PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teixeira Agrees to terms with the Yankees

I'm glad we didn't sign him. He's one of baseballs better players but even if the money is fair the no trade contract would have been a disaster for the Sox who traditionally don't give no-trades. The Yankees will be tough but come playoff time they may have Teixiera but Sabathia and Burnett will be nursing injuries ... no big deal ... almost $60 million a year for 3 new players ... Hank will be hitting the bottle by next year for sure.

Hey Mark Merry Christmas
This is part of the package buddy.
frank200.jpg
frank from Gloucester lol. you've got to dump that sig.

While the Yankees do indeed contribute mightily to the MLB luxury tax, having a new stadium works heavily in their favor. Part of the 2002 collective bargaining agreement allows for them to deduct construction costs when MLB figures out the revenue sharing. While we all focus on the spending spree as being a result of missing the playoffs, I had a strong feeling this was going to happen when I first read about how those costs lower the money a team spends on the luxury tax.

Here's a link to a decent read about the stadium from a financial perspective. I had to laugh at how the politicians got themselves a luxury suite in the deal.

Yankees Stadium Windfall

Man, this sucks. Can't say I wasn't looking forward to having Tex in the lineup, and now to have the Skankees take him, just puts salt into the wound.

I'd rather see them sign him than Manny; Manny would have tortured the Red Sox for three years.

The way the Yankees are spending money, maybe they'll sign Manny too..............

I'd rather see them sign him than Manny; Manny would have tortured the Red Sox for three years.

The way the Yankees are spending money, maybe they'll sign Manny too..............

I wouldn't put it past the bottom dwelling scum suckers. They think they can buy their way to a pennant. I just wanna see the Sox blow them out of the water, just one more time.

The yankees had 88 million in expiring contracts and have committed 64 million so far this off season.

Looks like they trimmed their budget by half a rays organisation.

Red Sox can still trot out this lineup:

cf Ellsbury
2b Pedroia
dh Ortiz
1b Youkilis
lf Bay
rf Drew
3b Lowell
ss Lowrie
c Varitek/whatever catcher we get

This rotation:

rhp Beckett
lhp Lester
rhp Matsuzaka
rhp Wakefield
rhp Masterson/Buchholz/whatever vet they might sign

This bullpen

cp Papelbon
rp Ramirez
rp Okajima
rp Delcarmen
rp Lopez
rp Littleton

As long as this team remains healthy (and that's a big if), we match up against anybody, including the Yankees.

i agree 100 percent. nothing bothers me more then to see a former redsox world champ no less end up with the yankees. to this day it still bothers me to see johnny Damon in a yankee uniform.

i agree 100 percent. nothing bothers me more then to see a former redsox world champ no less end up with the yankees. to this day it still bothers me to see johnny Damon in a yankee uniform.

Co-signed. If the Yankees sign Manny...

cf Damon
ss Jeter
3b Rodriguez
dh Ramirez
1b Teixeira
rf Nady
c Posada
2b Cano
lf Swisher

That would really be flat-out ridiculous, and I don't know if I would want to bother with the 2009 season.

I agree 100% that the Yankees have a HUGE advantage over the vast majority of teams in baseball. However, I'm just curious, were the Redsox not buying a championship when they cut a $50+ million check just to talk to a guy who had never thrown a ball in the majors? How about when they gave $70 million to a procelin RF? $36 million to a guy no one even wanted as a SS? $160 million to a guy they eventually paid to ship out of town? Oh, and had the Sox succeeded in signing Tex to the $170, or $180 million deal they offered him yesterday, would everyone in here be complaining about how the Redsox can buy players very few other teams can? I'm guessing Tampa's payroll wouldn't have made it into the thread, had he John Han****'d the offer. My point is, that while the Yankees have an absolute, and undeniable advantage with respect to financial resources, the Redsox shouldn't really be the one's complaining. The Sox are a have, in a league of far too many have not's.

Oh, and it's an total joke that the Yankees are spending close to half a billion on free agents, while begging the city's taxpayers for more coin for their stadium. It'd have been cheaper if the TP's just pitched in and bought Bloomberg's office that Luxury box.

nobody comes close to payroll with the yankees. not even the sox. spin it all you like. the redsox were some 60 to 70 million behind the yankees in payroll. its not even close. its not about who spent what on a particular player. its about total dollars spent. if the redsox played in the AL west then they would have a advantage over other teams. being a yankee fan your just going to have to live with the fact that the yankees have a huge advantage over every team in the league.

Last edited:
OK - so the Yankees are attempting to buy another championship.

Isn't that what they've been trying to do since the last century? How's that working for them?

If they fail to win the World Series this season its going to make them even MORE of a laughingstock of baseball than ever before. And that sort of pressure might not sit well with a bunch of primadonnas not used to playing together as a team the way the Red Sox and other teams have to capture their crowns.

So what do the Sox do now? They'd never take Manny back, not after what he pulled. Who is going to be the big bat to replace manny now that Tex is off the market?

I think the only way to land a big bat now is via trade. I'd love to see Miguel Cabrera join the Red Sox. Offensively speaking, in some ways he's even better than Tex. Plus he's only 25 now, and will be turning 26 next year.

Last edited:
So what do the Sox do now? They'd never take Manny back, not after what he pulled. Who is going to be the big bat to replace manny now that Tex is off the market?

I think the only way to land a big bat now is via trade. I'd love to see Miguel Cabrera join the Red Sox. Offensively speaking, in some ways he's even better than Tex. Plus he's only 25 now, and will be turning 26 next year.

Detroit just unloaded their farm for Cabrera and Willis, I would be shocked if he were dealt.

There really isn't a "plan B". I think they wanted Teixeira but if they didn't succeed they would just go with Lowell and Youk at the corners.

the sox dont need a big bat. they scored more runs after manny was traded. they need a healthy beckett and lowell and maybe d lowe.

Last edited:

I'm thinking Manny will be the Yankee's new DH, what more perfect way could Hal get back at the Sox then to sign every free agent on the market and also add Manny to DH and piss all of us off. Sorry but that lineup would be frightening i don't care who's pitching!

the sox dont need a big bat. they scored more runs after manny was traded. they need a healthy beckett and lowell and maybe d lowe.

Thing is, the Sox look stagnant right about now, and it showed in the playoffs. They need that little something, even with all of our guys healthy and I'm afraid Tex was that something. Nothing can be done now, its a finished story, but perhaps management will figure out some sort of a trade.. Take a look at Arizona or some other team that needs cash too, that could work.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back