PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Defense Is Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's stunning to realize that this is Brown's 3rd season with the Pats and yet he doesn't turn 24 until Feb 2nd.
True I'm not seeing a big leap from him as Belichick always discusses that aha moment.
I think he could be upgraded in the off-season and be in to rotate reps or depth as I believe he is suited to.

Understanding that I’m stating the obvious, the team needs to improve on both sides of the ball over the next 6 (hopefully) weeks. They aren’t good enough on either side right now.

They’re certainly not bad, but the level of play needs to rise against top tier teams.

I agree, but it's important to note that they did just beat their main AFC opponent, a team with the best record in the NFL, on their field on a short week after a depleting stretch of 5 road games in 6 weeks. And they did that despite missing Branch, Van Noy, Waddle (for the most part) and Hogan.

This makes me think the necessary improvement is doable and much of it will happen merely by getting healthy.

True I'm not seeing a big leap from him as Belichick always discusses that aha moment.
I think he could be upgraded in the off-season and be in to rotate reps or depth as I believe he is suited to.

Brown's been a very solid interior DL and, when he's been healthy this season, he's been more productive than in the past.

Not sure what sort of "big leap" you're expecting, or why, or how you'd even measure that. Pats interior DL don't typically generate gaudy stats. It's not really their job in BB's defenses.

Brown's been a very solid interior DL and, when he's been healthy this season, he's been more productive than in the past.

Not sure what sort of "big leap" you're expecting, or why, or how you'd even measure that. Pats interior DL don't typically generate gaudy stats. It's not really their job in BB's defenses.
Sure but 5yds given up a clip against the run can and should be improved

Now I'm not saying that a huge part of that isn't Elandon Roberts whiffing in the backfield or shooting past the ball carrier or taking the wrong angle.

If that rushing average was being generated by interior runs as much as or more than by runs around the end (specifically, the left defensive end), you'd have the makings of a point about the interior DL in general.

And then, there's the additional context that Branch's performance has kinda fallen off a cliff this season and that the other three guys taking the most snaps on the interior DL are two rookies and a new UFA.

And then there's the fact that this motley, injury-ridden crew (including the DEs and LBs) has played 8 of their 14 games against Top-10 RBs or rushing attacks.

Brown lost significant snaps to injury (or was OUT) from halfway through the ATL game (wk-7) thru the first MIA game (wk-12).

Again, I'm not sure how Brown NOT making some sort of "big leap" is the root of the problem.

Now I'm not saying that a huge part of that isn't Elandon Roberts whiffing in the backfield or shooting past the ball carrier or taking the wrong angle.

The LB Corps has also been missing experienced veterans to injury and replaced them with younger, less experienced players. The problem with the LBs is not just on Roberts - a second-year player who's also only 23. It's, after all, a team thing, not just a matter of any one player "stepping up" or "making a "big leap" that's going to fix everything.

In effect, this has almost been a "re-building year" in the front seven. Everything simply isn't going to be working the way we'd like it to.

I feel like van noy and branch being back for a potential rematch with pitt could be the ‘deion branch’ return of this year. I remember in 2004 everyone knew dillon missed the regular season game in pitt but nobody outside of ne knew or cared we were missing branch too. Branch killed them in the rematch and our offense looked totally different.

Not sure a. branch/ van noy kill pitt but i think our d will do alot better if we meet again and they are healthy. Should have hogan too.

It’s pretty simple. Health permitting; this defense isn’t/ won’t be dominant. However, the D will be situationally (3rd down/ red-zone) very good. With the GOAT & a healthy Gronk, a good “situational defense” is a good enough.

Trey Flowers is tied for sixth in the NFL with 24 quarterback hits.

Duron Harmon is tied for tenth in the NFL in interceptions (four).

Speaking of dominant, Patrick Chung was fantastic Sunday. Tyrod Taylor was 1-of-9 for 11 yards when targeting the safety. I also had Chung down for three deflections even though the stat sheet gave him two.

Malcom Brown was pretty dominant on Sunday. Three of his six tackles went for negative or no gain. He's improved so much this season.

Last edited:

I thought Brown was a bit disappointing last year, but has really taken a step up this season.

I'm not a hater of this defense at all. They're getting it done for the most part when they need to.

The biggest issue that I see with the D is they seem to play very reactionary. Always chasing down receivers, tackling backs from behind, reacting, not dictating what the offense does. There just isn't that guy in the front 7 that forces the offense to change what they want to do. That's what "great defenses" always have.

Again this isn't to say the D isn't playing ok or effective enough to win a championship. They just don't seem to be able to make a team change what their offense wants to do.

The defense is one of the best in the NFL. The issues that were hard to overcome last night include

1) Flowers OUT

2) Van Noy OUT

3) Wise playing injured

4) Branch being injured early

5) the defense being out there way too long because the offense couldn't convert on one 3rd down even once all day
===========

I don't know about next week. Chung could be added to the walking injured. However, IMHO, this defense is good enough for the playoffs and the Super Bowl. The obvious key factor is much more health before the playoffs.

BOTTOM LINE
We need Flowers and Van Noy.
If you have to keep telling us it's fine..

It’s pretty simple. Health permitting; this defense isn’t/ won’t be dominant. However, the D will be situationally (3rd down/ red-zone) very good. With the GOAT & a healthy Gronk, a good “situational defense” is a good enough.
True, although an argument can be made that we need to amp things up in the passing game again, at least as it pertains to the WRs, which has been off a bit lately. Hopefully, this can be accomplished with the return of Hogan and some bye week practice work with Cooks. I think we’re expecting Amendola to be his usual postseason self.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST