PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Teixeira Agrees to terms with the Yankees

I agree 100% that the Yankees have a HUGE advantage over the vast majority of teams in baseball. However, I'm just curious, were the Redsox not buying a championship when they cut a $50+ million check just to talk to a guy who had never thrown a ball in the majors? How about when they gave $70 million to a procelin RF? $36 million to a guy no one even wanted as a SS? $160 million to a guy they eventually paid to ship out of town? Oh, and had the Sox succeeded in signing Tex to the $170, or $180 million deal they offered him yesterday, would everyone in here be complaining about how the Redsox can buy players very few other teams can? I'm guessing Tampa's payroll wouldn't have made it into the thread, had he John Han****'d the offer. My point is, that while the Yankees have an absolute, and undeniable advantage with respect to financial resources, the Redsox shouldn't really be the one's complaining. The Sox are a have, in a league of far too many have not's.

Oh, and it's an total joke that the Yankees are spending close to half a billion on free agents, while begging the city's taxpayers for more coin for their stadium. It'd have been cheaper if the TP's just pitched in and bought Bloomberg's office that Luxury box.

I see your larger point, but for the issue on Dice-K specifically, I think thats a separate issue. That money wasn't just an investment in terms of baseball, but in marketing. Dice-K offered them a chance to market the Sox brand to a whole different area of the world.

I still think the Yankees are in just another realm in terms of spending - the gap has widened and the Sox have actually fallen back into a pack of second tier spending teams.

Ultimately, I am starting to agree with you - the spending issue is overrated. If you have it, spend it. And that's almost besides the point as we've seen over time that these spending sprees - for the Sox and Yanks - rarely work out as planned and its homegrown talent that is the most valuable kind of talent. If the Yanks succeed, its going to be as much b/c of Wang, Cano, Hughes, Chamberlain, etc. than it is Teixiera or CC.

Last edited:
Let the Yankees spend all they want, they've been doing so since they bought their first World Series title under Heir Steinbrenner in 1977, then again in 1978 and off they went.

Funny thing happened from 1982 to 1994; they sucked despite all the spending. Then they brought in a bunch of home grown talent and some great roll players and ripped off a bunch of championships in the late 90's.

Since then, they have gone back to the spending; remember all the freaking out in 2004 when they got Payfraud, Brown, Shefield, etc? How did that work out for them, not too well as I recall.

Bottom line is WS titles aren't won by the biggest spenders as the Yankees have done squat this decade despite having the highest payroll in baseball.

Yankees not winning the world series despite all of this spending + all the douchebag Yankee fans being torked off about it (do any of you know a Yankee fan who's not a douchebag, comes with the territory I guess) = sheer joy for mankind.

Thing is, the Sox look stagnant right about now, and it showed in the playoffs. They need that little something, even with all of our guys healthy and I'm afraid Tex was that something. Nothing can be done now, its a finished story, but perhaps management will figure out some sort of a trade.. Take a look at Arizona or some other team that needs cash too, that could work.
:confused: i dont agree. the only thing that kept the sox from going to the WS was josh becketts health. if he was the 2007 beckett the sox would be back to back champs. again they scored more runs after manny was traded. because they cant sign mr t they are stagnant? that makes no sense to me.

:confused: i dont agree. the only thing that kept the sox from going to the WS was josh becketts health. if he was the 2007 beckett the sox would be back to back champs. again they scored more runs after manny was traded. because they cant sign mr t they are stagnant? that makes no sense to me.

Eh, you're probably right but I'm still worried about Big Papi's apparent slump and the lack of another big bat in the lineup. Also, Varitek isn't exactly the greatest hitter but then again, how important is that?

Eh, you're probably right but I'm still worried about Big Papi's apparent slump and the lack of another big bat in the lineup. Also, Varitek isn't exactly the greatest hitter but then again, how important is that?
those are legit concerns but you can say the same thing about the health of posada matsui wang damon. people need to chill about the sox. they have a excellent team with out mr T.

Last edited:

Agree completely. Beckett was far from 100%, yet the Sox missed the W.S. by one game.

The part I find most comical about all of this is the Yankees have become the Red Sox pre 2004, ie, totally preoccupied with the Red Sox like the Red Sox used to be with them.

They basically signed Luxury Taxiera to keep him away from the Red Sox, nothing more, nothing less. Cashman, aka, the best check writer in the business, told Borass come back to them with the best final offer and they will beat it. If the Sox had offered 190, the Skanks would have offered 200, etc, etc. They were going to sign this guy no matter what.

Luxury Taxiera wore #23 as a Ranger because his idol was Mattingly; he wanted to be a Yankee.

Be careful what you wish for; he's got the body of Arod and the face of Lackey, I effin hate the tool already and we're not even into Spring training yet..................

ya know it may not be the best for baseball, but it is a business. if your ROI is 1.02% without X, but 1.25% with X, you go for X if the numbers match. if they got it, why not spend it to make yourself more money right

It's Bullsheet, a freakin' joke. I don't care if the Red Sox had one of the higher payrolls in baseball, its still an unfair advantage. The worst culprit is the NY Yankees, who along with another team (not Sox) paid the luxury tax this year. When a team has the four highest paid players in the league, it's time to re-write the rules.

People love to say that in terms of spending, it's the Yankees, Red Sox and everyone else. But that's not remotely true. The Sox were 6th in payroll last year and are usually comparable with about 5 or 6 other big market teams. The Yankees are about 80 million above the next highest at all times.

The only reason why the Yankees are even competitive is because New York is a bigger place than Boston.

The Yankees don't draft particularly well, they don't have a great farm system and their trades are mediocre. People can say that the "Yankees wouldn't be competitive without guys like Joba and Hughes" but that's nonsense. The Yankees wouldn't be competitive if they had to rely mostly on guys like that, as every other team has to.

There's a difference between the Sox or some other team like Detroit occasionally going after the big name they like, like Drew and Dice K, which any big market team does, and the Yankees just buying everyone at astronomical prices.

For anyone to say, "games are played on the field" as if free agency isn't a huge factor is dishonest. When you have a bigger payroll by $80m and can buy anyone on the market (possibly the top 4 FAs this year), you have an enormous advantage.

There is no skill involved in what the Yankees as an organization do. If you stack up their farm system, player evaluation and draft results against every other team in the league they finish near the bottom or at best, just around average. Without the difference in revenue that comes from having the enormous NY market and a brand new stadium, the Yankees are a mediocre team at best.

If the Yankees win it will be because they have more money than anyone else. Period. If the Yankees and the Sox were forced to spend the same, the Sox would dominate them every year and it wouldn't be close. How anyone can want to root for the Yankees is beyond me.

Apologies for being redundant, but it's going to get worse now that the Steinbrenners have their new stadium,

As for sponsorships, Levine says the Yankees are not planning to sell traditional naming rights: "It's going to be called Yankee Stadium." Nevertheless, according to the bond prospectus, the team's lease with New York City (which will own the new stadium) stipulates that the Yankees keep "all cash and receivables" related to "naming rights" and "advertising" and specifically raises the possibility of the Yankees' selling naming rights "for parts of the stadium." In other words, fans may enter a building called Yankee Stadium but find themselves sitting in the Bank of America bleachers or purchasing snacks at the Pfizer food court. Perello, now a sports consultant, thinks the Yanks could collect $50 million to $75 million a year in sponsorship dough this way.

What will New York taxpayers get in return for all their Yankee largesse? Very little - unless you're a local pol with a hankering for hardball. The Yankees will pay a mere $10 a year in rent in the new ballpark, down from about $10 million in the old one. No, we didn't leave off some zeros; it's typical of the sweetheart deals cities make to keep teams in town. And this one comes with a cherry-on-top kicker: According to the prospectus, city officials get their own luxury box "for all regular-season team home games."

Of course, the Yankees are responsible for $51 million a year in debt service. Yet even that expense comes with a silver lining: It will help reduce the Yankees' revenue-sharing obligations. Baseball's 2002 collective-bargaining agreement permits teams to deduct stadium debt service and construction costs when calculating revenue sharing. Bottom line? Baseball's 29 other teams will effectively bear a third of the cost of the Yankees' new ballpark. "It's a classic tax shelter," one baseball insider says. "Not only do you get the benefit of added revenues, but you get a major revenue-sharing deduction as well."

Last edited:
Texeira will come down with the curse of A-Rod :eek:... I am not worried.:p

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe