PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defense Is Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quality of players that are being used are such that they couldn't make the team as defensive players. So, yes, Patricia isn't using the best scheme, and is in fact using an awful one.

let's see what happens if Flowers or Van Noy is back.

The front seven is bad, even when healthy (not counting Hightower or VV, who are on IR).

I’m sure injuries are affecting it but without any injuries we came out in that goody 326 nickel base week 1 so this gives me flashbacks.

We need to play a 4 man front with DEs that are 260-270ish not 300 LBs (I dont give a damn if one if the DEs wa ts to stand up) 2 large DTs and 2 LBs in the middle of the field with 5 DBs.
That is the defense that has been excellent this year. It’s better rushing the QB. It’s better to blitz from. It’s better to cover from and it stops the run. When we start screwing with it each piece gets worse.

I agree, and I believe that we will go back to that if Flowers is healthy, perhaps even with Van Noy.

Who would we have chosen as our 2 DE's Monday night? Marquis Flowers and Lee? Wise was injured.

The front seven is bad, even when healthy (not counting Hightower or VV, who are on IR).

Is there any chance that valentine will be back? He could help this run defense. The Britt signing could mean it's likely that Mitchell won't come back.

We need to play a 4 man front with DEs that are 260-270ish not 300 LBs (I dont give a damn if one if the DEs wa ts to stand up) 2 large DTs and 2 LBs in the middle of the field with 5 DBs.

When I have seen this as a base, beside the occasional gash from a rushing attempt, this formation has seemed to be a +, causing plenty of favorable down/distance situations and allowing the D play a bit more downhill.
But I think injuries are making this difficult most specifically KVN not being one of those 2 LBs. Roberts & Ailing Flowers or Reilly is a tough sell for the 2 LBs spots in that D formation.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Is there any chance that valentine will be back? He could help this run defense. The Britt signing could mean it's likely that Mitchell won't come back.

I don't have any inside info on VV, as of now. But, indications do make it seem as if it's Valentine or bust, with regards to the IR return.

Assuming that's the case, I wonder what it says about Mitchell's future in N.E., and in football in general.

Stop it. You're embarrassing yourself.

Now, had you posted: This is the Worst front 7 in the NFL, then you would be correct.

****sdirt's going to kick this "one of the best in the NFL"'s ass so badly next week,
it's going to make your head spin.

They let big plays get behind them.

Cutler should take the NE defense out for dinner.

The only Stat that is important is number of points allowed, even after the debacle in Miami the Pats are still tied at #5 for least points allowed.. all the rest is fluff.

With that being said, Eric Lee (73 snaps) is not the answer... he was exposed big time after having two pretty good games. The more tape that is available, the more the opposing team knows about the player.. then there is Marquis Flowers(51 snaps), Elandon Roberts (57) and Trevor Reilly (21) none of whom could hold the "edge" or generate much of a pass rush...

Every time:

They L: This D is garbage
They W: Let's look who they were playing

They had one bad game (CUTLER was GREAT). That happens. Lets look at the Jaguars and take the best 2 LB's and ED and let's see what happens ...

27 points allowed is fine when your offense forces you to spend the whole game on the field and in bad position.

The offense was entirely the problem. Brady and the offensive line were pathetic. I therefore find it interesting that BB specifically chose to call out the running game.

Captain Stone has been here posting since 2004, so let's leave that ******** where it belongs, which is nowhere near this site.

Just makes him a ground floor troll and doesn't change the fact that 98% of his posts have been **** posts about the team

Teams with bad front sevens don't go 8 games straight in this league allowing on average 11 points a game. Which I know it's hard for you to understand but that's half a season of them holding opponents to under 17 points

Last edited:
Patricia had us at #5 with these players. We need Flowers and Van Noy back.

As poor as these LB's are, we are OK as long as the offense does its job, and as long as Flowers and/or Van Noy are healthy.
====

As an aside, losing Branch hurt us a lot on Monday night.

The only Stat that is important is number of points allowed, even after the debacle in Miami the Pats are still tied at #5 for least points allowed.. all the rest is fluff.

With that being said, Eric Lee (73 snaps) is not the answer... he was exposed big time after having two pretty good games. The more tape that is available, the more the opposing team knows about the player.. then there is Marquis Flowers(51 snaps), Elandon Roberts (57) and Trevor Reilly (21) none of whom could hold the "edge" or generate much of a pass rush...

27 points allowed is fine when your offense forces you to spend the whole game on the field and in bad position.

The offense was entirely the problem. Brady and the offensive line were pathetic. I therefore find it interesting that BB specifically chose to call out the running game.

Not being able to run the ball effectively does reflect poorly on the OL. With the way Lewis and Burkhead (to some degree) have been performing these last several weeks, I'd say the majority of the poor running game performance falls on them.

• Agree
Reactions: jah
Not being able to run the ball effectively does reflect poorly on the OL. With the way Lewis and Burkhead (to some degree) have been performing these last several weeks, I'd say the majority of the poor running game performance falls on them.

I agree, I must have worded my post poorly because my point was that the OL was at fault, not the RBs. Belichick pointed to "running game execution" which places blame, in my opinion, on both the blocking and the running. I'm just surprised it wasn't "passing game execution" because that was just embarrassing.

I will admit that we desperately need Van Noy and Flowers back. Lee isn't the answer, and watching Reilly/Freeny play meaningful snaps breaks my heart. But all in all, that group did what could be reasonably expected of them whereas the offense didn't even look like they were trying.

No, the defense was a big part of the problem too. This was a total failure on both sides of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes