PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Dwayne Allen released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering he was released suggests his value wasn’t what they expected.
Or that the need for an elite blocker to take pressure off Gronkowski's body is now irrelevant

Do you really think if he was so sure-handed he'd be ignored as a receiving threat?
121818-rob-gronkowski-feature.jpg

Yes.

I have never once heard ANY Patriots source specifically say they expected Allen to be more than an emergency option catching passes.

Not once.

In fact I believe very strongly that it was ONLY the fans and the pundits who were even INTERESTED in Allen's prospects as a pass catcher.

The man was here for one reason -- to block. He was here to keep Gronk's knees intact by taking blocking snaps from Gronk and to add another big blocking body on 2TE sets. He seems to have accomplished this and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's back on a restructured deal because from everything I can see, BB loves him.

Last edited:
121818-rob-gronkowski-feature.jpg

Yes.

I have never once heard ANY Patriots source specifically say they expected Allen to be more than an emergency option catching passes.

Not once.

In fact I believe very strongly that it was ONLY the fans and the pundits who were even INTERESTED in Allen's prospects as a pass catcher.

The man was here for one reason -- to block. He was here to keep Gronk's knees intact by taking blocking snaps from Gronk and to add another big blocking body on 2TE sets. He seems to have accomplished this and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's back on a restructured deal because from everything I can see, BB loves him.
And you never will.

Before he got here he was a decent, accomplished receiving threat. To assume the team is thrilled with his lack of production in the passing game is fanciful.

And you never will.

Before he got here he was a decent, accomplished receiving threat. To assume the team is thrilled with his lack of production in the passing game is fanciful.
What's fanciful is to assume simply by the numbers that Allen isn't doing his job.

Stats are a sympton of usage as much as skill. The Colts were forced to use Allen as their TE1 and he was the closest thing they had to a receiving TE at the time, so of course he got heavy usage and more than a few yards through the air. In NE he wasn't even close to the top receiving TE option, and his targets reflect that. He was reliable enough when called upon but with the presence of Gronk, he simply wasn't called upon all that often.

Put simply, the team had the luxury of options -- use a pretty good receiving TE or probably the best receiving TE of this era. They're not gonna pick door #1 very often.

Allen got literally 4 targets last year, 3 of which he caught. That's not just a guy who can't get open, it's a guy whose role in the play design doesn't include getting open. 4 targets all year probably means 4 emergency checkdowns on busted run plays. He simply wasn't out there catching footballs in the first place, so why bother trying to evaluate his value to the air game when from Allen's perspective, there was no air game?

What's fanciful is to assume simply by the numbers that Allen isn't doing his job.

Stats are a sympton of usage as much as skill. The Colts were forced to use Allen as their TE1 and he was the closest thing they had to a receiving TE at the time, so of course he got heavy usage and more than a few yards through the air. In NE he wasn't even close to the top receiving TE option, and his targets reflect that. He was reliable enough when called upon but with the presence of Gronk, he simply wasn't called upon all that often.

Put simply, the team had the luxury of options -- use a pretty good receiving TE or probably the best receiving TE of this era. They're not gonna pick door #1 very often.

Allen got literally 4 targets last year, 3 of which he caught. That's not just a guy who can't get open, it's a guy whose role in the play design doesn't include getting open. 4 targets all year probably means 4 emergency checkdowns on busted run plays. He simply wasn't out there catching footballs in the first place, so why bother trying to evaluate his value to the air game when from Allen's perspective, there was no air game?
They narrowed the scope of his job once he showed an inability to make an impact in the passing game.

It's completely fair to say Allen was useless in the passing game.

They narrowed the scope of his job once he showed an inability to make an impact in the passing game.

I hope nobody is disputing that.

So was James Develin.

I hope nobody is disputing that.
I have no idea why people are debating me regarding re: Allen in the passing game. If he was decent and had Tom's confidence and made plays he'd have more catches.

Wrong. Develin can catch the ball and make a play.

12 catches on 17 targets, and on one, he threw up the ball into an interception.

Love Develin, by the way. But his importance and role in the Patriots' passing games was pretty similar to that of Dwayne Allen.

12 catches on 17 targets, and on one, he threw up the ball into an interception.

Love Develin, by the way. But his importance and role in the Patriots' passing games was pretty similar to that of Dwayne Allen.
Develin was and will be a secondary target.

The difference between him and Allen is Tom and the coaching staff are ok getting him the ball

I have no idea why people are debating me regarding re: Allen in the passing game. If he was decent and had Tom's confidence and made plays he'd have more catches.

I'm not debating you on his role HERE, but he showed before that he actually can catch the ball and gain some yards (11+ per catch). No Gronk, for sure.

He was asked to do a specific thing HERE, and he did it. There's no reason to think he couldn't do more than that if he had been asked to, since he did more than that before.

I'm not debating you on his role HERE, but he showed before that he actually can catch the ball and gain some yards (11+ per catch). No Gronk, for sure.

He was asked to do a specific thing HERE, and he did it. There's no reason to think he couldn't do more than that if he had been asked to, since he did more than that before.
That's the debate

People think Allen is capable of more here.

I don't think he is.

My belief is if Tom targeted him 10 times he'd have one catch, one drop and a bunch of incompletions because he can't separate, has limited catching range and can't run a route to Tom and Josh's liking.

What's nutty is he was a decent receiving threat in Indy.

That's the debate

People think Allen is capable of more here.

I don't think he is.

My belief is if Tom targeted him 10 times he'd have one catch, one drop and a bunch of incompletions because he can't separate, has limited catching range and can't run a route to Tom and Josh's liking.

What's nutty is he was a decent receiving threat in Indy.
Allen looked awkward going out in pass patterns.

He got released. That there tells you everything we need to know. Good blocker but he’s being paid to do more. You can get a lineman that can block just as well for less. Allen even says the numbers don’t work. What really takes pressure off of Gronk is another te that can block and catch. Get him more single coverage will be less strain on his body.

Picking up this offense is hard . Getting Tom's trust is harder.

If people watch the games they would see he can’t get separation or runs wrong routes. They have tried him as the first progression and it hardly produced. People see him open sometimes because he’s the later progressions and Brady doesn’t have time to wait that long. He is a good blocker, no one is arguing that, but to debate is passing production is pointless. He was released because for 7mill he needs to catch some ball too. I think coach sees more potential in our younger TEs, we need more passing options, it can’t be all Gronk and Edelman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back