PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That illegal pick play though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't as bad as initially thought. What do you guys think?
Initial contact is clean, then he holds, then he illegally contacts Gronk, holds again, and the second hold looks to be with the ball in the air. Without the three illegal acts Gronk likely has substantial separation and picks up 5 or more additional yards.

The infractions were benign, but the Patriots were flagged multiple times for similar acts. It should cut both ways.

As a fan I'd rather they don't call this.

Wow what a blatant pick play. Looked like a NBA style clear PICK and roll

EEl4y6D.gif
First contact at 3yds past los. No flag lol.

They call the bs on dorsett but not that. We overcame a lot of home cooking
Totally agree, but to read everything about the game, that roughing call on Brady and the Edelman-touched-the-punt reversal (which mattered not a whit as they got an INT 2 plays later and scored a TD shortly thereafter) were the reason the Chiefs lost the game. That, and the refs calling their guy lined up in the neutral zone for a penalty instead of running out there and directing him to the correct spot. Sheesh.

BTW, not to take the light off of the roughing call but, since we've hit that one quite a bit:

The refs were mighty slow to set up on that play where Brady and the offense broke to the sidelines, and they were mighty generous in taking a long time to get the right time on the clock when the Chiefs were gassed a couple of times. I haven't seen any national coverage of that, though.

Pick play:
0Nq0drp.gif

Headshot on Edelman:
ZeyjHJz.gif

Holding on Jackson:
Dbafyxt.gif

Pass interference on Jackson:
IzMXUNH.gif

No call on Berry grabbing Gronkowski:
xq5b8ca.gif

If there are any requests let me know and I will gif the play.

Could you post Kelce’s two armed push off of JC Jackson on KC’s first TD? How many times have we seen Gronkowski get called for this?

Had the game been officated straightup, it would have been a blowout. They knew that so let KC get away with a ton.

This isn’t how sports should be.

Haven't seen it mentioned much but am I the only one that thought they didn't have enough evidence to overturn the Hogan catch?

They didn’t.

Thanks for pointing this out. Seems like there's little press about the fact that Reid is whining that the refs enforced a black and white rule instead of giving his team a warning. It's funny as Romo also alluded to the fact that the Chiefs' secondary holds on every snap.

Apparently the Chiefs were supposed to be allowed to flagrantly break the the rules. Then get a warning if the refs were thinking of actually enforcing the rules. Finally they can assess the penalty, but this is likely dependent on the infraction affecting the play and it not being a big moment in the game..

What you are seeing is true arrogance. They truly believed they were supposed to go to Atlanta. They have after all the GOAT at QB and all.

Wasn't as bad as initially thought. What do you guys think?
There were most certainly worse examples of DPI that occurred against Gronk. I remember one that happened on the other side of the field (sideline), where the guy had Gronk’s arm brace totally locked up.

Boy, rehashing all of these penalties and potential penalty situations sure makes me hope that we don’t have to go through that next Sunday.

There was a lot of controversial stuff going on in the KC game that could last us two full seasons.

Considering all the *****ing and moaning about the RTP call and the refs "giving" the Patriots the game, perhaps we should put together a list of the calls/non calls that went the Chiefs way, and why the calls in NE's favor were correct, or at least technically correct (example RTP call, 2nd down etc) in case any of us want to throw it in someone's face... just a thought.

First contact at 3yds past los. No flag lol.
Why the "lol"? Under current rules you can contact receivers within 5 yards of the LOS, so there shouldn't be a flag for contact 3 yards downfield. (Though you can never hold.) Personally, I'd like to see the legal chuck zone extended to 10 yards.

Why the "lol"? Under current rules you can contact receivers within 5 yards of the LOS, so there shouldn't be a flag for contact 3 yards downfield. (Though you can never hold.) Personally, I'd like to see the legal chuck zone extended to 10 yards.
You're right, my post was a little unclear. The contact did continue (I thought past 5) and I am not the only one that thought flag warranted.

You're right, my post was a little unclear. The contact did continue (I thought past 5) and I am not the only one that thought flag warranted.

The DB did attempt to hold Gronk, but it just barely impeded him. It's still technically a penalty, but part of the reason Gronk doesn't get the benefit of the doubt is because the type of contact that stops other players dead or knocks them off their route doesn't have the same visual effect on Gronk. It's the only real downside to his size and power.

There were more than enough bad calls on both teams for any fan on either side to have a legit reason to *****, not that it's ever stopped anyone before...
Exactly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye