PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Brady 6. (The first 6 incompletions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony2046

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
My Novice opinion: Better minds please chime in.

After listening to sporadic chit chat regarding Brady's overall performance against the Broncos and his first six incompletions I wanted to look at the film and take a look for myself. While I do agree it wasn't one of his best statistical performances I do think it was one of his smartest games played this year and disagree with the mediots that grade his performance as "poor". It was definitely good.

Brady and crew were facing the #1 Passing Defense and according Football Outsiders the #1 Defense overall. They lead the league in Sacks and are one of the league leaders in Hurries so they can bring the pressure as we all already knew. Their Running Defense is their weakness as many posted prior to the game. Brady played the defense perfectly. When they rushed 5, which was rare, Brady hit his hot read and on one occasion White was an ankle tackle away from a TD. When they rushed 3, also rare, Brady moved around in the pocket to find the open guy (Develin for a first and goal). The Pats ran 39 times and passed 32 times. (When is the last time that has happened?) The Pats played to exploit the Bronco's run D weakness and Brady played a smart mistake free game.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | 2016 DEFENSE EFFICIENCY RATINGS

Footnote: Although this thread is about Brady's performance I have to add that Patriots defense played phenomenally well which allowed Brady/Offense to play the safe/smart gameplan.

Below are six screenshots of his first six incompletions. They include 1 knocked down, 2 Drops, 2 Bad throws and 1 low throw to Bennett. (Not sure if Bennett ran his route correctly or not. It looks like he ran right into the safety coverage instead in front of it. Or Brady read the coverage wrong. I'm not sure.) (Footnote: Some images might seem as though another receiver was open but sometimes they became open after the throw.)

Of course Brady went on to complete his next 6 passes. Four during the TD drive which included the sweet toe dragging sideline Edelman catch and two the next drive. Four of those six went to Edelman. Edelman, again, seems to be the key that gets this offense going.

First Incompletion: 3rd and 3. Pass knocked down by Wolfe.
upload_2016-12-23_10-12-36.png

Second: Bad throw. Ball lands a yard away from White and on his right side. Looks like it got a away from Brady as it didn't have any zip on it either.
upload_2016-12-23_10-24-53.png

Third: The Ball hits White in the hands. Drop.
upload_2016-12-23_10-26-23.png

Fourth: Bad Pass: White is open by a step but Brady threw it just out of reach. It looks catchable in this photo but it wasn't. imo
upload_2016-12-23_10-34-50.png

Fifth: Brady threw it low to Bennett. Ward was all over it. If thrown any higher could have been intercepted.
upload_2016-12-23_10-40-53.png

Sixth: 3rd and 10. A short throw to White. Dropped. A safe throw hoping White can make the first guy miss but the Broncos had good coverage on the play. Would have been short of a first even if caught.
upload_2016-12-23_10-44-23.png

The other 10 incompletions were:

1. To Edelman in coverage. Edelman got caught up with the linebacker which messed up his timing. Decent throw by Brady. Tough catch for Edelman.

2. Overthrow to Lewis in the Endzone. Can't tell if Lewis slowed down but asked to come out of the game after that play.

3. To Bennett but I think Talib tipped it before it got to Bennett. Good defensive coverage.

4. To Edelman but stripped out of his hands by Nelson. Good defensive play.

5. The fumbled snap. Brady picked it up and threw it away. Aborted play.

6. To Hogan. Dropped.

7. Thrown away. Brady Scrambled out of the pocket due to pressure.

8. To White but Talib had great coverage.

9. Threw out of the back of the Endzone. Avoiding pressure and keeping a FG possible. (Up 13-3 at the time and on the goal line insinuates that Brady had complete trust in the defense to hold the Broncos and therefore did not try to force a TD throw.) imo

10. To Edelman. Thrown high but through the hands. Catchable? Tough. Didn't matter though because Ward decided to Flex after the play. :D FIRST DOWN. Thanks Ward.

upload_2016-12-23_12-5-17.png

So those are my thoughts. Any input or corrections will be appreciated.

Nice work, Tony! Nailed every point IMHO.

FWIW, we may have to start referring to you as the Czar of the Telestrator. :)

Nice work, Tony! Nailed every point IMHO.

FWIW, we may have to start referring to you as the Czar of the Telestrator. :)

Haha. No but I do enjoy using Game pass screenshots to illustrate plays for discussion purposes.

My Novice opinion: Better minds please chime in.

After listening to sporadic chit chat regarding Brady's overall performance against the Broncos and his first six incompletions I wanted to look at the film and take a look for myself. While I do agree it wasn't one of his best statistical performances I do think it was one of his smartest games played this year and disagree with the mediots that grade his performance as "poor". It was definitely good.

On the fourth and fifth incompletions Mitchell (I think) looks to be wide open both times.

On the fourth and fifth incompletions Mitchell (I think) looks to be wide open both times.

I think you're looking at Hogan on the out route. Yes he was open. But I think Brady liked the matchup between White and Nelson (ILB). Mitchell (Circled) had man coverage with help over the top as did Bennette on the right side of the field. White stumbles slightly out of his cut.

upload_2016-12-23_13-57-47.png

This is a millisecond after Brady released the ball. The pressure was coming so not much time to throw. White was open. Brady just missed.
upload_2016-12-23_14-3-12.png

The Fifth Throw: This as Brady's arm is in motion to throw it. Everyone is covered. The safety was all over this play. Actually it's one of the plays I wonder if Bennett should have ran more of an in route or at least underneath the safety coverage. But Brady threw it low enough that only Bennette had a real shot at catching it.

upload_2016-12-23_14-16-52.png

Nice work.

I do think Tom and the team was a little antsy at the start. Once they settled down and found a rhythm vs a very good defense it was over.

I agree. I think he was thinking quick throws but later gained confidence in his O line.

During the game, Develin was open - wide open - a couple of times, along the sideline.
I hope that Brady looks to him more often as a means to easy yards & possible 1st downs.

Also, during the Pats' last drive of the 1st half, while Brady was throwing a long incompletion
to Lewis that had no chance whatsoever of being caught (Talib in blanket coverage), Bennett
was wide open down the same sideline for an easy 1st down (they only needed 5 yards); he then
would've stepped out of bounds, stopped the clock, and been a mere few yards away from very
makeable FG range.

The game went just like last year's afccg. Brady targeted White like 16 times in that one and a few went to Bolden as well. The catch rate that game was horrible and made me miss Vereen more than ever. Fast forward to this game and White literally drops the ball again. What stunned me is why we weren't using Lewis in the passing game for his raw speed over White. Keep in mind that most of White's catches come at the line of scrimmage, not beating man coverage etc down the field.

The game went just like last year's afccg. Brady targeted White like 16 times in that one and a few went to Bolden as well. The catch rate that game was horrible and made me miss Vereen more than ever. Fast forward to this game and White literally drops the ball again. What stunned me is why we weren't using Lewis in the passing game for his raw speed over White. Keep in mind that most of White's catches come at the line of scrimmage, not beating man coverage etc down the field.

They did that because they like the matchup of White/Lewis on their linebackers. White had two drops at the beginning of the game and Brady missed him twice. Three of those four would have resulted in positive yardage. It's a good matchup. They just missed it.

Last years AFCCG they had too many injuries and the O line was keying off the defense with the head bobs pre snap. That didn't happen this time. Edelman is healthy which another big difference over the AFCCG and Edelman's health may have been the reason White was targeted 16 times.

If my memory serves me correctly that is. :)

During the game, Develin was open - wide open - a couple of times, along the sideline.
I hope that Brady looks to him more often as a means to easy yards & possible 1st downs.

Also, during the Pats' last drive of the 1st half, while Brady was throwing a long incompletion
to Lewis that had no chance whatsoever of being caught (Talib in blanket coverage), Bennett
was wide open down the same sideline for an easy 1st down (they only needed 5 yards); he then
would've stepped out of bounds, stopped the clock, and been a mere few yards away from very
makeable FG range.

Good call. Bennett was wide open on the play. I wonder if Brady misread that coverage.

upload_2016-12-23_21-8-9.png

Good thread. How soon we forget a young QB, good defense and consisten power back won us our first championship. Many throws were darts at knee height so they couldn't be intercepted.

Very likely the game plan was low risk passes and patience, with our RBs and defense playing well right now. Thought the score was low, I always felt that game was under control.

I think white is faster than Lewis. He doesn't have his incredible elusiveness, though.

Great post and thread to keep me warm on this cold holiday eve....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3