PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defense: Why I'm Relatively Optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

catent

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I would suggest that Patricia and Belichick allow the defense to play more aggressively and blitz more against mobile QBs.

The defense, without a doubt, looked at their best against New Orleans. While Alex Smith isn't Mike Vick, he's mobile and Belichick has played him as he plays other mobile quarterbacks. What's the common denominator in the defense's struggles this year, and years past? When they play a conservative, passive style of defense against a mobile quarterback, they look terrible, without fail, every time. Unfortunately Jameis Winston is coming up which isn't ideal.

I want to see this defense get back to playing mobile QBs how they used to during the Romeo Crennel days: aggressively with a lot of blitzing from the edge.

Shame on the coaching staff for not learning from their mistakes.

With all that said, I'm optimistic that they will look better against traditional pocket passers, and I hope that today was a wake up call and that the coaching staff will adjust their approach to defending athletic, mobile quarterbacks.

You're Stevie Wonder?

You must be, this is on course to be the WORST defense in the history of football, it's on that pace right now.

When the secondary play up to their potential for one game then i'll start to believe it can be turned around, i'm not taking anything on blind faith.

You're Stevie Wonder?

You must be, this is on course to be the WORST defense in the history of football, it's on that pace right now.

When the secondary play up to their potential for one game then i'll start to believe it can be turned around, i'm not taking anything on blind faith.

No blind faith. I specifically explained why I'm optimistic, not some abstract, "believe in Belichick, it'll be okay" line of reasoning.

You're welcome to hurl petty insults and demean other posters here but I think it's unbecoming of you. I'd recommend a nap and a cold shower, you'll feel better.

I would suggest that Patricia and Belichick allow the defense to play more aggressively and blitz more against mobile QBs.

The defense, without a doubt, looked at their best against New Orleans. While Alex Smith isn't Mike Vick, he's mobile and Belichick has played him as he plays other mobile quarterbacks. What's the common denominator in the defense's struggles this year, and years past? When they play a conservative, passive style of defense against a mobile quarterback, they look terrible, without fail, every time. Unfortunately Jameis Winston is coming up which isn't ideal.

I want to see this defense get back to playing mobile QBs how they used to during the Romeo Crennel days: aggressively with a lot of blitzing from the edge.

Shame on the coaching staff for not learning from their mistakes.

With all that said, I'm optimistic that they will look better against traditional pocket passers, and I hope that today was a wake up call and that the coaching staff will adjust their approach to defending athletic, mobile quarterbacks.

Winston isn't a very mobile QB, luckily. Less so than Alex Smith, probably, and nowhere near Newton and Watson.

Winston isn't a very mobile QB. Less so than Alex Smith, probably, and nowhere near Newton and Watson.

Okay, great. That's encouraging.

This defense should hang its head in shame. You would hope they feel embarrassed by their play. If you want a career night then just call on this defense. The 2011 defense's looking good right now. Now they get Jameis Winston. Another athletic QB on the road.

Raiders, falcons, broncos, squealers. They haven't even face those teams yet. Now they get the bucs on the road. This team needs to right the ship now.

Just blitz mobile quarterbacks? Can't believe Belichick and Patricia didn't think of that? Problem solved.

Rule #1 of communication: if everybody communicates at the same time there is no communication.

I have to believe BB will actually demand from MP that this is resolved immediately whatever it takes. They had a few 1v1 on the sidelines today . even after halftime.

Watching everyone gesticulating everybody, everybody pointing out what others should do . while the ball is already being snapped . is not something BB will be willing to watch for another week. If they are not able to sort out normal communication and green dot command I wouldn't be surprised if BB suspends it completely for a while..

Raiders, falcons, broncos, squealers. They haven't even face those teams yet. Now they get the bucs on the road. This team needs to right the ship now.
Or what?
You talk like you are committed to the success of this team and laying it on the line every week giving 100% effort and you can't believe the players don't care as much as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft