PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Dwayne Allen released

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's nutty is he was a decent receiving threat in Indy.

he really wasn't. his receiving yards in Indianpolis were a direct reflection of a lack of options at the tight end position. He got yards in a couple seasons because they had no other choice but to throw to him.

Dwayne is gone because they can get someone else to do the same job for half the money. His "blocking" is getting talked up to a ridiculous degree. Its like no one else in the NFL can possibly block like dwayne allen! good grief. hes a third rate tight end. I'd rather bring hooman back

he really wasn't. his receiving yards in Indianpolis were a direct reflection of a lack of options at the tight end position. He got yards in a couple seasons because they had no other choice but to throw to him.

Dwayne is gone because they can get someone else to do the same job for half the money. His "blocking" is getting talked up to a ridiculous degree. Its like no one else in the NFL can possibly block like dwayne allen! good grief. hes a third rate tight end. I'd rather bring hooman back

He also had his opportunity when Gronk was hurt and he was the lone TE. He still didn’t factor into the passing game.

I love Allen’s play as a blocking TE but I still wouldn’t give him more than 2,5 AAV. He’s been in the league long enough to have developed into a reliable receiver but simply isn’t able to do it, so as just a pure blocking TE I think that’s all he’s worth.

I think Dwayne Allen wouldn't get the negative/lukewarm reaction from the fans that he's getting if there hadn't been a sense that we got him instead of keeping Martellus Bennett. The reason everyone expects pass catching out of the TE2 position, which if you look around the league is actually pretty rare, is because Martellus Bennett did it. While we had Bennett we actually had 2 TE1s, which was done because of a concern about Gronk's durability that proved to be highly valid.

The problem is that Bennett was breaking down too, he would be effectively out of the league by the end of the following year due to lack of ability to play football.

Well one thing we can't fault Allen for is his health, he's been a horse for us in a very physical role. Meanwhile Bennett is long since out of the league and the two years he shared TE duties with Gronk have been Gronk's 2 healthiest seasons in.... awhile. I get the idea that the salary is a little high, which isn't unusual for a FA signing in this day and age, but the overall sense that Allen has been in some way disappointing is nonsense -- it's a hot take based more on the guy he replaced than any honest assessment of Allen's own abilities and that is utterly unfair.

For the record -- Allen's career catch rate is below 60%. For a receiving TE that's pretty dismal. Sure he got targets on a dead team with no depth and very limited offensive options but that doesn't mean that he was ever properly used as a receiver. His salary was as inflated as it was because of a career year as a pass catcher in his contract season. It happens. Regardless of that the dude's primarily a run blocker and BB knew that when he signed him. It's the fans that didn't seem to get the memo, and only the fans. Every time BB references Allen, he's effusive in his praise.

Also worth noting -- the running game actually got a lot better over the last 2 years with Allen in. The team was a throw first offense for most of the previous few years, but the run game was much more productive once he got to New England. Develin can't do all the blocking by himself, Allen played a substantial role here.

You might be able to replace him for less money but I seriously doubt there's any actual buyers' remorse in BB's mind when it comes to this guy. And again, would not be surprised if he was brought back at a rate that was a little more in tune with his production levels

Last edited:
8 pages on Dwayne Allen...lol

I think he goes back to the Colts. They have the money, they could keep investing in the running game and he had a rapport with Luck.

Dwayne was a bigger part of Pats offense both years than fans were/are willing to see.

Always did great job in the trenches, never complained about not being a target and possibly losing out on next contract.

Of course there will be people who were willing to see both..

Last edited:

Uhm, maybe you should have a good hard close look at today's tight ends coming out of college. They're all a bunch of receivers! Chung literally engaged and threw a "tight end" aside in the Super Bowl. Hightower decleated another "tight end" who was facing and trying to engage him. I think Van Noy knocked one of their tight ends over in the game too.

Did any of the tight ends that the Patriots faced in the playoffs compare to Dwayne Allen's blocking? Nope, couldn't even hold his jockstrap! Good blocking tight ends are a rare breed in today's NYJFL*.

