SOURCE:WEEI

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Bengals
Sun
Dec 15th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Another Tough One
The Patriots fought until the end but just came up short during a frustrating loss to the Chiefs on Sunday.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

TEs in this draft???

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by DaBruinz, Feb 28, 2019.

1. sircole

sircole On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +453
    The member, lowfbig, on another Pats' fan forum has made a chart with past Pats' TEs and prospects from the upcoming draft.

TEs
    Tight_Ends.jpg

Horizontal colors:
    Blue = Patriots players they have, had, worked with in some capacity(practice squad etc), tried to get their hands on.
    Pink = Some of the more well known names in this 2019 draft

Vertical colors:
    Red = red flag testing score for that drill - below average, below where you ideally would like
    Orange = average testing score for that drill
    Yellow = above average testing score for that drill
    Green = Elite testing range score for that drill

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  2. miloofcroton

miloofcroton On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +413
    I never said either of these guys are bad. I questioned the first round value of Hockenson, who isn't an extraordinary athlete. No, you don't need to be an extraordinary athlete to be a good receiver, but it's often the difference between 'pretty good' and 'great', and 'pretty good' is not necessarily a good value in the 1st. I did change my tune when I noticed how polished his routes were, but I still have a bit of reservation, just out of the desire to get BPA and not knowing if that would be him.

>For all the talk about range I can't remember him being beat deep.

In all my watching, he mostly played in the slot or in the box. Not many chances to get beat deep.

>I want him closer to the los but the range talk makes little sense considering whats hes put on tape & likely destination at the next level

I don't see run defense as his strong suit. Yes, again, very solid, but I don't see the ability to break blocks or the aggressiveness of a guy like Abram. Rapp is better than Abram in coverage, but Abram is a true run stopping safety if that's what you want.

BTW, back to the topic of TEs... I love what I see from Dawson Knox. Knox and Moreau are the guys I most like that are outside of the first couple rounds.

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  3. manxman2601

manxman2601 Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +26,722
    The only part of Hockenson’s combine that wasn’t top notch was his forty. Everything else was very good. It was a better combine than, say, Zach Ertz for example. Or Rob Gronkowski although Gronkowski was 2/100 faster in the forty.

• Useful Useful x 2
  4. miloofcroton

miloofcroton On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +413
    When I say athlete, I don't mean it in the way that I think you mean it.

I mean: what is a standout trait that he has to beat a defense? Is he super tall or long? No. Is he super fast? No. Is he super strong? No. It's all about having *something* and then exploiting it over and over again. Being a technician and smart player is great, but it helps to have some other kind of advantage.

I think Zach Ertz kind of grew into what he is in the NFL, but I now think of him as sort of a Mike Evans that can play TE because he makes all the contested catches. You can isolate him on a CB. That is where Hockenson projects too, but you have to realize that isn't really on his tape. That's not how Iowa uses their TEs. And yes, I think Hockenson could reach that level too, but it's still a projection. We're talking about a lot of probabilities, and I'm only saying that I want to weigh them among other players.

I might take Fant over Hockenson. We're talking about essentially the same size/strength, but Fant is faster and much more of a vertical catcher. On numbers alone, there's a ton in common with George Kittle and Noah Fant, and Kittle is proving to be an all-world talent.

I'm not sold that Hockenson is an elite blocker. Very good, sure, but he can't do things that guys like Gronk or even Dwayne Allen can do because he doesn't have a super strong base. That limits the ceiling.

Insane that Iowa has had Kittle, Fant, and Hockenson on the same team.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  5. SBLIII

SBLIII In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,298
    Lets get Warring in the 3rd

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,722
    If they’re confident Gronk comes back for another season, I’d be happy with Drew Sample. Outstanding blocker and could take the Dwayne Allen role from day one with a view towards competing for Gronk’s role in the future.

• Useful Useful x 2
  7. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,769
    If we want Irv Smith, we'll have to use our first-rounder to ensure that he's ours, because I don't think he lasts undrafted past the 40s, at the latest...and I wouldn't be opposed to taking him at 32 either, if all of DEs Ferrell, Ferguson & Burns have already been chosen.

8. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,722
    I wouldn’t touch him in the first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. captain stone

captain stone Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,769
    Smith? Why not?

10. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,722
    I think he’s undersized and under-athletic for a 1st round TE.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  11. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +2,828
    I have serious doubts about smith. He’s not a blocker, and he is not really a great route runner or good at creating separation.

• Useful Useful x 2
  12. JerseyShore99

JerseyShore99 Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +309
    Definitely not a first round prospect, but maybe second? and we have pick 32 so we'll see

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. SBLIII

SBLIII In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6,298
    His agility numbers are concerning if you expect a Pro Bowl TE.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,722
    And his explosion numbers. He’s not bad as a prospect in terms of film but I just don’t think he has the athleticism to be a move TE or the size (particularly height) to be an in-line TE. He’s more of an H-Back which we don’t use.

I’d be ok with him in the 2nd but I think there will be better options available at 32.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,722
    There will be others at 32 I think I would prefer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,636
    I said it in another thread but Smith is Daniel Graham. Which isn't a bad thing but not for a first rounder. You would be getting a really good blocker who can get you 30-40 catches for 500-ish yards and 5 or 6 TDs. By all accounts also, like Graham, a great guy in the locker room. I actually expect him to be around at 56 and with Hockenson and Fant off the board the Pats taking him there.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. BobDigital

BobDigital Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +14,456
    Besides TJ Hockenson i'm just not excited about any TE in this draft class to this point. I'll look at a few more before I'm done but I found both Fant and Smith underwhelming for various reasons. Maybe i'm wrong. I'm more likely to be wrong on Fant than Smith though IMO cause at least Fant is the better athlete.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. reamer

reamer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +15,754
    Have you watched Warring? Pretty excited about him as a high upside player. Late rounds, I like Wesco. He's like Dwayne Allen with more wiggle and better hands. Solid #3 TE IMO.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +2,828
    The best deep seam route runner at tight end in this draft is Fant. However, I’m not a fan of his release or his intermediate route running.

It is sternburger, the second best deep seam route runner in this draft that excites me. He also has a horizontal and intermediate game that makes him perfect for our offense. Add in that he has did this last season in the sec.
    last year he averaged 17 yards a catch against Alabama with a touchdown. This is a guy that has the exact skill set we need in our offense.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. manxman2601

Ratings:
    +26,722
    Drew Sample is my Allen replacement. Haven’t seen Wesco. I like Sample as a solid player who’s not going to let you down. May never be a top TE but in time could give you decent production that you could depend upon.

And I’m with you on Warring’s upside. Just a little concerned about his floor.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1