm Relatively Optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
This defense should hang its head in shame. You would hope they feel embarrassed by their play
Another beauty. Don't they know there are people at home putting everything they have into these games?
When are the players going to start caring like the fans do?

Or what?
You talk like you are committed to the success of this team and laying it on the line every week giving 100% effort and you can't believe the players don't care as much as you.

I am sure they do. These guys couldn't even cover a wet paper bag right now.

That is a comforting post

Against mobile, to somewhat mobile qbs we are the worst defense of all time.

Other than that we're just regular bad

Thanks OP

They've played exactly *one* game against a non-mobile quarterback, on the road, against a good offense. In my opinion the defense looked perfectly fine in that game.

In my opinion there's little evidence to back up the claim that they're "bad" against non-mobile quarterbacks, given that they've played one game against such a team.

When was the last time New England lost two games at Foxboro in one season? I'm guessing it was quite a while ago. I don't get to watch too many games out here in Ohio, so I don't know the full story. Somebody help me here. Is it a poor attitude, guys just going through the motions, players expecting the other team to fold against the champs? Or are some players just stinking the place up? The only significant player on defense who left was Ninkovich. I don't consider Long, who was just playing to get noticed by another team, and Sheard, who had a mediocre season compared to 2015, to be major losses. Having Ealy play himself out of a job and losing Rivers for the season was bad, but I didn't consider it critical. I'm used to seeing bad defenses being in the Cleveland area, but I always felt the Pats were solid. Next thing, I'll find out there really isn't an Easter Bunny!

Raiders, falcons, broncos, squealers. They haven't even face those teams yet. Now they get the bucs on the road. This team needs to right the ship now.

Well they are definitely going to need the defence to play well against Denver because I don't see the offence putting up a lot of points against the Broncos on the road. They will lose that game if the defence isn't up to standard. I think they will beat the Raiders comfortably in a shootout. Falcons don't particularly have a great defence so I am not too worried about them. Steelers on the road could go either way.

A lot of posters in a lot of threads are angry with Stephon Gilmore and rightly so. He not only makes mistakes he makes very clutch mistakes.

I would suggest that Patricia and Belichick allow the defense to play more aggressively and blitz more against mobile QBs.

The defense, without a doubt, looked at their best against New Orleans. While Alex Smith isn't Mike Vick, he's mobile and Belichick has played him as he plays other mobile quarterbacks. What's the common denominator in the defense's struggles this year, and years past? When they play a conservative, passive style of defense against a mobile quarterback, they look terrible, without fail, every time. Unfortunately Jameis Winston is coming up which isn't ideal.

I want to see this defense get back to playing mobile QBs how they used to during the Romeo Crennel days: aggressively with a lot of blitzing from the edge.

Shame on the coaching staff for not learning from their mistakes.

With all that said, I'm optimistic that they will look better against traditional pocket passers, and I hope that today was a wake up call and that the coaching staff will adjust their approach to defending athletic, mobile quarterbacks.
The most points scored against the Patriots in the first 4 games in the history of the New ENgland Patriots. That says something.

Raiders, falcons, broncos, squealers. They haven't even face those teams yet. Now they get the bucs on the road. This team needs to right the ship now.

The upcoming schedule is horrific. They can't afford to lose more than two for the rest of the season. I'm not sure Jets, LAC are gimmies anymore.

Furthermore, Buffalo is a problem. There's no guarantee they win this division.

Brady looks fabulous. He's doing everything he can. He's not perfect though. Help him out!!!

It's time to cut bait on the idea that there is a good defense here waiting to emerge. This unit is dreadful - perhaps historically so - and it will take a Herculean effort for them to become average.

If the D cant be fixed (which some posters are claiming) then should the pats just forfiet the rest of the season and prepare for next year? Or play JG and save TB. I am honestly curious what the answer is.

A lot of posters in a lot of threads are angry with Stephon Gilmore and rightly so. He not only makes mistakes he makes very clutch mistakes.
OK I am quoting myself since someone clicked the "disagree" button. Please expand on why you disagree.

Try telling that to the homers on this board.
You are the worst spammer this forum has ever seen. You are posting a 1000 posts a month. I would take 100 of the worst homer posters over a garbage spewing idiot like you.

Try telling that to the homers on this board.

I'm one of them, it's just beyond dispute at this point. The most rudimentary shift has these guys scrambling as if this was the first time they ever set foot on a football field. It's a weird combination of hilarity and confounding frustration.

I'm one of them, it's just beyond dispute at this point. The most rudimentary shift has these guys scrambling as if this was the first time they ever set foot on a football field. It's a weird combination of hilarity and confounding frustration.

I keep hearing miscommunication over and over again. Are we gonna keep hearing that in week 9? The number 32 ranked defense in the nfl. Last year they where in the top 12.

Defense averages

Giving up more than 450 yards a game, more than 30 points a game and more than 7.1 yards per play.

It would literally be impossible to get worse, those are on pace for the worst defense in the history of football.

It's time to cut bait on the idea that there is a good defense here waiting to emerge. This unit is dreadful - perhaps historically so - and it will take a Herculean effort for them to become average.
This is why I never bought into the extended preseason thought, at least not with so many issues.

I disagree that they cannot become average, but that may be their ceiling for 2017.

I think Patsfans should choose to be optimistic. After all, being either pessimistic or optimistic is a choice for everyone.

We're 2-2 with 12 games left in a division that appears more competitive than recent years. 3 years ago, we had the same record after 4 games and won a super bowl.

I still get angry and yell at the TV when I see a stupid play, but losses don't ruin my week any longer. After 14 division titles, 7 conference championships and 5 SB trophies, I've lost my edge...and I'm ok with that.

Do I want to see the ship turned around and compete for another SB? Of course I do.

The one thing I've learned from this awesome journey is, anything is possible.

Oh. Look!!! One poster already thinks this post is useful! For what, I have no idea.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back