PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2nd Patriots dynasty does not happen without Edelman. > NFL Hall of Fame.

The point is fairly made that he would go in before Julian, but I don't think he has earned it.
Welker had 5 100+ reception seasons in 6 years, and the 6th year was an 88 catch season the year he was coming off of his ACL surgery. He's #22 overall in career receptions, and was first team All-Pro twice. If Welker was an outside WR, he'd be considered a possible first year inductee.

Love the Squirrel, but the only way he should enter the HoF is with a ticket.

Welker had 5 100+ reception seasons in 6 years, and the 6th year was an 88 catch season the year he was coming off of his ACL surgery. He's #22 overall in career receptions, and was first team All-Pro twice. If Welker was an outside WR, he'd be considered a possible first year inductee.
yeah, i was going to come back and edit my post to make it less dogmatic after i looked more closely at his record.

i haven't done the comparables, but i have to be honest and admit that the drop affected my view. unfair? yeah, especially since it was a "tough play" but i can't get Edelman's catch v. ATL out of my mind (arguably an "almost impossible" play).

Is one ring enough to separate the goods from the greats? Maybe if both the 2007 and 2011 teams pull it off, then Welker is viewed as a legitimate HOF candidate. I don't think the 2011 drop alone disqualifies him (and don't forget Aaron Hernandez's drops on that same drive). He was the greatest pure slot receiver to play the game. 200 more catches would have put him in the top 5 for receptions all time. The problem with Welker's case was that his peak was about two years too short.

I think Edelman is a serious "what if" case. What if he were utilized a little more in 2010, or he stayed healthy in 2012, 2017 and 2020, or he didn't get suspended for the start of 2018? Could he have caught 250, 300 more balls?

The HOF is all about stats, and stats are for losers.

Somebody mentioned that WW was a "nobody" before he came to the pats? He went 29/434 his first year ever as a WR (05) with Gus Frerotte throwing him the ball. Then in 06 he went 67/687 with Joey "I went 26 and 50 as a starter" Harrington throwing him the ball.

WW was a very good player before he came here and proved he could be with with a ****tty QB - again proving it when he went 111/1165 with Matt Cassell.

WW has been a borderline HOF player since 2012.

As much as I love Edelman (and I think many non pats fan did as well) he shouldn't be in the HOF. I have put JE however in the "Troy Brown" category of clutch and versatile which is about as high a compliment as I can give him. I think Troy Brown might have been the best overall/versatile football player the pats ever had

Last edited:
I don’t care if Edelman gets into the NFL Hall Of Fame, he’s in the NFL Playoff Hall Of Fame, he’s in the Clutch Hall of Fame. He’s in the Warrior Hall Of Fame. Love Jules, him and Gronk are in my top 5 Pats of Dynasty II.

Brady
Edelman
Gronk
Hightower
McCourty

That’s my Dynasty II top 5, in that order.
That was more like Dynasty IB

Somebody mentioned that WW was a "nobody" before he came to the pats? He went 29/434 his first year ever as a WR (05) with Gus Frerotte throwing him the ball. Then in 06 he went 67/687 with Joey "I went 26 and 50 as a starter" Harrington throwing him the ball.

WW was a very good player before he came here and proved he could be with with a ****tty QB - again proving it when he went 111/1165 with Matt Cassell.

WW has been a borderline HOF player since 2012.

As much as I love Edelman (and I think many non pats fan did as well) he shouldn't be in the HOF, have put JE however in the "Troy Brown" category of clutch and versatile which is about as high a compliment as I can give him. I think Troy Brown might have been the best overall/versatile football player the pats ever had
Troy is still my favorite Pats player. The only negative that I can think of about him is that the Pats lost the Jets game at home when the Pats honored him.

WW was definitely a known factor to the Pats when they went after him. I think that's why they sweetened the pot for Miami by adding a 7th pick to the 2nd round tender and turned it into a trade.

Welker > Edelman

So talk to me about Edelman getting into the HOF after Welker gets in. Until then, there's nothing to discuss.
If I was given a choice, knowing what I know now, I'd take JE over WW.

I couldn't care less about the HOF.

The HOF isn't just about stats. It's a part of the equation for sure but it's never as simple as "Player x didn't get in and he's better so no"
For some reason this reminds me of something I encountered when I joined a new employer in the late 80's. They had a clause pertaining to promotions that stated "the senior, most qualified person" would get the promotion.

Giving it to the senior employee was no problem, and if the company wanted to give it to the junior person all they had to do was say that person was more qualified.

If you thought you were more qualified even though you were junior you had to fight them, or at least show that you were willing to fight.

