PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The case for keeping Mac Jones in 2024

I wouldn't keep him but we also can't sit here and say he got a fair shot here either. Myers and Bourne were essentially his best weapons his entire tenure. If you keep him, they need MHJ and another top WR in order to make it work. Your best case scenario if that happens is Tua 2.0
No one was ever promised a fair shot, anywhere, anytime.

The situation is what it is.

It is time for him to move on.
==========
And, yes, I agree that he was treated very poorly. Another way of putting it is that he just wasn't good enough to make himself succeed with Patricia in charge. Mac never recovered from Josh's departure (and Hoyer's).

I have one complete deal breaker for the idea: the fans. That man is forever one interception away from being booed off the field or having the other guys name chanted for.

Mac is mentally soft and he absolutely cannot handle this.

Possible. But I haven't heard any report that said for sure it was Jones initiating it all. My guess is both of them contributed to the problem. JM pretty much admitted the locker room was divided between the QBs which is why one or both of them should go.

Why would Zappe start it? Was he upset that he got to be the starter?

I have one complete deal breaker for the idea: the fans. That man is forever one interception away from being booed off the field or having the other guys name chanted for.

Mac is mentally soft and he absolutely cannot handle this.
You're right.

All NFL quarterbacks need to learn to ignore the boos of the fans. The fans will boo anyone. They simply need to be ignored.

Last edited:
Why is this thread even active? Mac is the past.

There is not a case for keeping Mac Jones. It is best for him and the Patriots to separate during this off season.

Bye Bye Mac, go FU another team as the backup instead of the starter. He will be whining on the bench about not playing and going outside of the organization for advise with that leaking to the press.

Trading Jones will get little in return maybe a 6 round draft pick.

Keeping Mac Jones consumes a player position. Jones would only be used if the season busted for some reason so that is a waste of using a player position to keep him on the roster.

So keeping him is a waste and trading him gets nothing in return. I think just give him a pair of shoes and say good bye.

I am not a Mac Jones guy but I would support building up the WR position (including drafting MHJ) and keeping Jones as a bridge to whomever we eventually get to throw to all those receivers. Even if we draft a QB, sometimes that rookie isn’t ready game 1.

There’s a lot of WR (and TE) talent available in the draft. Let’s see just how different this club is from the old regime.

As a starting QB, Mac might appeal to either Tampa or Denver, teams that aren't starting over but need a QB. As a backup, he'd be better than many teams' existing backup. So he's got some trade value, and based on Wolf's comments yesterday I think that's the most likely option.
If the Pats trade Mac, don't they also trade his contract? And doesn't that mean the team trading for Mac has to pick up his fifth year option? That would be a significant salary cap risk for the receiving team if that's the case.

Last edited:
If the Pats trade Mac, don't they also trade his contract? And doesn't that mean the team trading for Mac has to pick up his fifth year option? That would be a significant salary cap risk if that's the case.
They don't have to. That's why it's called an option.

Plus, the time for them to do that is past (or it will be if it's after the league new year begins).

I am sure I will get hammered for this.

Pros

1. No additional assets required
2. Build up his trade value
3. Give him one more chance with a completely new coaching staff
4. Allows you to pick MHJ or Alt
5. Let him compete for starting job in TC against Brisset or Tannehil or Fields
6. If he sucks, will have another top 10 pick next year
7. Many experts said Bill did him wrong, chance to correct that
8. He does not have to start
9. Mayo loves him
10. Takes up very little cap
11. Small chabce he returns to rookie season form
12. They are not competing for SB next year anyway
I admire your optimism. Admittedly I was one of Mac's biggest supporters, however as the season wore on it became apparent that both sides should move along for various reasons.

In a perfect world Mac stays and redeems his career, and hits FA with some value. Problem is we are getting a QB at 3.. that QB is going to need to be groomed by a vet with at least some NFL winning pedigree neither Mac or zap have. There still is a part of me that would be curious to see if Mac would work in AVPS system.. however unfortunately I think time has run out.

Classic Tv Fred Sanford GIF by Sony Pictures Television
Hahaha..

I admire your optimism. Admittedly I was one of Mac's biggest supporters, however as the season wore on it became apparent that both sides should move along for various reasons.

In a perfect world Mac stays and redeems his career, and hits FA with some value. Problem is we are getting a QB at 3.. that QB is going to need to be groomed by a vet with at least some NFL winning pedigree neither Mac or zap have. There still is a part of me that would be curious to see if Mac would work in AVPS system.. however unfortunately I think time has run out.
Yes, we can keep Jones and Zappe, with one MAYBE being the #3 emergency QB. Either, or both, could be cut or traded.

This has no effect on the need for a veteran starter as a bridge and drafting a QB in the top 10 picks.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back