5. Let him compete for starting job in TC against Brisset or Tannehil or Fields
6. If he sucks, will have another top 10 pick next year
7. Many experts said Bill did him wrong, chance to correct that
8. He does not have to start
9. Mayo loves him
10. Takes up very little cap
11. Small chabce he returns to rookie season form
12. They are not competing for SB next year anyway

My bad. I thought you were going to say -target practice.

The only other possible explanation I could come up with was -another top 3 pick.

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

Ship has sailed imo. If some team really thinks BB torpedoed his career then let them pay up to take him in a trade.

I am sure I will get hammered for this.

Pros

1. No additional assets required
2. Build up his trade value
3. Give him one more chance with a completely new coaching staff
4. Allows you to pick MHJ or Alt
9. Mayo loves him
I was feeling it for Mac Jones but I was drinking at the time I was a little off Hell No!.

Drunk That 70S Show GIF by Peacock

What is the absolute best case scenario for Mac Jones (or even Justin Fields)? Maybe a slightly-above average season?

What would that amount to? Probably a Daniel Jones-type contract.

So even in the absolute best case scenario in keeping Mac Jones, we get screwed.

Ship has sailed imo. If some team really thinks BB torpedoed his career then let them pay up to take him in a trade.
Right now a conditional 6th would be a blessing the dude has no value. How many tapes do we have of him throwing it well outside the numbers?? Get my point slim pickings. :(

Looking League Of Legends GIF by G2 Esports

You forget one more Pro.
#13 Another Top 5 draft pick

If we have to watch Mac Jones play QB for the Pats in 2024, it will be a huge disappointment.

For those who think it might not be that bad, just take a look at his pick at the end of the game in Germany last fall. Any hope I had that he would ever be a servicable QB, died right there.

Why choose Mac and not Zappe? Mac has been broken. At least Zappe hasn’t caused locker room drama (as far as we know).
I'm in favor of keeping Zappe as a number three QB. Perfect player for that role. I think they'll sign a veteran (Brissett) and draft someone to develop to play either by midseason or to be ready in 2025.

I just don't see any benefit in keeping Mac, aside from playing him heavily in the preseason after the starter sits and trying to raise his stock for the sake of moving him by the time camp ends. Even then, that strategy takes away reps from guys that need them for the long term.

Honestly, they really sort of need to do it by the end of the draft weekend. Get what you can and move on.

Last edited:
Need to clear out the QB room. Sign a veteran back up who can also mentor the new rookie QB. Mac was set up to fail, but he doesn’t have talent to where all you need to do is build around him to succeed. Let him have a fresh start elsewhere.

Last edited:
You forget one more Pro.

If we have to watch Mac Jones play QB for the Pats in 2024, it will be a huge disappointment.

For those who think it might not be that bad, just take a look at his pick at the end of the game in Germany last fall. Any hope I had that he would ever be a servicable QB, died right there.
He was injured earlier in that series, so I give him a pass on that throw. It was obvious at the time that something was wrong.

At this point I'm not going to hold whatever happens against him. If he wants to try and give it one more offseason here, fine. If he wants a trade, fine.

You forget one more Pro.

Classic Tv Fred Sanford GIF by Sony Pictures Television

I am sure I will get hammered for this.

Pros

1. No additional assets required
2. Build up his trade value
3. Give him one more chance with a completely new coaching staff
4. Allows you to pick MHJ or Alt
9. Mayo loves him
That's certainly a lot of positives, assuming this staff could get him straightened out which I think is possible. He's talented enough, not a stud but capable. If they can train him to react better to pressure and step up more decisively, he would be much more effective. His arm is not the root of his problems.

But this is a tough environment for someone that just had the year he had. The media will be unsufferable.

There's only one case.

1. They don't love who the QB is at 3 and pass and can't find anyone decent in round 2/3 and are content to get MHJ and fix the offense for the next guy AND there's nobody in free agency to play stopgap

Why choose Mac and not Zappe? Mac has been broken. At least Zappe hasn’t caused locker room drama (as far as we know).
Zappe's had every chance in the world to take that job and make his case, he sucks. He's just way too limited even if he doesn't have the personality issues Mac has. If you gave both the perfect offense, Mac's physical abilities would make him better than Zappe.

Neither should be on the team, but if you are stuck rebuilding and just want to get through the year and evaluate, then Mac makes more sense.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back