PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defense Is Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The defense is one of the best in the NFL. The issues that were hard to overcome last night include

1) Flowers OUT

2) Van Noy OUT

3) Wise playing injured

4) Branch being injured early

5) the defense being out there way too long because the offense couldn't convert on one 3rd down even once all day
===========

I don't know about next week. Chung could be added to the walking injured. However, IMHO, this defense is good enough for the playoffs and the Super Bowl. The obvious key factor is much more health before the playoffs.

BOTTOM LINE
We need Flowers and Van Noy.

Most of it came down to execution. How many times did Drake make someone miss in the backfield, for example? Or if Richards actually wraps up Cutler, we hold them to a field goal -- perhaps then we go for the TD on 4th down (or just run the ball at the goal line with a minute left). Etc. It's not like we gave up 38 points like the Steelers did on Sunday. Bad days happen, and our injured players will return.

Our offense just couldn't give the defense a breather due to 3rd down woes, and I expect them to fix that during practice. Gronk coming back will also alleviate congestion in the secondary because they can't ignore the middle of the field anymore. Complementary football will be back on display next week.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure a certain Tom Brady will rebound. He's not exactly known for settling for mediocre results or resting on his laurels.

Pats are playing guys who weren't good enough to make any of the other 31 teams' rosters.

I love watching Belichick make stone soup, but it can't work every single game.

Last night COULD be impactful for HFA, but that isn't a definite because the Pats still control their own destiny if they win out.

But last night doesn't speak anything to how the Pats will play the rest of the way. Flowers will be back. Van Noy will be back. Branch doesn't seem to have a serious injury. Gronk will be back. Waddle and/or Cannon will be back.

I think last night had to do with key starters out and poor execution along with the Dolphins fired up. I don't put much stock in this game to the state of the team. The Pats have had disaster games like this in Miami on the way to Super Bowl before.

The players we are discussing did well enough at LB. Not having Flowers was the killer (and being out there so long). We even played without Van Noy almost all of last game.

Pats are playing guys who weren't good enough to make any of the other 31 teams' rosters.

I love watching Belichick make stone soup, but it can't work every single game.

The players we are discussing did well enough at LB. Not having Flowers was the killer (and being out there so long). We even played without Van Noy almost all of last game.

Next time Blackbeard put Roberts in coverage out wide he should be fired.

The defense is one of the best in the NFL...
Stop it. You're embarrassing yourself.

Now, had you posted: This is the Worst front 7 in the NFL, then you would be correct.

****sdirt's going to kick this "one of the best in the NFL"'s ass so badly next week,
it's going to make your head spin.

The quality of a defense has to do with how many points they give up, not what captain stone thinks of them.

Now, had you posted: This is the Worst front 7 in the NFL, then you would be correct.

****sdirt's going to kick this "one of the best in the NFL"'s ass so badly next week,

Defense was up and down in that game. They'd look a lot worse if Malcolm Butler had paid for getting burned on that deep ball.

But still they gave the offense many chances to jump start the comeback, to no avail.

Are you being serious or trying to use some kind of reverse jinx?

The defense needs to ****can the 33 nickel.
It has sucked every time we used it and it’s probably the main reason we lost last night.
I get that injuries may have forced us into it but having 3 of guy, branch,brown,a butler, wise on the field fit almost every snap aligned with 2 olbs outside of them and one lb in the middle is a horrendous scheme for us. It has yet to work. If we try that crap Sunday we better get a nice early lead so we can get out of it.

I am sure they will fake fan

Are you being serious or trying to use some kind of reverse jinx?
of course he is serious. He is a fake fan. Look what he posts about this team..a team he hates everything about.

The quality of players that are being used are such that they couldn't make the team as defensive players. So, yes, Patricia isn't using the best scheme, and is in fact using an awful one.

let's see what happens if Flowers or Van Noy is back.

The defense needs to ****can the 33 nickel.
It has sucked every time we used it and it’s probably the main reason we lost last night.
I get that injuries may have forced us into it but having 3 of guy, branch,brown,a butler, wise on the field fit almost every snap aligned with 2 olbs outside of them and one lb in the middle is a horrendous scheme for us. It has yet to work. If we try that crap Sunday we better get a nice early lead so we can get out of it.

I sure hope you are disappointed by how the patriots play Sunday.

of course he is serious. He is a fake fan. Look what he posts about this team..a team he hates everything about.
I think he really is a Patriots fan but he is one of the most pessimistic, glass half empty posters on this site.

The quality of players that are being used are such that they couldn't make the team as defensive players. So, yes, Patricia isn't using the best scheme, and is in fact using an awful one.

let's see what happens if Flowers or Van Noy is back.
I’m sure injuries are affecting it but without any injuries we came out in that goody 326 nickel base week 1 so this gives me flashbacks.

We need to play a 4 man front with DEs that are 260-270ish not 300 LBs (I dont give a damn if one if the DEs wa ts to stand up) 2 large DTs and 2 LBs in the middle of the field with 5 DBs.
That is the defense that has been excellent this year. It’s better rushing the QB. It’s better to blitz from. It’s better to cover from and it stops the run. When we start screwing with it each piece gets worse.

I think he really is a Patriots fan but he is one of the most pessimistic, glass half empty posters on this site.
He’s a fake fan. Fake as they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back