PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 Prospect Thread

Its no fun having a monolog. Hopefully some other guys will jump on board at some point.

Think of it as a monologue in front of an audience. I enjoy reading your posts and all the analysis, and I suspect others do too. I just don't have anything useful to contribute with, so I turn into a lurker.

I wonder if he'd be better off at TE.

I'm thinking right now that he could be a big nickel DB that you line up to cover tight ends.

NE Patriots' Draft looks at senior prospects from the Pac-12:

2013 NFL Draft: Top Senior Prospects in the Pac-12 | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

Some guys of note:

Star Lotulelei, DT – Star is the best defensive prospect in the PAC-12 and might be the best defensive prospect in the entire 2013 NFL draft. Lotulelei is enormous and moves like a linebacker. His combination of size, strength and quickness can’t be handled by a single blocker at the college level and requires a constant double team. Star plays with very good leverage and simply over powers linemen off the snap. While Star isn’t Ndamukong Suh, he is the closest thing I have seen to Haloti Ngata since.. Haloti Ngata. I would be very surprised if he isn’t picked in the top 6-7 next April.

Dion Jordan, DE – The 2013 draft figures to be as deep as ever with pass rushing prospects and the best to come out of the Pac-12 will likely be Jordan. A converted tight end, Jordan has only played the position for two seasons and showed amazing improvement in his second year recording 7.5 sacks. At 6’6″ 246 lbs. he has a tall, lean and athletic frame ,but what makes him special is his fluidity and ability to run at his size. Jordan likes to use a dip and rip move right now, as he develops a more refined pass rush aresenal he will become even tougher to block. Jordan is so athletic that Oregon even lined him up in the slot to jam WRs at times. If Jordan can add some strength to his frame and learn to recognize plays a little quicker he could be a first round pick in April.

Some nice comments on Datone Jones, TJ McDonald, Khaled Holmes, Shayne Skov, and others.

I'm thinking right now that he could be a big nickel DB that you line up to cover tight ends.

possible match up to the new breed of super TEs?

A 6'7 DB!?:eek:

Interesting:rocker:

I wouldn't put it past him. Jon Dove (who formerly wrote for NFL Mocks) had this to say about Jordan recently:

Oregon’s Dion Jordan is an electrifying athlete who plays with a high motor. He uses his quickness and suddenness to generate pressure on the quarterback. He’s one of the most explosive pass-rushers in this draft class, and excels at attacking the edge.

Jordan has ultra-quick hands that he uses to keep clean as he rushes the passer. Offensive linemen have a hard time keeping him engaged because of those hands and his quickness. He isn’t just an athlete, as he shows a great feel for the game. The sky is the limit for this prospect.

One of the most interesting things about Jordan is the way Oregon uses him in coverage. At times, you will see him lined up on the outside in press coverage. The idea is to have Jordan disrupt the timing of the route then drop off into the flat. This just shows what type of athlete he is and the versatility of his game.

His tall and lanky build limits his potential as a defensive end prospect. There’s little doubt that he’ll be selected by a team looking for a pass-rushing linebacker.

This is only a starting point for Jordan, as he has the most potential as anyone in this draft class.

Updated 2013 NFL Draft Big Board for Top 25 Prospects | Bleacher Report

I agree with Dove's evaluation. I don't see Jordan as a full time DE, unless he bulks up considerably. That limits him in some ways, and hopefully will drop his stock a bit. But he is a unique prospect who could be used very creatively. After Star Lotulelei and Barkevious Mingo, both of whom will go top 15, Jordan is in a small group along with guys like Jesse Williams, Margus Hunt and possibly Devin Taylor who I think are among the most interesting guys in for 2013, all with tremendous upside.

Jone Dove on Oklahoma S Tony Jefferson:

Oklahoma’s Tony Jefferson is an excellent athlete who reminds me a lot of Seattle Seahawks’ safety Earl Thomas. It’s his ability to lineup in man coverage that most resembles Thomas’ game. Most safeties have a hard time finding success when in man coverage. However, Jefferson has the quickness and fluidity to hold his own.

The Sooners use Jefferson a lot in deep coverage. His quick-twitch ability gives him the range needed to cover a lot of ground. Jefferson also does a good job reading the quarterback and deciphering information.

He’s an aggressive run defender who looks to deliver bit hits. Jefferson needs to become more disciplined in his run defense, as he has a tendency to take some poor angles. However, his effort and athleticism mean he has tremendous upside.

Updated 2013 NFL Draft Big Board for Top 25 Prospects | Bleacher Report

I like the Earl Thomas comparison - Thomas was a guy I had hoped would slip to the Pats at #22 in 2010. Along with Tyrann Mathieu, he's one of the more intriguing CB/S hybrids for 2013 (or 2014, though I suspect both guys will declare after this year).

Walter Football's Charlie Campbell on Johnathan Hankins:

Skill-Set Summary: There is a lot to like about Hankins. First, he is an excellent run defender who offensive linemen really struggle to move him off the line of scrimmage. Hankins holds his ground at the point of attack and there are many runs that he blows up in the backfield by firing through the offensive line. The junior is is also good in pursuit and shows a burst to close ground in order to get in on tackles.

The heavy defensive tackle isn't just a big-bodied run stuffer. Hankins has serious quickness that he uses to fire into his gap and disrupt plays. His quickness catches many offensive linemen by surprise.

Even though Hankins only had three sacks last year, he was a better pass-rusher than the numbers indicate. Hankins got good penetration into the pocket to hurry quarterbacks and take away space for them to step up in the pocket. This writer wouldn't be at all surprised if his sack total doubled as a junior.

One extremely impressive trait for Hankins is his pad level. He is consistently showing good knee bend and staying low. Many linemen with his size have a tendency to stand straight up, but the Buckeye has the rare ability to stay low while crashing his gap.

NFL coaches are going to love Hankins' versatility. He has played all over the defensive line. Hankins has lined up as a three-technique, on the outside shoulder of the guard; a two-gap defensive tackle technique; a defensive end; and the zero-technique - as a nose tackle above the center. Thus, he could fit as in a 4-3 as a defensive tackle, or in a 3-4 defense as a nose tackle or defensive end.

2013 Draft Expectations: Right now, Hankins looks like a future first-round pick. He has a rare combination of size, speed and strength. There is always a demand for defensive linemen, and his schematic versatility will help him to appeal to a larger amount of teams. If Hankins improves, he could go early in the first round.

WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Johnathon Hankins

A 6'7 DB!?:eek:

Interesting:rocker:

Jordan - nicknamed the "Preying Mantis" - was originally recruited to Oregon as a 6'7" 215# WR. He was then switched to TE, and then to DE in 2010, so he only has 2 years of experience at the position. His role for the Ducks is as the "drop end", who alternates between rushing and pass coverage:

The demands of the position are as varied as they are vital. Jordan could rush the quarterback on one play and cover a slot receiver the next. It wouldn’t be a stretch to say the drop-end is the most integral position of the UO defense, based on the way that position is employed in Nick Aliotti’s blitz-heavy scheme.

The only thing Jordan might enjoy more than sacking the quarterback is trying to confuse him. Either way, the goal is to leave the quarterback spinning.

What you’re trying to do with guys like Dion and all the great pass rushers, you try to put a question into the quarterback’s mind: Is he rushing the quarterback? Is he dropping into coverage?” UO defensive line coach Jerry Azzinaro said. “And is he a ‘negative’ in coverage? Fortunately for Dion, he’s not a ‘negative’ in coverage.

http://www.registerguard.com/web/sports/27963121-41/jordan-dion-ducks-oregon-spring.html.csp/

I just watched some film on him, I'm intrigued.

Jordan's movement skills are really impressive for a guy with his length. He could be a terrific small forward. Jordan (6'7" 245#), Devin Taylor (6'7" 260#), and Margus Hunt (6'8" 295#) are three of the most intriguing DE prospects I've seen in a while. All freakishly long and athletic, with very different skill sets.

Jordan's movement skills are really impressive for a guy with his length. He could be a terrific small forward. Jordan (6'7" 245#), Devin Taylor (6'7" 260#), and Margus Hunt (6'8" 295#) are three of the most intriguing DE prospects I've seen in a while. All freakishly long and athletic, with very different skill sets.

It'd be interesting to add another big size, big athlete defensive player to the line. There's a large selection of those kind of players going to be available this coming draft. Teams are going to be pinching themselves at the selections available.

Sleeper Grizzly alert for OTG! Former Tennessee DT Montori Hughes, dismissed last year for apparently violating team rules, is now playing for UT-Martin:

Hughes is a big, physical defensive lineman who could make a quick rise up draft boards in the same fashion Memphis product Dontari Poe did last spring. Hughes is huge: 6-foot-4 and around 330 pounds. He can also be compared to Kenrick Ellis, in that Hughes was in the epicenter of college football, the SEC, but dismissed from the Tennessee roster last year. Like Ellis, Hughes can remain on draft scouts’ radar with strong play in the FCS and pre-draft workouts. Unlike Ellis did, Hughes must focus on avoiding off-field issues to reach his potential. And that potential is sky-high.

2013 NFL Draft Preview with Kyle Kensing - NFL Mocks - 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Fantasy Football, NFL News, and NFL Mock Draft Databases

Given all of the depth at DT, guys with a lot of upside like Hughes and Texas (formerly Alabama) DT Brandon Moore could be available later on.

Sleeper Grizzly alert for OTG! Former Tennessee DT Montori Hughes, dismissed last year for apparently violating team rules, is now playing for UT-Martin:

2013 NFL Draft Preview with Kyle Kensing - NFL Mocks - 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Fantasy Football, NFL News, and NFL Mock Draft Databases

Given all of the depth at DT, guys with a lot of upside like Hughes and Texas (formerly Alabama) DT Brandon Moore could be available later on.

Phenomenal Find, Brother Mayo!! :rocker:

It is amazing how many potential SuperBeasts are lumbering in out'f the woods, this year. :eek:

It's almost as if they can somehow sense the coming Ascension of the Amorphous "245" D...and what might prove to be an insatiable demand for SuperBeasts to anchor those lines!! :D

Phenomenal Find, Brother Mayo!! :rocker:

It is amazing how many potential SuperBeasts are lumbering in out'f the woods, this year. :eek:

It's almost as if they can somehow sense the coming Ascension of the Amorphous "245" D...and what might prove to be an insatiable demand for SuperBeasts to anchor those lines!! :D

With all the talent at DT for 2013, guys like Holland or Moore could end up being day 3 picks, where they would be great value to double up at the DT position and possibly worth taking a chance on character issues. Add in Glenville St. OL Mark Jackson (a former Illini) and there are some nice sleeper Grizzlies lurking for 2013.

With all the talent at DT for 2013, guys like Holland or Moore could end up being day 3 picks, where they would be great value to double up at the DT position and possibly worth taking a chance on character issues. Add in Glenville St. OL Mark Jackson (a former Illini) and there are some nice sleeper Grizzlies lurking for 2013.

Mayo, with how things have turned out in camp so far what would be your 2013 Dream Draft?

Mayo, with how things have turned out in camp so far what would be your 2013 Dream Draft?

It's always hard to predict what will actually happen. If over the past 3 years I'd said "I want Aaron Hernandez in the 4th round", "I want Marcus Cannon in the 5th round", and "I want Alfonzo Dennard in the 7th round" no one would take it seriously. It's hard to project players. But in general the DL is my top priority for 2013, with OL second priority, and secondary third. I don't tend to prioritize WR as much as many others, and think that the Pats can find guys on day 3 or in FA.

Right now my semi-realistic dream-draft would look something like:

Days 1-2:

- DL Jesse Williams, Alabama (1st or 2nd round). 6'4" 320# of muscle with excellent movement skills, can play DT or DE. A beast with tremendous upside. Star Lotulelei would be my fantasy binky, but I'm assuming he'll be out of reach.
- DE Margus Hunt, SMU (1st or 2nd round, depending on how he and Williams sort out). 6'8" 295# beast with Olympic class strength and 4.7 speed. Raw, and is 26 years old, which may cause him to slip a bit, but huge upside.
- Either a DB or a DB/LB hybrid. Dion Jordan would be my guy, though I have trouble seeing him slip to the 3rd round as things currently stand.

Day 3:

- An interior OL. Probably not before the 3rd round right now, because I like the defensive studs in this draft too much. I like Arkansas OC Travis Swanson and Glenville OT/OG Mark Jackson, among others. I'm still pissed that we didn't snag Senio Kelemete in the last draft.
- A developmental WR. Someone to back up Brandon Lloyd in a stretch the field kind of role. Aaron Dobson of Marshall or Ryan Swope of Texas A&M would be interesting in they slipped.
- Possible depth at DT. Guys like Montori Holland and Brandon Moore would be interesting, though either could make a huge leap up draft boards between now and the 2013 draft.

If the Pats could somehow find a way to get Jesse Williams, Margus Hunt and Dion Jordan, I'd be doing cartwheels.

BTW, my top priority for 2014 is pretty clear: current UWashington sophomore TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins. 6'6" 258#, also plays power forward on the basketball team. He's Gronk II. And imagine what this offense could do with TWO guys like Gronk plus Hernandez. I'd trade my family to move up and get him.

Right now my semi-realistic dream-draft would look something like:

Days 1-2:

- DL Jesse Williams, Alabama (1st or 2nd round). 6'4" 320# of muscle with excellent movement skills, can play DT or DE. A beast with tremendous upside. Star Lotulelei would be my fantasy binky, but I'm assuming he'll be out of reach.
- DE Margus Hunt, SMU (1st or 2nd round, depending on how he and Williams sort out). 6'8" 295# beast with Olympic class strength and 4.7 speed. Raw, and is 26 years old, which may cause him to slip a bit, but huge upside.
- Either a DB or a DB/LB hybrid. Dion Jordan would be my guy, though I have trouble seeing him slip to the 3rd round as things currently stand.

Williams is going to be a beast this year, but he got his hand handed to him in Spring drills by Barrett Jones. Jones is the true Alabama beast this year. He can play OG or OT and fits every thing BB requires in an OL guy.

Williams is going to be a beast this year, but he got his hand handed to him in Spring drills by Barrett Jones. Jones is the true Alabama beast this year. He can play OG or OT and fits every thing BB requires in an OL guy.

There's no doubt Jones is a beast and a perfect fit for the Pats at OL. He's been my top rated lineman for 2013 for the Pats for a while. I just preferred to go with rebuilding the DL. Williams has just switched to NT and is still raw, so I'm not surprised an experienced guy like Jones handled him, up I think the kid's upside is through the roof.

LOL.
Apparently Urban Meyer has banned Ohio State DE John Simon from the weight room bc he has too working out too much. :eek::D

Urban then went on to say that Simon has been bringing Noah Spence, Curtis Grant, and Ryan Shazier to the weight room at 6am everyday.
Those are true freshmen and a sophomore players on the Ohio State roster.

Shazier, in 2 years, will be a top 5 pick in the NFL. Dude is a beast 43 will LB/ 34 Wilb. He was awesome in his first start vs Michigan. Even though he tore his mcl, he came back in the game hobbling but still making players.
Noah is a 5 star DE.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back