PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Athletic: Dude with the Red Sleeves is NFL's Top Pass Rusher

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score

According to the Athletic's pressure index, Matt Judon is the NFL's top pass rusher through 4 weeks. Also, as a team, the Pats are ranked 8th. Amazing free agent signing by Bill!

Matt Judon might be a bit of a surprise to claim the top spot on the league’s pressure percentage list. But the Patriots linebacker was a good pressure player the last couple of years with the Ravens, given he’s gained two Pro Bowl trips the past two seasons. There’s no denying his effectiveness, though. He’s picked up at least one sack the past three games, including 2½ sacks against the Saints in Week 4 and six pressures at the Jets in Week 3.

Judon age 29
Uche age 23
Barmore age 22

Jackson age 25 (FA)
Jones age 28
Mills age 27
Phillips age 29 (FA)
Dugger age 25

Pats should have pass rush & secondary covered during Mac’s rookie deal. Once Uche & Barmore are starters it’ll probably be their best pass rush since Jones, Sheard, Ninko & the LBs.

As an aside the Ravens may want to re-think how they use their pass rushers after Za’Darius Smith & Matt Judon took their games to another level elsewhere.

One thing Rodney Harrison recently commented on is that the Pats are slow at LB, despite the defense as a whole being able to get to the QB. I'm hoping Collins, even at age 32, can inject some speed into the lineup.

Would love to see what he and Collins can do in tandem if Jamie still has some gas in the tank. That's some tremendous athleticism coming from the second level.

Judon age 29
Uche age 23
Barmore age 22

Jackson age 25 (FA)
Jones age 28
Mills age 27
Phillips age 29 (FA)
Dugger age 25

Pats should have pass rush & secondary covered during Mac’s rookie deal. Once Uche & Barmore are starters it’ll probably be their best pass rush since Jones, Sheard, Ninko & the LBs.

As an aside the Ravens may want to re-think how they use their pass rushers after Za’Darius Smith & Matt Judon took their games to another level elsewhere.
IMO, 3 guys is not really pass rush, but yeah, outside of the certainty of a #1 CB, and a replacement for DMac, we are deep in the secondary

Judon has been a great player for the Pats, but he is no Deatrich Wise.

Image if Judon wasn't blatantly held in throughout most games what he could do. But I guess most of the top pass rushers are blatantly held through most games.

Those red sleeves were such a good branding decision. They've already become iconic after a month.

This!

Someone should put together a tape of all the uncalled holds against him. Shame the refs into doing better.
It's so bad... He had to basically be put in a chokehold and bent over backwards for an extended period of time before they'd call it...

Judon age 29
Uche age 23
Barmore age 22

Jackson age 25 (FA)
Jones age 28
Mills age 27
Phillips age 29 (FA)
Dugger age 25

Henry 26
Smith 26
Bourne 26
Agholor 28
Meyers 24
Asiasi 24
Harry (Yeah, I know) 23

I sense a pattern here.

He had to basically be put in a chokehold and bent over backwards for an extended period of time before they'd call it.
And the one time he got a call for this, it was called as "hands to the face" instead of a hold.

IMO, 3 guys is not really pass rush, but yeah, outside of the certainty of a #1 CB, and a replacement for DMac, we are deep in the secondary
I think JC proved a lot last week. So unless he goes straight into the ****ter he is the guy and should only get better. Not sure if it's even a question anymore after his play through the first four weeks and the Gilmore trade. I realize the Gilmore trade and JC ascending tot he CB1 are not completely intertwined, but it would be nonsensical to believe there is no correlation between the two, IMO.

There's no way he's the top rusher. He's a great pickup and a bargain, but this is ridiculous.

And he needs to lose those hideous red sleeves.

But I thought Wise was our best defensive player? At least that is what Chris told me last Sunday night. And that was on TV so it must be true!

There's no way he's the top rusher. He's a great pickup and a bargain, but this is ridiculous.

season 4 netflix GIF by Gilmore Girls

I haven't watched the other top pass rushers, but I think you could make an argument for Judon. I mean he is only 1.5 sacks behind Garrett and a half a sack behind Jones, Hunter, and Hargrave. And sacks is not the only measure on a pass rusher. Judon seems to get fairly consistent pressure on opposing QBs. Who knows?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back