PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

FWIW, Ngata apparently believes that whatever he gained in quickness by slimming down in 2011 wasn't worth what he lost in stamina. He's trying to get back up to the 340-345# range:

NFL Rumors - NFL Trade Rumors, Free Agency Rumors and More - Rumor Central - ESPN

:eek: :eek: :eek:

WHOA.

As a Founding Father of The InterNational BrotherHood of Grizzlies + SuperBeasts, I must say that Brother Haloti's opinion on these matters carries a lot of weight...if you'll pardon the expression!! :D

Hey everyone, Matthew Jones from NEPatriotsDraft here. I just finished up another article, this time on Oklahoma S Tony Jefferson, which you can find on the NEPatriotsDraft homepage.

I also have clips of Oklahoma's defense from the Florida State game up on Youtube for anyone interested in taking a look, which you can find through my website, Draft Examiner.

Hey everyone, Matthew Jones from NEPatriotsDraft here. I just finished up another article, this time on Oklahoma S Tony Jefferson, which you can find on the NEPatriotsDraft homepage.

I also have clips of Oklahoma's defense from the Florida State game up on Youtube for anyone interested in taking a look, which you can find through my website, Draft Examiner.

Can you do a review on Tom Wort? He went to my High School.

James Christenson of NE Patriots' Draft looks at 2011 film from SMU vs. TCU, and likes what he sees of DE Margus Hunt:

#92 DE Margus Hunt
-Lining up at RDE, played a bit of NT as well.
-Stacks the LT, sheds the block and assists on the tackle inside.
-Takes on double team, using his hands well.
-Strong rip move, makes QB step up into help.
-Quick inside move, picked up by double team.
-Tall player, but keeps pad level low.
-Pushes back LT into the pocket, doesn’t let QB step up.
-Absolutely dominating the line whenever he is singled, TCU running away from him.
-Pushed back by a double team, got a little high.
-Falls to ground after big punch, gets up quickly and assists on tackle.
-Recognizes quick pass, pulls up and tries to influence passing lane.
-Good pursuit down the field.
-Fights through double, solid tackle.
-Blowing back the center when playing zone, attacking the gaps.
-Seeing some plays off against the hurry-up.

Overview: Hunt was very effective for the Mustangs, TCU didn’t run it towards his side many times – they were stopped when they did. His size, physicality and motor were all above average. Hunt can be a first round pick if his technique continues to improve.

Scouting the 2013 NFL Draft: TCU vs SMU (2011) | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

It's hard to imagine a 6'8" guy playing NT, but Hunt could be a long-term successor in a Jonathan Fanene kind of role - 3-4 DE, 4-3 LDE, DT on sub packages. Someone to watch carefully, along with guys like Bjoern Werner from Florida St. and William Gholston.

Mocking the Draft profiles Notre Dame TE Tyler Eifert:

Tyler Eifert 2013 NFL Draft scouting notes - Mocking The Draft

Eifert will probably be a 1st round pick. But the real talent is Washington sophomore TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, who won't be eligible until 2014. He's literally another Gronk, and teams will go ape over him.

It's hard to imagine a 6'8" guy playing NT, but Hunt could be a long-term successor in a Jonathan Fanene kind of role - 3-4 DE, 4-3 LDE, DT on sub packages. Someone to watch carefully, along with guys like Bjoern Werner from Florida St. and William Gholston.

Two years ago, BritPat wrote this:

Nate Solder - a 4.80 40 yard dash at 6' 9" and 305lbs?

Sign me up right here right now.

To which I say, based on reading about Mr. Hunt:

Margus Hunt—a 4.60 40 yard dash at 6' 8"?

Sign me up right here right now.

:eek:

Two years ago, BritPat wrote this:

To which I say, based on reading about Mr. Hunt: :eek:

Hunt is certainly intriguing. He's very strange to watch because his torso is so damn long, and you don't expect a guy that big to move like that. He looks kind of awkward right now, but he's new to the game. JJ Watt also looked very awkward at times as he was learning the game and learning how to use his incredible frame.

Hunt to the Pats would certainly give the team about as tall a lineup as there is in the NFL, on both sides of the LOS:

- 6'9" Nate Solder
- 6'8" Sebastian Vollmer
- 6'8" Margus Hunt
- 6'7" Robert Gallery
- 6'6" Rob Gronkowski
- 6'5"+ Chandler Jones

Hunt and Chandler Jones on the same DL would also wreck havoc with the passing lanes. Lot of tipped and altered passes leading to big plays on defense.

I'm not at the "sign me up now" stage, but Hunt is certainly on my short list.

He's already blocked fourteen kicks in three seasons. :eek:

His length and strength is incredible. He is certainly inconsistent at times, but he has rare athletic ability (probably do 35-40 reps even with super long arms) and has only been playing football for about 4 years.