Anyway, back to football.

He was so much better than his numbers. A great great football player that I would take on my team over most anyone- including many hall of famers.

It’s not his fault but he was also on that 2013 Broncos team that lost the Super Bowl and a coach in the 49ers team that lost last year. I think he’s cursed. He might be the only non Buffalo Bill to be involved in 4 super bowl loses without a win.

Edelman is one of my all time favorite Patriot players. There is one play that stands out above all the clutch plays that Edelman made during his career and that one is on my Avatar. No one here has to be reminded but let's think back to the Patriot - Atlanta Super Bowl on February 5th, 2017. Coming back from a 28-3 Halftime deficit was incredible but even more so was coming back to win after Atlanta had a 28 to 9 lead at the beginning of the 4th Quarter. There were so many plays that were crucial in this comeback and without everyone of them going right we probably don't win.

But Edelman's unbelievable catch to keep that drive going is something I'll never forget. I was on the edge of my seat at the time and when the replay confirmed the play was a catch, I yelled hey we still have a chance! Of course there were other players who were clutch in this game including Brady, White, Amendola, Mitchell, Hightower, Flowers among others. I know I'm singling out this one play out of thousands of plays Edelman made during his career but I don't care. Edelman will always be in my Hall of Fame. Whether or not he makes it to Canton is up to others to decide.

It’s not his fault but he was also on that 2013 Broncos team that lost the Super Bowl and a coach in the 49ers team that lost last year. I think he’s cursed. He might be the only non Buffalo Bill to be involved in 4 super bowl loses without a win.

A little of both. He had a huge game in sb42 which gets forgotten because we lost. Probably the mvp of that game if asante makes that pick. And the 2013 loss to Seattle obviously nothing he could do about that. His playoff stats overall are good.

But at the same time the drop in sb46 was horrific. Those are the signature plays champions make and he didn’t get it done. So while he may have had worse luck , he did really blow the one.

i haven't done the comparables, but i have to be honest and admit that the drop affected my view. unfair? yeah, especially since it was a "tough play" but i can't get Edelman's catch v. ATL out of my mind (arguably an "almost impossible" play).

You were correct the first time: It was a tough play because The Receiver turned the Wrong way...If he had turned the Right way, based on the coverage that had opened up the sideline for him, he would've very likely caught the dam ball, perhaps in stride well enough to run close to the 20 yard line before contact...

Edelman is one of my all time favorite Patriot players. There is one play that stands out above all the clutch plays that Edelman made during his career and that one is on my Avatar. No one here has to be reminded but let's think back to the Patriot - Atlanta Super Bowl on February 5th, 2017. Coming back from a 28-3 Halftime deficit was incredible but even more so was coming back to win after Atlanta had a 28 to 9 lead at the beginning of the 4th Quarter. There were so many plays that were crucial in this comeback and without everyone of them going right we probably don't win.

But Edelman's unbelievable catch to keep that drive going is something I'll never forget. I was on the edge of my seat at the time and when the replay confirmed the play was a catch, I yelled hey we still have a chance! Of course there were other players who were clutch in this game including Brady, White, Amendola, Mitchell, Hightower, Flowers among others. I know I'm singling out this one play out of thousands of plays Edelman made during his career but I don't care. Edelman will always be in my Hall of Fame. Whether or not he makes it to Canton is up to others to decide.

I agree...Sorry to pick nits however, but the score at halftime was 21-3; Atlanta scored a TD on their first possession of the 2nd half to make it 28-3.

The NBA calls it “winning time”, but it applies in football too. There is a reason Brown catches the ball for 23 to win SB36. Or Edelman sees the ball on 3rd and 14 with Kam in his grill. Or converts two 3rd and 10’s versus KC. Or gets targeted, triple-covered, at a crucial moment in the game that cements Brady as the greatest ever. Or Gronk gets those 4th down prayers vs Denver, or delivers the catch to win SB53. Their numbers are called because they are winners - the greatest compliment you can give an athlete - not HOFer.

The NBA calls it “winning time”, but it applies in football too. There is a reason Brown catches the ball for 23 to win SB36. Or Edelman sees the ball on 3rd and 14 with Kam in his grill. Or converts two 3rd and 10’s versus KC. Or gets targeted, triple-covered, at a crucial moment in the game that cements Brady as the greatest ever. Or Gronk gets those 4th down prayers vs Denver, or delivers the catch to win SB53. Their numbers are called because they are winners - the greatest compliment you can give an athlete - not HOFer.

What are the unimportant moments during games in the playoffs?

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back