PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Aaron Rodgers Argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone really sees Rodgers as the GOAT right now, they just see him as the greatest talent of all time and someone who might one day be number one.

Tom Brady is the GOAT hands down for me but I think Aaron Rodgers has the potential to surpass him. I love Brady but I try to look at it objectively. Aaron Rodgers may be the most talented QB ever. It's tough to see him ever winning 5 super bowls but I think there's more factors than just rings. If he gets to 3-4, I'm not saying he would be above Brady but I think he'd have a serious case.

Just my opinion. End of the day Brady is my all time favorite athlete but I can't deny Rodgers talent.

Aaron Rodgers is not getting to 3-4. He's 33. So highly doubtful.

Why do some people think Gretzky was better than Orr?

Rodgers is the Elway of his era, albeit with less overall playoff success, and with the one SB win earlier in the career. All the proclaimed talent in the world, for whatever various reasons, doesn't quite translate to equivalent postseason glory.

I dunno if this is fair. Elway had a ton of 4th-quarter comebacks. Rodgers, not so much.

Skills are one thing. The fact there is now a Box Set Collection of the NFL's Greatest Games, with about half of them as Tom Brady playing the hero, is quite another. I can guarantee BB would take Brady over Rodgers. How many times has a teammate said a single negative thing about Brady? Never. There is always some kind of weird dark cloud in Green Bay when it comes to talking about Aaron Rodgers and his relationship with the team.
Mike McCarthy would take Brady over Rodgers.

I dunno if this is fair. Elway had a ton of 4th-quarter comebacks. Rodgers, not so much.

Elway also got to two of his Super Bowls because of blatant chokes by the Browns. In the end, both underperformed their proclaimed skill sets in their early years and primes (to date). Elway didn't get his SB wins until he wasn't really Elway anymore.

Something about Rogers game does nothing for me. He has a ton of skill but he is missing something when it comes to game management, can't put my finger on it.

Rogers sits firmly in the second tier of legendary QBs. He is 5 - 8 years away from approaching most statistical records, and Drew Brees will blow those out of the water if he plays another couple of years.
Aaron Rodgers is 33 years old. There's no guarantee he even plays 5 more years.

Something about Rogers game does nothing for me. He has a ton of skill but he is missing something when it comes to game management, can't put my finger on it.
To me it's because he has a history of being impatient. If the defense takes the big play away he doesn't always seem content to dink and dunk down the field like Brady gladly will. Especially in the past few years, the Packers offense has kind of been broken and relied on Rodgers' improvisation to bail them out.

I love Rodgers, other than Brady there's no QB I currently enjoy watching play more. He has the athletic ability to do things no one else can. That throw to Cook to seal the divisional game against Dallas, I don't know if Tom makes that play. That does not mean Rodgers is the better pure passer: in terms of accuracy and hitting small windows, I think Brady has only gotten better and better at that as the years pass.

To me there's 3 knocks on Rodgers. First, Packers beat writers have said numerous times recently that he does not like tough coaching. His former teammates don't always talk so glowingly about him. For all his gifts and intelligence, I doubt he has the same drive or leadership that Tom does. Second, as mentioned above, he seems to only thrive when plays break down and he can make something out of nothing. He hates grinding out drives the way Tom or even Peyton have done over the years. I think McCarthy and his increasingly archaic west coast scheme and shoddy game management is partially to blame for this; I think eventually everyone is gonna realize Mike McCarthy is Andy Reid with a SB ring.

Three, Rodgers is 1-29 in games where the Pack trail 9+ in the second half. He is shockingly bad in comeback situations. Like Peyton, he seems to self-destruct when things don't go his way; but at least Peyton had a ton of comebacks in the regular season. No way in hell Rodgers pulls off something like Brady did last week.

To me, if you need one deep shot to win the game you take him. If you have one game to win, one drive to win, you go with Brady and probably a lot of other great QBs every time.

For those knocking Rodgers in comparison to Brady, I think what underpins their position can be (sort of) summed up by saying this:

Aaron Rodgers sometimes gets so caught up in counting the defense that he forgets to read it.

I noticed the OP is saying that people in his office are saying this, not necessarily pointing to media.

Honestly dude, they're just trying to get a rise out of you. I've had people come up to me and say Fivehead was better, or Flacco is better. Laugh a bit. And ponder aloud how many rings you think Brady might get on his other hand.

But they are certainly regurgitating (sp?) sentiments from the media.

Has anyone repeated that crap since the Super Bowl?

Not as much since the Super Bowl but it's still there and will continue to linger.

Let me put it this way, you have heard this argument mentioned many many times since Brady won his fourth Super Bowl right? Even then he had a 4-1 edge on Rogers.

What makes you think it will stop now that it's 5-1? The Rogers supports for best QB defy logic. As soon as Rogers makes his next unwordly play the talk continues again.

People are just arguing physical talent, not determination, leadership and team mentality.

Brady is the ultimate quarterback because he has every box checked.
th
th
th

The media had more going for them when they anointed Wilt the best, even though he wasn't...being #2 or #3 ain't bad!...

We have to try, every day, to resist succumbing to homerism and just accept the fact that Boston, for whatever reason, has now had the G.O.A.T. in all four major team sports.

Further, the anti-Boston bias/propaganda in the media which does exist against the Sox, Celts and B's is totally dwarfed by that versus the Patriots.

It's as though, all these years, they felt stamping the Pat's faces in the dirt would somehow make up for our superiority in the other three sports. Now, what do they do? Dump on the Revolution? BC? UMass?

It's funny, I just got into this discussion with someone. I told them they obviously haven't followed football long, since Rodgers isn't even the best QB in his franchise's history. Or second-best either. Starr and Favre hold those honours. Your order may vary on who you rank first or second, but both have accomplished more than Rodgers has. That was the end of the discussion.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Rodgers does not belong in the GOAT conversation at all right now. Maybe he wins 2 or 3 more championships before he's done. But for now, it's ridiculous to include him. It's like talking about the GOAT WR and including Odell Beckham. No. One day down the road if he accomplishes a bunch of things, maybe, but totally does not belong in the conversation today.

If you're the 3rd-best QB on your team, you're automatically disqualified from the GOAT discussion. Nobody is pumping up Jeff Garcia. Nobody's claiming Kordell Stewart belongs in the GOAT conversation. And neither does Rodgers at this time.

Rodgers is the Elway of his era, albeit with less overall playoff success, and with the one SB win earlier in the career. All the proclaimed talent in the world, for whatever various reasons, doesn't quite translate to equivalent postseason glory.

that's not a valid comparison. rodgers is Marino with 1 ring with montana efficiency. elway never put up the best stats. statistically rodgers is putting up best numbers almost every year.

IMO rodgers will go down as top 5 all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back