PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case for keeping Mac Jones in 2024

I think the team deserves to have a rookie QB back up a Brissett or Cousins type guy. And I think Mac deserves a fair chance somewhere else. Maybe as a backup in SF or something.

Zappe's had every chance in the world to take that job and make his case, he sucks. He's just way too limited even if he doesn't have the personality issues Mac has. If you gave both the perfect offense, Mac's physical abilities would make him better than Zappe.

Neither should be on the team, but if you are stuck rebuilding and just want to get through the year and evaluate, then Mac makes more sense.
For me it has little to do with suckage and more to do with causing locker room drama. They are both going to suck…but at least Zappe didn’t play drama games.

For me it has little to do with suckage and more to do with causing locker room drama. They are both going to suck…but at least Zappe didn’t play drama games.
We heard about the toxic QB room… do we know for sure it was Mac and not Zappe that made it that way? I haven’t seen anything definitively saying it was Mac’s fault.

Last edited:
There is no case for keeping Mac Jones.

The offense didn't even look like an NFL offense when he was playing.

At least with Zappe I think it looked like one. A badone, but still an NFL offense. And that was with half of an already supporting cast on IR.

To be clear I don't think Zappe should be the starter either. But I think there is an easier time having him as a backup.

I could see a few reasons to keep Mac from a technical standpoint, I think he can play much better with a new system, a real OC and in a better offense.

The problem is the rookie, they are going to draft one at #3 or JJ McCarthy/Nix later. The rookie will need a vet to give him instructions and teach a thing or two. There's no good QB room with Mac in this situation, do you think he is going to help a rookie, hell no.

It's gonna become toxic again.
Zappe thinks hes a starter as well.

They are going to invest heavily in a rookie, can't screw the kid. For that reason I think both are gone. Bring a guy like JimmyG or Flacco who knows their place and knows that part of the job will be mentoring the rookie.

I could see a few reasons to keep Mac from a technical standpoint, I think he can play much better with a new system, a real OC and in a better offense.

The problem is the rookie, they are going to draft one at #3 or JJ McCarthy/Nix later. The rookie will need a vet to give him instructions and teach a thing or two. There's no good QB room with Mac in this situation, do you think he is going to help a rookie, hell no.

It's gonna become toxic again.
Zappe thinks hes a starter as well.

They are going to invest heavily in a rookie, can't screw the kid. For that reason I think both are gone. Bring a guy like JimmyG or Flacco who knows their place and knows that part of the job will be mentoring the rookie.
I think the OP was saying to use the 1st round pick for a WR or OT, and look for a QB either later in this draft (eg Penix in the 3rd round) or next year. So Mac isn’t mentoring anyone in that scenario, he’s the #1 for the year. I don’t think you draft a Daniels and keep Mac.

We heard about the toxic QB room… do we know for sure it was Mac and not Zappe that made it that way? I haven’t seen anything definitively saying it was Mac’s fault.

Zappe went and watched tape in another units film room, that sounds like Jones was being an *******.to ne. But it’s also disturbing that Zappe didn’t tell him to pound sand and just go ahead and do his film work in the QB room. Ultimately no one should worry about Mac Jones, he’s a pro bowl QB with his MAC 10 brand he can live off for the rest of his life.

They say that Zappe is uber competitive and doesn't much care for assuming a back up role. They were in a stiff competition with one another. I think the toxic atmosphere had as much to do with Zappe as with Mac. There may even be concern with how Zappe reacts to a new rookie QB. He's not likely to assume the role of mentor. We'll need a career back up to assume that role.

If we do draft a QB, maybe it would actually work to have a veteran like Brisset as a mentor and Zappe as the underdog that creates a competitive atmosphere that pushes the rookie.

2. Build up his trade value
How exactly does this work given NE is reportedly not picking up his 5th year option? (May 2 deadline)

Let Mac start up until week 8 then trade him at the deadline to a team awed by his skillset?
Let him start only against injury riddled defenses in order to create false impressions that Mac has a skillset?

Let's also not ignore his salary in '24 ($2.8 mill).
Hardly cap crushing but If NE drafts a QB at #3 (approximately $7+ mill/yr) and signs a moderately priced vet QB to start as their QB bridge forward, then paying your #3 or #4 ( if Zappe sticks) $2.8 mill becomes an exercise in burning money which Thunder does not tolerate.
If Bill was still around he'd view Mac's salary in terms of 3 potential sweet special teamers who could run into the endzone with flare during meaningless kickoffs.

Why choose Mac and not Zappe? Mac has been broken. At least Zappe hasn’t caused locker room drama (as far as we know).
Because Corky Mac was a 1st round pick.

Corky will always take precedent until he officially busts out. He truly wont bust out until another team surrounds him with talent and the same results occur.

I am sure I will get hammered for this.

Pros

1. No additional assets required
2. Build up his trade value
3. Give him one more chance with a completely new coaching staff
4. Allows you to pick MHJ or Alt
5. Let him compete for starting job in TC against Brisset or Tannehil or Fields
6. If he sucks, will have another top 10 pick next year
7. Many experts said Bill did him wrong, chance to correct that
8. He does not have to start
9. Mayo loves him
10. Takes up very little cap
11. Small chabce he returns to rookie season form
12. They are not competing for SB next year anyway
Post of the Year

13 Kraft is the GM calling the shots. You can spin it anyway that you want but all team decisions NOW must go through Kraft. Kraft bears some guilt and responsibility allowing a very bad man to treat Corky rather shabbily. That is why Corky will get another chance as the 2024 NE Patriots starting QB.

He must start game 1. You cant play musical QBs and create drama and a divided locker room. If Corky fails, then that's one thing, but he must have 100% of the team in his corner for a legit shot to succeed.

Mac will likely look much better in training camp than (say) Zappe does because he's actually quite skilled abstractly.

The problem is that he will likely still collapse under pressure in game situations.

Mac is a goner in this league unless he can demonstrate he's no longer prone to yips.

Drafting a QB this draft with the 3rd pick is OUT. Even the supposedly cant miss QBs like Burrow and Lawrence have been disappointing.

Take Marv Harrison and roll. Build an offense for a NE QB to win with.

As a starting QB, Mac might appeal to either Tampa or Denver, teams that aren't starting over but need a QB. As a backup, he'd be better than many teams' existing backup. So he's got some trade value, and based on Wolf's comments yesterday I think that's the most likely option.

You have to ask the question why his play degraded so badly last year. That's pretty unusual to see and points to other factors than talent. The offense imploded starting with the MattyP experiment, and had Josh stayed and the OL/WR corps played better, then Mac would've played better. With all new coaches and upgraded WR/OL, he could rebound. And as the OP notes, there's many advantages to keeping him if he rebounds.

But Mayo has to weigh whether Mac has lost the respect of the locker room and can actually lead this team or not. At the moment I'm not hearing much support for Mac out of Foxboro, but you never know what AVP and McAdoo might be thinking.

Drafting a QB this draft with the 3rd pick is OUT. Even the supposedly cant miss QBs like Burrow and Lawrence have been disappointing.

Take Marv Harrison and roll. Build an offense for a NE QB to win with.
Not disagreeing with your main point, but in that case I'd trade down to pick up another high 2nd rounder, take one of the top OT's, then pick a WR and a QB like Penix with the two high 2nd rounders.

I’m a proponent of if the guy isn’t your top pick for QB.
Then draft Marvin Harrison, trade back up using your second and next years first for the QB like Mccarhy.

On the value chart what does it cost to get it lack in the top 10?
Our second and a first next year?

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back