PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case for trading up in the first round of the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addictive

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This is the year where it makes sense to trade up in the 1st round of the draft. We have a large number of picks and we will likely not use them all on selections this year. One down side to winning (or competing) for a championship is picking towards the end of the draft each year.

But we have seen when picking in the top 10 the Patriots have drafted a difference maker. E.G. Richard Seymour (pick number six in 2001) and Jerod Mayo (pick number 10 in 2008). Not only were they hugely talented players but they set the tone in the locker room for what Bill Belichick wants to achieve. The Patriots are also known to often select team captains.

There is a player this year who I believe merits moving up in the first round for:
Christian Wilkins - DT - Clemson.
Physically he is huge, 6 feet 4 inches tall and 315 pounds but he also completed a bachelor’s degree in two and a half years. In addition to being 2× CFP national champion (2016, 2018) he also won the William V. Campbell Trophy, given annually to “the absolute best in the country for his academic success, football performance and exemplary community leadership.”

A player like this comes around rarely and he's also a born and bred Massachusetts guy. Belichick will know how to maximise Christian Wilkins' talent but in addition to playing on the D Line Wilkins has also played Special Teams, lined up as a running back and caught a reception.

Wilkins is likely to go in the 10-15 range so maybe the Patriots would be able to trade with the Dolphins who sit at 13, perhaps Flores will follow Belichick's philosophy of the more picks in the draft the greater success you have of hitting on players. The Patriots have the luxury of doing that and trading up for a stud.

We have Isaiah Wynn, OL, Duke Dawson, CB, Ja'Whaun Bentley, LB, all near locks to return to the roster despite either not playing or playing very little last season. Our other picks from last year who didn't play last year Christian Sam, LB, Braxton Berrios, WR and Ryan Izzo, TE will all be competing for a spot.

We have 6 picks in the top 3 rounds [32, 56, 64, 73, 97, 101].
Plus Fourth: 134th overall - original
Sixth: 205th overall - Amendola compensatory
Seventh: 239th overall - via Philadelphia
Seventh: 243rd overall - via Cleveland
Seventh: 246th overall - original
Seventh: 252nd overall - Fleming compensatory

So how much would it cost to trade up to somewhere between 10-15 in the first round? This draft is loaded with DL prospects and the Patriots do need to find an answer to who will play on the DLine next season. I wouldn't be surprised if we double dipped on DLine prospects in this draft.

The Saints gave up a next year first rounder to trade up 13 spots. That should give you some indication of the value. Although, a 3rd rounder and a swap of day three picks moved the Packers from 27 to 18. So it’s possible.

Edit: Bills moved from 22 to 16 by giving up a 1st and 3rd and getting back a 5th. It was a high 3rd though (pick 65).

By every account the value in this draft is in the second and third rounds so unless there's a great value at 32 they'll more likely be trading down than up. If Wilkins or Hockenson last to 32, doubtful at best, I can see them making the pick.

Jest gave up three 2nd rounds to move from 6th to 3rd to pick a QB. Is a DT worth two first rounds? 12 picks are not a lot when you want to move up in the first round. I would rather take some flyers with some pending FAs. If they work out and leave, they can egg you some comp picks.

I'm only moving up for a QB or the next Randy Moss or Vince Wilfork.
If we think Metcalf is Randy Moss,Calvin Johnson,Julio Jones,Deandre Hopkins move up.
If not stay put or trade into 2020.
If there is a plug and play replacement for Trey Flowers or future franchise player at end you move up.

What I would love to see is if we aren't in love with a first round signal caller.
I would move up for Hockenson then move up again for Noah Fant.
We lit the NFL up with the 2 tight end offense and what player to learn better from than Gronk if he comes back for one more year or more.
You may call it wasteful to go Tight end Tight end but I call it innovative.
Of course this is all moot if we splurge for OBJ id much rather trade a mid round pick for Ross.

I think willing goes in the top 10. Too much to give up to trade up into the early round. If montez sweat falls to 20, I would love for us to trade up a couple spots to take him.

The only player worth trading up for in this draft is that LB Devin White, if he somehow falls into the teens. Other than that there isn’t another player that I think would have the impact.

This draft is not that good.

I felt so sick last year just watching the Cowboys take Leighton Vander Esc I think from the 16-20 Range you can get a really good player we have the ammo especially when you're sitting at 32. But one things for sure this is looking like a Deep Draft at certain positions especially at our Need Positions. I think there is a lot of value at DE and TE and WR.

I'm only moving up for a QB or the next Randy Moss or Vince Wilfork.
If we think Metcalf is Randy Moss,Calvin Johnson,Julio Jones,Deandre Hopkins move up.

As an aside, when Dimitroff asked BB if he would trade up for Julio Jones, Belichick said no.

In any case, I think that BB would also consider trading up if he truly viewed Hockenson as GRONK 2.0.

As an aside, when Dimitroff asked BB if he would trade up for Julio Jones, Belichick said no.

In any case, I think that BB would also consider trading up if he truly viewed Hockenson as GRONK 2.0.
He badly misjudged Julio Jones.
He said Parker who was a huge bust was the same player.
That's terrifying when you think about it.
Explains how we wind up with Brandon Tate Bethel Johnson Chad Jackson

We have the Ammo if he's available from 15 on I would pull the trigger on Hockenson. That said I still think Noah Fant can pack some more pounds on his frame and be Coached up Blocking is what sets Hockenson apart from him.

I remember that goes to show the master mind ain't perfect.

I think it's worked out down on Route 1.

I would rather not make any trade that involves giving up a future first round pick, and I doubt we’d ever do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes