PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defense Is Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defense wasn’t bad. Held up great at the end of the game to give the ball back to the offense. I think the biggest issue was 3rd down throughout the game. We would get them to 3rd down and couldnt get off the field. This allowed Pittsburgh to eat up the clock and keep the ball away from Brady, particularly in the first half. Two of the third down conversions were Bell running his wheel-comeback against Trey Flowers. Trey was avoiding getting blown deep allowing Bell to get lots of separation on the comeback. Eric Rowe messed up on another PIT 3rd down conversion allowing Schuster(I believe it was) to catch a shallow crosser and turn it up for a first down. I’m not sure if maybe one of the linebackers were supposed to help out on that play.

It seeemed like PIT’s run game was targeting Lee’s side whenever they ran at the edge. Also, I believe Lee missed two chances on sacking Ben. Once at the end of the game and another time on 3rd down when it seemed like Ben was wrapped up but he escaped the pocket and ran for the 1st.

Hopefully, KVN returns soon and helps fix some of the minor issues.

In the 2nd 1/2 the Pats D only allowed 7 points on a short field and take away the dumb ass JuJu run they only allowed 95 yrds in the 2nd 1/2.

They made adjustments and did a good job.

There certainly is room for improvement but it wasn't a horrible performance.

In the 2nd 1/2 the Pats D only allowed 7 points on a short field and take away the dumb ass JuJu run they only allowed 95 yrds in the 2nd 1/2.

They made adjustments and did a good job.

There certainly is room for improvement but it wasn't a horrible performance.
I'd give Flowers another chance to cover Le'Veon Bell outta the backfield

Really though....Van Noy needs to get healthy.

Patriots are down three starting LBs and did not have Branch for the last game. That being said, the 3rd down defense was horrendous.

The defense was good enough against the Steelers. Not good enough versus the Dolphins. I hope to see them raise their game in the playoffs. Generally, that is what happens.

I'd give Flowers another chance to cover Le'Veon Bell outta the backfield

Really though....Van Noy needs to get healthy.
I threw out the idea of Chung and M Flowers spying on Bell but BB didn't listen to me. :p

I threw out the idea of Chung and M Flowers spying on Bell but BB didn't listen to me. :p
Heh I was watching the game with Kenneth Simms and we were saying the same thing about having Chung out there on him. I'm not sure what would be more upsetting to see again, seeing the "You can't wear a Raiders jersey to my Christmas dinner" commercial, the "What's a computer?" commercial, or Flowers covering Bell.

The Pats best defensive play Sunday was watching Antonio Brown leave the game.

Yet, despite the dreadful 3rd down D & the "eye test", that ragtag D with a crazy front 7 held Pitt's big three (and friends) to 24 points. And, if we consider that, you'd think NE's offense should be able to get more than 24 to win a big game.

Given that Brown was out of the game, your post doesn't work.

Horrible matchup for the Pats too? I hate playing teams like that in the playoffs.
Yeah, I've only really seen them on the Red Zone Channel, but they remind me in some ways of the Ravens several years ago when they were good. And a royal pain in the ass.

I'd keep Francis around, even if he's not exactly what's needed [lb] They're awfully worn and thin. they're going to need any productive bodies in the front 7 and he has been productive.

Harris and Roberts are really being exposed in the passing game and in general. Be nice if they could find anyone to mixin their, even if Van Noy is healthy.

Understanding that I’m stating the obvious, the team needs to improve on both sides of the ball over the next 6 (hopefully) weeks. They aren’t good enough on either side right now.

They’re certainly not bad, but the level of play needs to rise against top tier teams.

Understanding that I’m stating the obvious, the team needs to improve on both sides of the ball over the next 6 (hopefully) weeks. They aren’t good enough on either side right now.

They’re certainly not bad, but the level of play needs to rise against top tier teams.

I’d have to agree even though I don’t want to. I believe, if we get the key defensive guys back before the playoffs, we will be ok for a title run. If van not, flowers and the others don’t get healthy. It’s going to be challenging to make it deep. That bye. We have to have that or I believe we won’t repeat. No Edelman is a tragedy that’s not being ironed out with replacement... I hoped that someone could do similar routes and all that but it’s not there without hogan. If hogan is ok for post season as well as the other key guys.. hope is alive. Hell, with B.B. and tb there’s hope but I remember losing that element of Lewis and Blount in 2015. Came one play away from beating Denver any ways. Well tying it up at least. So, bill can find a way even with 2015 level injuries but this year is worse injury wise.

Defensive tackle Adam Butler has tallied two sacks and 16 hurries this year, giving him 18 total pressures, the most among rookie defensive tackles so far this season.
For a rookie I've been very happy with Butler this year. To me, he seems to be overpowered in the running game from time to time but I'd ask others to confirm.

VV also had a good rookie year and stout vs the run.

Harris and Roberts are really being exposed in the passing game and in general. Be nice if they could find anyone to mixin their, even if Van Noy is healthy.
I really thought Marquis Flowers was going to emerge as their coverage LB but that has not happened. In theory that role already is Chung and Wrong Way Richards.

I hoped that someone could do similar routes and all that but it’s not there without hogan.

Without Edelman and Mitchell (and, now, Hogan), many of the more common "levels-concept" plays seem to have been much less effective this season. Amendola has kept some of them viable in the playbook, but others seem to have been replaced with more effective RB receiving at shorter range.

Also, without the blocking effectiveness of Edelman and Mitchell, the RB screen game hasn't been working as well as in the past.

Hopefully, Britt can help out a bit with both during the playoff run.

VV also had a good rookie year and stout vs the run.
Between guys like Brown, Valentine, Butler, and even Guy, we have the potential to have a nice first layer or two on the interior line not just for 2018, but potentially the next couple of seasons.

Between guys like Brown, Valentine, Butler, and even Guy, we have the potential to have a nice first layer or two on the interior line not just for 2018, but potentially the next couple of seasons.

It's stunning to realize that this is Brown's 3rd season with the Pats and yet he doesn't turn 24 until Feb 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST