PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TEs in this draft???

The best deep seam route runner at tight end in this draft is Fant. However, I’m not a fan of his release or his intermediate route running.

It is sternburger, the second best deep seam route runner in this draft that excites me. He also has a horizontal and intermediate game that makes him perfect for our offense. Add in that he has did this last season in the sec.
last year he averaged 17 yards a catch against Alabama with a touchdown. This is a guy that has the exact skill set we need in our offense.

I hope Sternberger is available at 56

Drew Sample is my Allen replacement. Haven’t seen Wesco. I like Sample as a solid player who’s not going to let you down. May never be a top TE but in time could give you decent production that you could depend upon.

And I’m with you on Warring’s upside. Just a little concerned about his floor.

I need to do more work on Sample. I guess you could say the film I've seen is only a small Sample size. o_O (I'm so sorry. That was a terrible pun.)

Wesco first caught my attention due to his versatility. He can play inline, fullback, move, and so on -- he is a solid blocker and has more size (270 or so) than a lot of the other TEs in this draft. He's not the fastest or most agile, but he's a reliable dump off option who can often surprise a defender by making a move to pick up a couple extra yards. He's not a star player; he may not even become a starter in most systems, but for the Patriots I think he compares quite favorably with Develin or Allen:

James Develin

39 BP

Dwayne Allen

27 BP

Trevon Wesco

A quick intro if you're unfamiliar. I was glad to see others view him in a similar fashion:

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room No.196: TE Trevon Wesco (West Virginia), Underrated

Fullback reps at Senior Bowl:

Pretty nice change of direction in this rep for a big guy:

I need to do more work on Sample. I guess you could say the film I've seen is only a small Sample size. o_O (I'm so sorry. That was a terrible pun.)

Wesco first caught my attention due to his versatility. He can play inline, fullback, move, and so on -- he is a solid blocker and has more size (270 or so) than a lot of the other TEs in this draft. He's not the fastest or most agile, but he's a reliable dump off option who can often surprise a defender by making a move to pick up a couple extra yards. He's not a star player; he may not even become a starter in most systems, but for the Patriots I think he compares quite favorably with Develin or Allen:

James Develin

39 BP

Dwayne Allen

27 BP

Trevon Wesco

A quick intro if you're unfamiliar. I was glad to see others view him in a similar fashion:

Matt Waldman’s RSP Boiler Room No.196: TE Trevon Wesco (West Virginia), Underrated

The only problem I see is that bb did not draft Allen or develin.

James Develin

39 BP

Dwayne Allen

27 BP

Trevon Wesco

I saw that first tweet almost straight after my reply. V impressive blocking. I do think there’s an opportunity to double dip here. Fant/Smith/ Sternberger early and Sample/Wesco later. Of course, if they think Gronk is coming back this year, there is a case for just going with Warring/Sample/Wesco later in the draft.

...Of course, if they think Gronk is coming back this year, there is a case for just going with Warring/Sample/Wesco later in the draft.
So much for that.

Unless one of the top 6 DEs falls to us at 32, then Irv Smith is looking better and better there.

I know you would be, but what choices are we likely to have there? Would you take Jeff Simmons or Jaylon Ferguson instead of Smith?

I'd probably take Big Dex and Tillery ahead of Smith. I'd be happier getting Smith after a trade back so that we can at least pick up another asset further enabling us to move around the board. But, there's no denying that short of a Jared Cook signing or a trade out of left field, TE has become our biggest need by far.

But, I wonder whether that need could be addressed by a Sternberger, Knox, Warring, Sample later in the draft (or a combination of those) rather than taking Smith at 32. Remember, he's 6'2". That's not ideal for a TE1.

I'd probably take Big Dex and Tillery ahead of Smith. I'd be happier getting Smith after a trade back so that we can at least pick up another asset further enabling us to move around the board. But, there's no denying that short of a Jared Cook signing or a trade out of left field, TE has become our biggest need by far.

But, I wonder whether that need could be addressed by a Sternberger, Knox, Warring, Sample later in the draft (or a combination of those) rather than taking Smith at 32. Remember, he's 6'2". That's not ideal for a TE1.
Tillery? I don't see the fit here, at all...and Jared Cook signed with NO unfortunately.

Edit: doing more research into Tillery...very, Very impressive athlete, but will he be able to consistently drop his pads & square-up vs C/G blocking inside, and to consistently not be a knucklehead?

Last edited:
Tillery? I don't see the fit here, at all...and Jared Cook signed with NO unfortunately.

He hasn't officially signed yet but whether his agent will re-open negotiations with us is another matter.

What is Hockenson's likely range within the first round, and what will it now take - especially based on previous trade-ups during previous first rounds - to assure his selection?

What is Hockenson's likely range within the first round, and what will it now take - especially based on previous trade-ups during previous first rounds - to assure his selection?

It's really hard to say. TEs are a position teams are willing to reach on and to me he is clearly the best option on the board. Personally I would give up on getting him. In part because IMO he isn't worth the trade up it would take. If you felt you were getting a potentially Kittle, Kelce or Ertz then absolutely. But Hockenson IMO just isn't that type of player and he never will be. He is gone by pick 20 because someone will like what he does enough and reach cause of lack of top TE and WR options.

I don't like Smith at 32. He's too small to be a true two way tight end which is what you want in the 1st round ideally. And he isn't as athletic as you would hope for. I look at him as more of a second round prospect. If he's not going to block effectively, he is essentially a big receiver.

I'd consider him at 56, otherwise I'd focus on Sternberger in the late second, or Caleb Wilson/Josh Oliver in the 3rd.

Edit: I should clarify that while I've seen Smith line up inline and block, I'm just not convinced how effective he will be at it in the pros. 6'2' 240 just seems awfully small in the NFL for a first round TE. He does seem to play faster than his timed speed though and he has nice hands. I do think I'd consider him at say 50 with a trade down.

Last edited:
too much to even think about it.

I don't like Smith at 32. He's too small to be a true two way tight end which is what you want in the 1st round ideally. And he isn't as athletic as you would hope for. I look at him as more of a second round prospect. If he's not going to block effectively, he is essentially a big receiver.

I'd consider him at 56, otherwise I'd focus on Sternberger in the late second, or Caleb Wilson/Josh Oliver in the 3rd.

Sternberger at 56 would be incredible because I think he is a fringe 1st round talent.

The member, lowfbig, on another Pats' fan forum has made a chart with past Pats' TEs and prospects from the upcoming draft.

TEs
View attachment 22855

Horizontal colors:
Blue = Patriots players they have, had, worked with in some capacity(practice squad etc), tried to get their hands on.
Pink = Some of the more well known names in this 2019 draft

Vertical colors:
Red = red flag testing score for that drill - below average, below where you ideally would like
Orange = average testing score for that drill
Yellow = above average testing score for that drill
Green = Elite testing range score for that drill

Woulda been better if he'd put Gronk on the list... :D:D:D:D

Also, would have liked to see Watson, Graham, and Murderer for comparative purposes.

The only problem I see is that bb did not draft Allen or develin.

Develin wasn't drafted at all.. So is there really a point there?

BB added him in the off-season of 2012 when the Pats had a need at Fullback.
Considering that the Pats are the only team that Develin has taken a game snap with, I think it's fair to include him in the discussion.

I saw that first tweet almost straight after my reply. V impressive blocking. I do think there’s an opportunity to double dip here. Fant/Smith/ Sternberger early and Sample/Wesco later. Of course, if they think Gronk is coming back this year, there is a case for just going with Warring/Sample/Wesco later in the draft.

If Gronk had been returning, you pick his replacement and then worry about the depth next year..

It is interesting that DraftBible/NFLDraftScout have Warring as a 6th round pick..

They also rate Wesco as a better blocker than Sample, though they rate Sample very highly. I look at it as them comparing Gronk's blocking to Allen's blocking..

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back