His length and strength is incredible. He is certainly inconsistent at times, but he has rare athletic ability (probably do 35-40 reps even with super long arms) and has only been playing football for about 4 years.

WIth the Pats having invested in Chandler Jones and Jake Bequette this year and with Travis Scott an intriguing option and Andre Carter still a possibility, I'm hoping that 4-3 RDE/OLB will not be a major need for 2013. BUT I'd love to see the Pats invest in the DL, which could use an infusion of youuth and talent at 2 positions:

1. Primary DT, including 3-4 NT, 4-3 DT and NT, and hopefully some ability to move outside to play jumbo 3-4 DE. Wilfork will be 31 and played 86% of the snaps. He would be more effective if paired with another monster inside, and if his snap count were reduced somewhat. There are 4 guys right now who I like for this role:

- Star Lotulelei, Utah. 6'3" 325#. Ngata-like quickness and athleticism.
- Johnathan Hankins*, Ohio St. 6'4" 320#. An athletic wide body. Played NT and DE for the Buckeyes last year.
- John Jenkins, Georgia. 6'3" 340#+. The most like Wilfork - a wide body with surprising agility and athleticism. Commands a double team inside, and agile enough to play end.
- Jesse Williams, Alabama. 6'4" 320# of pure muscle. A former rugby player with great quickness and agility, played 3-4 DE in 2011, moving to NT in 2012.

I'm not yet siold on Kawann Short of Purdue. There are a number of other guys worth watching, but those 4 stand out to me.

2. Primary DE (3-4 DE and 4-3 LDE) with the ability to move inside and ideally some ability to stand up and play in space. Shaun Ellis excelled in this role. JJ Watt is probably the prototype right now. Star Lotulelei and Jesse Williams could probably both play this role to some extent, similar to how Red Bryant is used by Seattle as a 4-3 RDE. But 3 guys stand out as worth watching:

- Magnus Hunt, SMU. 6'8" 290#. An athletic freak. Raw, but tremendous upside.
- Bjoern Warner*, Florida St. 6'4" 280#. A slightly smaller version of JJ Watt.
- William Gholston*, Michigan St. 6'7" 280#. Former LB with great movement skills. There are major motor and other questions, but the talent base is intriguing.

Some of these guys could be off my board by the time the 2013 draft comes around, but those are the guys who's size and skill set stands out to me right now as worth watching. Probably half of these guys will end up going top 20, but ideally at least a couple will get pushed down, and some may go 2nd round.

Charlie Campbell of Walter Football profiles LSU DE Sam Montgomery:

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Sam Montgomery

I know a lot of folks are very high on this kid, but I don't see him fitting the Pats' scheme at this point given his size (6'4" 245#) and frame. Hope he goes high and pushes some guys down to us, though.

Charlie Campbell's preseason All-American list at defensive tackle:

WalterFootball.com: 2012 Preseason All-American Projections: Defensive Tackles

His list (juniors with an *):

1st team: Star Lotulelei, Kawann Short
2nd team: Johnathan Hankins*, Bennie Logan*
34d team: John Jenkins, Jesse Williams

I'd be thrilled if Jenkins and Williams end up being the 5th and 6th ranked DTs in the 2013 draft.

Profile on Florida St. DE Bjoern Werner:

Werner has some of the most natural and devastating power of any defensive linemen in college football. Few players in the country have the upper and lower body force he provides, but it's rare to see such a raw talent use that strength so well.

Werner is able to stay low off the snap and quickly direct his weight and force to the shoulder of his blocker to win leverage battles immediately. He keeps his hands inside and drive to gain initial separation to set up his rush very well. His initial burst, balance in his first rush, and force with his hands through his arms allows him to drive back tackles in pass blocking and force a second blocker in run situations.

He holds the point of attack tremulously well, not over-extending himself in which he'd lose balance or lose inside hand positioning. While he has the closing speed to finish plays on the inside or through in inside gaps to finish tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage, he's developed vision to seek out the design of the play and not get over-anxious to leave his gap responsibility. While he still can leave his gap open or misread the play, his development over the course of last year was impressive.

That devastating power showed up in some of the most important games last year, especially against Oklahoma where he was a consistent force in the run game and in giving Landry Jones headaches. However, Werner is still far from a polished rusher. That's the scary part for opposing teams next season.

NFL Draft Profile: German born Bjoern Werner anchors Florida State's defense | June

Werner seems a bit reminiscent of Justin Smith, who was only 267# when he was drafted out of Missouri in 2001. At 285# Smith throws OLs around like rag dolls. Between Werner, Margus Hunt and William Gholston there are some nice power end prospects for 2013 (Werner and Gholston are both juniors).

Sayre Bedinger of NFL Mocks looks at prospects from various teams. Some of my personal favorites:

- Alabama DL Jesse Williams:

Williams is a very intriguing prospect to me. He comes from Australia and has only been playing football since he was 15 years old, but he has found a real niche on the Alabama defensive line. He is athletic enough to play on the outside and is considered one of the top overall defensive tackle prospects in the entire country. Obviously, Alabama has a ton of talent defensively but Williams was a huge reason why their run defense was the best in the country in 2011, even in the tough SEC. He is a massive space eater with phenomenal strength and power. He is obviously extremely hard to move and because of his athletic ability, he is not entrenched as a nose tackle prospect. He can play either interior spot in a four man front, nose tackle in a three man front, or defensive end in a three man front. Does a solid job of collapsing the pocket but he won’t make his living filling up the stat sheet with sacks. Where he is going to make his money is by clogging gaps and pushing the pocket inward. He has good quickness off the snap and gives good overall effort. Sheds blocks with relative ease, especially on obvious passing downs. He is very hard to move and when he is working uphill, he is nearly impossible to block one on one. Needs to work on perfecting his technique, especially because he is so new to the game. Lucky for him, he is pretty much already coming from an NFL defense at Alabama.

Alabama Crimson Tide Top Prospects for 2013 and Beyond - With the First Pick - NFL Scouting Reports, College Football, and the 2013 NFL Draft

- Georgia DL John Jenkins:

Big, strong defensive tackle prospect who appears to be an ideal nose tackle for the NFL level. Already has experience playing in a 3-4 and already has just as good if not better production than Kansas City Chiefs 2012 first round pick Dontari Poe. Jenkins nearly declared for the 2012 NFL draft but now anchors a Georgia defensive line for the 2012 season, a line that will be among the best in all of college football. He is a massive space eater who has a good bull rush, and can anchor well against the run. Capable of taking on and beating double teams, and gets good pressure on the QB (10 QB hurries in ’11). Had an interception in the Outback Bowl against Michigan State, but came up injured on the play so that is something to monitor going forward. He started his collegiate career at Gulf Coast Community College, and only has one year of SEC football under his belt. He has first round talent if he can put it all together. Players with his size and production don’t often last long on draft day, unless they have serious character flaws.

Georgia Bulldogs Top NFL Draft Prospects for 2013 and Beyond - With the First Pick - NFL Scouting Reports, College Football, and the 2013 NFL Draft

- Alabama OL Barrett Jones:

Jones will be exposed as a senior, as are all returning players with extremely high expectations, but he has been a force and a stalwart on the Alabama offensive line. He has started at left tackle, guard, and is expected to be one of the best centers in the country in 2012. Won the Outland Trophy as a junior, given to the nation’s best interior lineman. On a line full of talent like Alabama’s, that is some recognition. Jones is an incredible leader on and off the field who is a fantastic student as well. Unanimous first team All-American starting at left tackle among other positions in 2011, and has also started two years at right guard. Reliable starter who would be starting for some team in the NFL on opening day 2012 had he decided to leave early for the draft, which he considered. Really a prospect you can’t go wrong with here, a guy who has 10-year starter written all over him at the NFL level, be it at right tackle or on the interior as a guard.

- Florida St. DE Bjoern Werner:

Werner is a German-born, former foreign exchange student who didn’t begin playing football until he was 15 years old, when he immediately fell in love with the game. That love for the game shows up on every single play you see from this guy, and might be his greatest asset. Not only is Werner a hard worker off the field, but he will make you pay for taking a play off on the field. His intensity and passion for the game are nearly unmatched, and on Florida State’s star-studded defense he was named MVP after Spring last season. That hard work translated to the field where he was second on the team with 11 tackles for loss and seven sacks. He emerged as a very good run stuffer but also showed development in his pass rush skills. What’s great about Werner is, he is a dynamic player who is a very good athlete and plays with great speed. He is relentless in pursuit and I think he could emerge as a potential first round pick this year, though many are already talking about him as such. When it’s time to turn on the jets and get to the quarterback, he is tough to miss when you watch FSU games.

Florida State Seminoles Top NFL Draft Prospects for 2013 and Beyond - With the First Pick - NFL Scouting Reports, College Football, and the 2013 NFL Draft

Two sites focus on LSU S Eric Reid. First, Charlie Campbell of Walter Football offers a profile:

Skill-Set Summary: There is a lot for NFL talent evaluators to like about Reid. He is extremely well-rounded as a run defender and in pass defense. Reid has good instincts that allow him to fly around the field and get in position to make plays. He should only be quicker as he gains a better understanding of offenses.

Reid definitely has the size and strength to be the eighth man in the box. He has good power to grab a hold of backs and put them to the ground. Overall, Reid moves well enough to avoid getting washed out of plays. His tackling technique is extremely sound.

Reid covers a good amount of ground in pass defense. He takes good angles to cover up receivers running deep down the field while showing nice athleticism and body control to make plays on the ball.

There are frequent occasions when Reid will lay some wood on receivers. He makes them pay for crossing the middle of the field, and his hitting ability causes incompletions. To make his physicality even more effective, Reid does a superb job of leading with his shoulder rather than his helmet. He makes sure to put the shoulder into the chest of receivers. By not using his head or hitting the opponents head, Reid does a nice job of avoiding penalties. That is definitely a nice asset for the NFL as the professionals police helmet-hitting with vigor.

Reid has plus size and speed. He looks like he has starting ability quickly after entering the NFL.

2013 Draft Expectations: Right now, Reid looks like a first- or second-round pick. If he improves as a junior or senior, he could push his stock well into the top 25. There could be good safety classes in both 2013 and 2014, so Reid will have plenty of competition when he enters the draft. As long as Reid stays consistent with his performance, he should at least be a second-rounder.

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Eric Reid

Second, Matthew Jones of NE Patriots' Draft suggests that Reid could be a "trade up option" for the Pats in 2013:

Reid is expected to strongly consider foregoing his senior season in order to enter the 2013 NFL Draft, where he is projected to compete with Southern California safety T.J. McDonald for the top safety spot. McDonald is the more athletic of the two prospects but Reid’s physical tools, his aggressive play, his well-rounded skillset, and his SEC pedigree will likely earn him a spot high in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft if he performs up to expectations as a junior this season.

Reid’s long arms and physicality should allow him to press wide receivers effectively at the line of scrimmage in the pros, although at LSU he was often lined up deep in the secondary playing single-high coverage. Like Barron last year, Reid is not expected to post a blazing time in the 40-yard dash – a time between 4.55 and 4.6 seconds seems reasonable – but his instincts allow him to make plays on the ball.

Reid is also a quality run defender. Because of his size, he is a forceful hitter who explodes into ballcarriers and can separate runners from the ball (see the fumble he forced against Alabama RB Trent Richardson in the first quarter of their regular-season matchup.) Reid’s tackling technique is sound; he possesses fundamental tackling skills although he does go for the knockout blow at times.

Reid is aggressive in pursuit of the ball; his instincts allow him to locate the ballcarrier quickly and despite his lack of elite top-end speed, he closes on the ball in a hurry. The Tigers have utilized Reid as an in-the-box defender with some regularity, which is a role he will likely be asked to perform consistently in the NFL due to his size; some teams may evaluate Reid as a strong safety prospect rather than a free safety if they are concerned about his lack of timed speed.

Reid’s diverse skill-set allows him to function as a single-high safety in deep zone coverage, as an in-the-box run defender, and in man coverage on tight ends or inside wide receivers; safety is now a premium position in the NFL as teams are looking for well-rounded players who can defend the influx of young, athletic tight ends, and Reid’s skillset will appeal to every team in the league.

New England could very well be interested in adding a top safety such as Eric Reid even after signing Steve Gregory to a three-year deal in free agency and drafting Tavon Wilson in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft, but the Patriots may be forced to trade ahead of a handful of other teams in order to secure Reid’s services.

Eric Reid: LSU Safety a Trade-Up Option for the Patriots in 2013 | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

I think it's way too early to think about trade ups in the 1st round of the 2013 draft, especially given the team's current paucity of draft picks. And I personally see DL and OL has higher priorities than safety, though that could change by the time the draft rolls around. But there's little doubt that Reid will be a player of interest if he declares.

NFL.com's Chad Reuter lists his top draft eligible DE and DT prospects for 2013:

Texas' Jackson Jeffcoat headlines top college defensive ends - NFL.com
Johnathan Hankins, Star Lotulelei head college defensive tackles - NFL.com

Some interesting names and rankings. One of the most interesting is UCLA DE Datone Jones, who Reuter ranks just behind Margus Hunt and Bjoern Werner (William Gholston doesn't make Reuter's list). At 6'5" 280# Jones has nice size. UCLA played a 4-3 front but is moving to a 3-4 this year, so Jones will have experience in both schemes, and has played inside and out. Reuter notes:

This enormous lineman lacks great production and missed 2010 due to injury, but he stuns opposing offensive linemen with his length and pure power. Also, he showcases enough agility and hustle to play inside or outside in the right NFL system.

Charlie Campbell's pre-season All-American safety list:

WalterFootball.com: 2012 Preseason All-American Projections: Safeties

Eric Reid and TJ McDonald are 1A and 1B in my book, both with great size, versatility and instincts. But it's a good year for safeties with Kenny Vaccaro and likely Tony Jefferson. And Tyrann Matthieu could be a good FS/nickel CB kind of hybrid. There are also several big CBs who could be CB/FS hybrids.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back