PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case for trading up in the first round of the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade up? Sure, maybe. Trade up into the top 10? That would likely take all 5 of the Patriots' picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

This year's bushel of picks, plus the medical redshirts from last year, represent an extraordinary chance for a Superbowl team to restock. I'd love to see smaller, more strategic moves around the draft board to come away with handful of promising players they can build around.

Fant is not a blocker........I'd rather take Alize Mack in round 3

Sternberger and Mack would be best value for 2 guys not named Hockenson

I watched Alize Mack some nice TE School Notre Dame he seemed to held back some by QB and OL play but he sure looks the part he can Catch - Block and Run. I like the TE Class in general some real Sleepers that can be had well into Day 3. Couple of kids from the Mountain Conference Josh Oliver and Dax Raymond could really be good value picks. I heard that kid Dax Raymond in a interview his dream is to play in the NFL he left early and have a passion for Football. He should interview well BB loves those kind of players.

Trade up? Sure, maybe. Trade up into the top 10? That would likely take all 5 of the Patriots' picks in the first 3 rounds of the draft.

This year's bushel of picks, plus the medical redshirts from last year, represent an extraordinary chance for a Superbowl team to restock. I'd love to see smaller, more strategic moves around the draft board to come away with handful of promising players they can build around.

This. That’s all I have to say.

This idea that Fant isn't a blocker is ridiculous. If you play for that Iowa team as a TE you have to be able to block and he can. He's not going to pancake guys like Hockenson. The other thing is, there's not many guys in any draft year that can block like Hockenson. Hockenson is Gronk 2.0, he's the closet thing to it.

Fant wasn't asked to block.....therefore, he's not a blocker......if he was a blocker, it's because he would have been asked to be a blocker. I've read that some scouts aren't sold on his attitude to become a blocker. His hands have also come into question as it seems his fundamentals in both blocking and catching are suspect.

Fant wasn't asked to block.....therefore, he's not a blocker......if he was a blocker, it's because he would have been asked to be a blocker. I've read that some scouts aren't sold on his attitude to become a blocker. His hands have also come into question as it seems his fundamentals in both blocking and catching are suspect.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Every TE for Iowa has to be able to block, they run 12 personnel an awful lot.

Perfect Blocking by Fant Here.

This is another great thread of Fant receiving capabilities

I think we will have to agree to disagree. Every TE for Iowa has to be able to block, they run 12 personnel an awful lot.

I can tell you you won’t see him here....I’ve watched enough of him to tell you he won’t work as a blocker here

I can tell you you won’t see him here....I’ve watched enough of him to tell you he won’t work as a blocker here
3 consecutive L's is impressive.

I've literally been saying the same as Snooky for months now but hes never going to be a killer in the trenches but is a fine blocker. There's literally 0 evidence to support this.
Bc he's such a threat as a rec he won't be asked to make a living along the line but the idea that he can't/doesn't block couldn't be more false.

3 consecutive L's is impressive.

I've literally been saying the same as Snooky for months now but hes never going to be a killer in the trenches but is a fine blocker. There's literally 0 evidence to support this.
Bc he's such a threat as a rec he won't be asked to make a living along the line but the idea that he can't/doesn't block couldn't be more false.

Then he is not worth a 1st or 2nd rounder

This draft has only 16 to 18 guys with a first round grade, but nearly 50 with a second round grade.

I think bb moves down and scores some 2020 picks.

I will never trade up in the first round to grab Metcalf. Having in mind what ransom Vikings have offered for Patterson or what happened with Doctson or Treadwell I do not buy BB will take a flier on any big bodied WR in round one. I can see a few interesting names in 2nd or 3rd round like Debi Samuel or JJ Arcega-Whiteside.
My first choice would be a DL.

If the right player is there like Jones or Hightower, Belichick will consider moving up. Of course, we’d need to find a willing partner and agree to fair compensation. That’s never a given.

There’s your “case” for trading up in the first round.

I was not precise. My first choice with 32nd pick would be a DL. Of course if it is someone "special" for BB worth trading up he is willing to do it but I seriously doubt it would be a WR.

I was not precise. My first choice with 32nd pick would be a DL. Of course if it is someone "special" for BB worth trading up he is willing to do it but I seriously doubt it would be a WR.
I would think that most positions would be fair game, with the likely exception of WR, as you mention.

There’s always the benefit of having that 5th year option with a first round pick. I’m guessing that it all depends on who is available at the time in relation to their personal big board, and whether or not they can find a willing partner to make the deal.

I would bet that there have been some decent players that they’ve missed out on in the past. Just a hunch.

Are you deluded? How come he’s not worth it then?
It's draft season. Everyone that casually watches college football knows best.

Everyone that knows what their talking about understands Fants skills by now & his blocking is one of the last things I'm worried about. Its more than fine for who/what he is.

Snooky I'm sold sign me up for Fant.:D He would be a Great value pick up with any of our Seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back