PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The best draft research resources

Ok, I can't stand it anymore. I miss my NFLDraftScout.com. I am thinking of plunking now some cash and either getting:
1) Sporting News War Room
or
2) ESPN Insider for McShay, Kiper and Scouts Inc.

Any advice before I take the plunge?
My membership there hasn't expired yet, I hope I can keep it working after it does expire this month because being able to go back and look at old draft classes helps when researching prospects - I hate the CBSSports version, horrid color scheme and no historical information.

Ok, I can't stand it anymore. I miss my NFLDraftScout.com. I am thinking of plunking now some cash and either getting:
1) Sporting News War Room
or
2) ESPN Insider for McShay, Kiper and Scouts Inc.

Any advice before I take the plunge?

1) Last time I had a subscription to TSN just a couple of years ago, its overall rankings only went up to 99. Very annoying.

2) As much as I despise FESPN, I always get the one-month subscription to Insider after the 1st week of April. Pretty good stuff. I kinda feel dirty afterwards, but I can't help myself.

Came across a site with some good stuff.

Universal Draft

It's got some good videos of all the different aspects of players' games that can be found on their site and on YouTube. It's good because it's not just a bunch of highlights, it exposes some flaws in the players. It's got positional rankings and will have a mock draft up soon. It's also got some nice lengthy write ups on players and analysis of the videos.

Sideline Scouting - never seen it before, "Off The Grid" posted a link in the forum, looks pretty good.

Sideline Scouting - Home

Bunting IS the Best. :cool:

I've put together a Scouting Report Vertical for my own use...But I think y'all might find it useful, as well: I've basically consolidated the Scouting Reports from all my favorite Sites, so that you can get ALL of their reports on each player on one page:

- 2011 NFL FootBall Draft Scouting Reports

I've been very carefull about NOT pimping it on the Threads, and have no intention of doing so...But it seems like this is an appropriate place to let y'all know about it: It's crude as hell, but I love using it, myself, so I hope y'all will, as well. :)

Bunting IS the Best. :cool:

I love looking at Bunting's evaluations too, but something to keep in mind is that he basically has no credentials. He's just an ambitious young guy that knows how to work the internet. I assumed he was a former NFL coach or scout. Not so. If you look up his bio it states that:

"Wes Bunting, the National Football Post’s director of college scouting, has been monitoring the college football scene since 2002.

He completed a football GM and scouting course from Sports Management Worldwide, studying under Marc Trestman and Russ Lande, and has published scouting reports for NFLSmackdown.com, Scout.com and NFLDraftscout.com. He’s a member of the Football Writers Association of America."

- What exactly does monitoring the college football scene include? I have a clicker too.
- The course he completed was an 8-week online course. The only prerequities are that that you are 18 years old and have a passion for sports. Oh, and $1,450.

Football General Manager and Scouting Course | Sports Management Worldwide

There is a new class starting on April 11th for anyone interested.

Kudos to Bunting for his ambition and how he has carved out his niche. But take his analysis with a grain of salt. There are other, equally qualified people posting on these and other Pats boards than Bunting. (And I don't mean myself !)

I love looking at Bunting's evaluations too, but something to keep in mind is that he basically has no credentials. He's just an ambitious young guy that knows how to work the internet. I assumed he was a former NFL coach or scout. Not so. If you look up his bio it states that:

"Wes Bunting, the National Football Post’s director of college scouting, has been monitoring the college football scene since 2002.

He completed a football GM and scouting course from Sports Management Worldwide, studying under Marc Trestman and Russ Lande, and has published scouting reports for NFLSmackdown.com, Scout.com and NFLDraftscout.com. He’s a member of the Football Writers Association of America."

- What exactly does monitoring the college football scene include? I have a clicker too.
- The course he completed was an 8-week online course. The only prerequities are that that you are 18 years old and have a passion for sports. Oh, and $1,450.

Football General Manager and Scouting Course | Sports Management Worldwide

There is a new class starting on April 11th for anyone interested.

Kudos to Bunting for his ambition and how he has carved out his niche. But take his analysis with a grain of salt. There are other, equally qualified people posting on these and other Pats boards than Bunting. (And I don't mean myself !)

While I'm not claiming every guy with a blog on the internet is a qualified scout, I think the credentials thing is a bit much. If you look at the history of some of the "qualified" guys, you'll see that many didn't have the credentials to be where they are. Every scout had to start somewhere when they weren't necessarily qualified.

Scott Pioli played college ball but nothing in his background suggested he'd be a successful GM. He drove to Giants training camp every year and a mutual friend got him in touch with BB, who was impressed with his dedication and offered him a job.

Thomas Dimitroff also played some college ball in Canada. His dad was a coach and scout, so Dimitroff had a foot in the door. But he bounced around a lot, even working on the grounds crew in Cleveland during the days while doing some light scouting for the Chiefs at night.

Mayock is considered one of the top draft experts in the country but his qualifications are that he played in the NFL for a few years, then later became a college football analyst. What qualifications did Mayock have to be an analyst? None, really.

Todd McShay played a bit of college ball, worked for a start-up scouting publication under former NFL scout Gary Horton, and joined ESPN when they bought it in 2006.

You should take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt, even if they're a pro. Matt Millen has more GM experience in the draft than most draft experts. Do you trust his opinion more because of that experience?

All of this is a long way of saying just because you've never done it as a pro doesn't mean you can't provide pretty decent analysis. Bunting has done some pretty good stuff, and it wouldn't surprise me if it led to a pro job one day. One only needs to look at MLB to see the impact outside analysis has had in revolutionizing the way the game is played, and Boston fans don't have to look far to see a team shaped by that outside analysis.

The best thing about Bunting isn't his own analysis, but the information he gets from talking to scouts.

The best thing about Bunting isn't his own analysis, but the information he gets from talking to scouts.
The best thing about Bunting is some of the data and commentary he unearths, it gives one some insight into NFL decision makers, if only because we can expect them to be thinking just the opposite.

While I'm not claiming every guy with a blog on the internet is a qualified scout, I think the credentials thing is a bit much. If you look at the history of some of the "qualified" guys, you'll see that many didn't have the credentials to be where they are. Every scout had to start somewhere when they weren't necessarily qualified.

Scott Pioli played college ball but nothing in his background suggested he'd be a successful GM. He drove to Giants training camp every year and a mutual friend got him in touch with BB, who was impressed with his dedication and offered him a job.

Thomas Dimitroff also played some college ball in Canada. His dad was a coach and scout, so Dimitroff had a foot in the door. But he bounced around a lot, even working on the grounds crew in Cleveland during the days while doing some light scouting for the Chiefs at night.

Mayock is considered one of the top draft experts in the country but his qualifications are that he played in the NFL for a few years, then later became a college football analyst. What qualifications did Mayock have to be an analyst? None, really.

Todd McShay played a bit of college ball, worked for a start-up scouting publication under former NFL scout Gary Horton, and joined ESPN when they bought it in 2006.

You should take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt, even if they're a pro. Matt Millen has more GM experience in the draft than most draft experts. Do you trust his opinion more because of that experience?

All of this is a long way of saying just because you've never done it as a pro doesn't mean you can't provide pretty decent analysis. Bunting has done some pretty good stuff, and it wouldn't surprise me if it led to a pro job one day. One only needs to look at MLB to see the impact outside analysis has had in revolutionizing the way the game is played, and Boston fans don't have to look far to see a team shaped by that outside analysis.

In all of your examples, the people put in their time either playing for or working for NFL franchises *before* becoming "experts".

In all of your examples, the people put in their time either playing for or working for NFL franchises *before* becoming "experts".

I don't think playing pro football is a qualification to scout others. In some ways, it could even be seen as detrimental if the former player over-generalizes based on his own experiences.

But your point is correct, for most of them, they did play for NFL franchises. McShay is an exception, and Dimitroff joined the Browns grounds crew when his dad was a scout so I'd consider him an exception as well. But my point is that none of them had any special type of educational background or special skills that made them stand out as potential future talent evaluators.

They liked football and were smart and were willing to work hard. Some caught a break, some had a foot in the door through a connection. Caserio played university football with Josh McDaniels. McDaniels got his start at Michigan State because his dad was friends with Nick Saban. They all took the opportunity and made the most of it. They learned on the job. They made a ton of mistakes no doubt. They studied hard though, burned a lot of hours, and constantly improved.

So a guy like Bunting has improved dramatically since his first year covering the draft. He's not Bill Polian or Bill Belichick yet, but he's improved significantly. I think he provides some definite insights that other experts miss. Maybe that will be a foot in the door. Maybe he gets a pro job because of it. That won't make his analysis better or worse or more or less valid. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt, because no one is infallible.

And as you mentioned previously, I think there are definitely more qualified posters on this board and others. I'd take some of them over some of the pro guys too (Raiders, I'm looking at you). But again, none of them (as far as we know) are pro personnel people. You can have a valid opinion and insight without working for the NFL.

I just saw this and thought I'd pass it along to those that may be interested:

NFL Draft Bible - Major Announcement

Exclusive insider content published by the NFL Draft Bible has only been available through our paid subscription…until now! The NFL Draft Bible is making all information available to the public entirely FREE.

We recognize that internet coverage and the ever-increasing popularity of the NFL Draft has led to the launching of numerous sites. All of them are attempting to capture part of the nearly 50 million people who watch what has become the phenomenon we love to follow--the NFL Draft.

So sit back, relax and enjoy the ride over the next 32 days as we deliver all our hard work and effort that went into covering the 1,000 players we have ranked over the past 333 days. The journey to yet another NFL Draft has hit the home stretch. After a decade of watching these young men pursue the ultimate dream, celebrate our ten years of coverage by enjoying our content and spreading the word…

I have yet to see what they have to offer that you formerly had to pay for - and I'm very hesitant to recommend them simply because most of their top people are Jets fans - but it's a relatively well known site that may have some interest to those in this forum.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back