Oh and don't get me started on Hooman. He was mediocre. Everytime he whiffed on a block, drove me nuts! Patriots made out like bandits trading Hicks for Hooman.

Dwayne was a bigger part of Pats offense both years than fans were/are willing to see.

Always did great job in the trenches, never complained about not being a target and possibly losing out on next contract.

Of course there will be people who were willing to see both..

For people here, Allen's problems begin and end with the fact that it was thought , given his contract numbers and his history in Indianapolis, he'd be at least a bit of a dual threat but, in 2 seasons with the Patriots, he has just 13 more receptions that either you or I.

Uhm, maybe you should have a good hard close look at today's tight ends coming out of college. They're all a bunch of receivers! Chung literally engaged and threw a "tight end" aside in the Super Bowl. Hightower decleated another "tight end" who was facing and trying to engage him. I think Van Noy knocked one of their tight ends over in the game too.

Did any of the tight ends that the Patriots faced in the playoffs compare to Dwayne Allen's blocking? Nope, couldn't even hold his jockstrap! Good blocking tight ends are a rare breed in today's NYJFL*.

Oh and don't get me started on Hooman. He was mediocre. Everytime he whiffed on a block, drove me nuts! Patriots made out like bandits trading Hicks for Hooman.

right now there are several free agent tight ends who can block - Levine Toilolo in Detroit, Maxx Williams & Nick Boyle in Baltimore ... its not like these guys dont exist. The amount of slobbering over dwayne allen is mind boggling...

i'd be fine with the guy if he was worth it .... but ultimately, is "being good at blocking" worth what he was making? hell no. Cant find a "blocking" tight end you like? Go get another full back, convert him to tight end or go back to Gibbs playbook and call him an H back, i don't really care what one calls it, and pay them a quarter to half of what you would have to pay Dwayne Allen.

Last edited:

Of course there will be people who were willing to see both...

...and not one of those teams will offer him a contract worth what he would've been scheduled to make here next season either.

right now there are several free agent tight ends who can block - Levine Toilolo in Detroit, Maxx Williams & Nick Boyle in Baltimore ... its not like these guys dont exist. The amount of slobbering over dwayne allen is mind boggling...

i'd be fine with the guy if he was worth it .... but ultimately, is "being good at blocking" worth what he was making? hell no. Cant find a "blocking" tight end you like? Go get another full back, convert him to tight end or go back to Gibbs playbook and call him an H back, i don't really care what one calls it, and pay them a quarter to half of what you would have to pay Dwayne Allen.
Dwayne Allen's blocking is getting talked up to a ridiculous degree because his blocking is good. You called Hooman a competent replacement for Dwayne Allen. That's what is ridiculous!

You keep pushing the narrative like you can find good blockers anywhere. That couldn't be further from the truth. You name 32 tight ends that can block, then you got a point. Even finding good blocking fullbacks are hard. Develin's a rare beast too.

That being said if I had to choose who I wanted lining up at the end for run blocking. I'd take Allen over Develin 100% of the time. Develin's better at being a fullback. Point is you can't just turn a fullback into a tight end and expect it to work. Is is possible? Of course! Is it likely to work 100% of the time? No.

I just want to end this post in saying I'm not debating salary, or what's his worth. Just pointing out Dwayne Allen is a good blocker, and those are not easy to find today.

Thanks for the heads up on Toilolo, Williams, and Boyle. I'll look for them next season and see how they do.

I just want to end this post in saying I'm not debating salary, or what's his worth. Just pointing out Dwayne Allen is a good blocker, and those are not easy to find today.
Dwayne Allen is certainly a good blocker. I’d even say “very good.” That said, he simply wasn’t worth his salary, although I still hold out hope that they can re-sign him for a lesser cost, as much as I personally doubt it.

I’m thinking that they’re going to take a high round draft pick TE and just don’t see the need to pay more than a fraction of what Allen was going to get. There (hopefully) wouldn’t be enough snaps to justify that kind of cost. I think we sign another cheaper TE for blocking purposes, as they’ve done many times in the past. With an expected draft pick, it could also make Hollister expendable.

...and not one of those teams will offer him a contract worth what he would've been scheduled to make here next season either.

NE didn't offer him that contract either . it was part of the trade . that's why he was released as predicted.

He was worth every penny he did earn here though . thats why he was kept..

You keep pushing the narrative like you can find good blockers anywhere.

... because you guys keep pushing the narrative that blocking tight ends are the rarest gem in the universe...

i think im beginning to believe its now harder to find a good blocking tight end than it is to find a franchise quarterback :rolleyes:

as for conversion from one position to another, its a story thats written every season

and i didnt call hooman competent, i said i'd rather have him back... there is a difference.

... because you guys keep pushing the narrative that blocking tight ends are the rarest gem in the universe...

They actually are pretty rare. I mean you can get a body at TE that tries to block for not much money, but for a guy who's really good at it? Teams know what that's worth and those guys are sought after. It's only fans who critically undervalue the really good blocking TEs, the teams get it.

Hell, you just read the report that 4 teams are already inquiring about Allen, that should tell you something.

It's just like any other NFL role, you've got a lot of guys who that's the role they're forced into, a few that can actually stand up to the pressure of doing it for 16 games without too many mistakes, and then there's the REAL contributors at the position, like Develin at FB or Allen at TE. The ones that stand out among their own breed.

And sure, you can bring in a pretender for cheap cash and Bill might even do that if he thinks he's found one he can really work with, but there's something to be said for a solid, consistent, veteran TE who can stand the workload and deliver at a high level for a full season. No, those aren't a dime a dozen and they're actually pretty rare.

NE didn't offer him that contract either . it was part of the trade . that's why he was released as predicted.

He was worth every penny he did earn here though . thats why he was kept.
He was kept here last season because he agreed to a pay cut, and because there was Zero competition for the #2 TE job.

I agree Izzo could be a surprise player this year. There's not a lot of it, but if you check his film you can see one thing right off the bat...he's tough. I can see him easily filling Allen's spot blocking but also delivering some hits after the catch. He's not the next great one IMO, but he could turn out to be a good piece to have up front, and I think they can use him to make some plays in the short passing game.

They actually are pretty rare. I mean you can get a body at TE that tries to block for not much money, but for a guy who's really good at it? Teams know what that's worth and those guys are sought after. It's only fans who critically undervalue the really good blocking TEs, the teams get it.

Hell, you just read the report that 4 teams are already inquiring about Allen, that should tell you something.

It's just like any other NFL role, you've got a lot of guys who that's the role they're forced into, a few that can actually stand up to the pressure of doing it for 16 games without too many mistakes, and then there's the REAL contributors at the position, like Develin at FB or Allen at TE. The ones that stand out among their own breed.

And sure, you can bring in a pretender for cheap cash and Bill might even do that if he thinks he's found one he can really work with, but there's something to be said for a solid, consistent, veteran TE who can stand the workload and deliver at a high level for a full season. No, those aren't a dime a dozen and they're actually pretty rare.

Any player who is good at his job, who is dependable, consistent, etc is rare. But what you guys keep insinuating is that he can't be replaced. Of course he can. Everyone is replaceable. But when you are only bringing one "skill" to the table, it creates an issue. If gronk went down again, would you have had any faith in replacing his production with Allen?

Versatility on his part is lacking. If the price is right, sure, its easy to hold onto a one trick pony kind of guy. But if they take up a chunk of change, and only do 1 thing, then its time to move on. Thats reality.

The Pats wanted him to stay, but at the right price. He said no when asked to take a haircut. So the team moved on. Its a simple production vs cost decision. We see that every day in the NFL. So now its time to find his replacement. So the argument is now over. Allen is out. The Patriots can and should look to do better at the tight end position.

I'm sure hes a heck of a guy. I thank him for his work here, and wish him well in the future, except when he plays New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News