PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Dwayne Allen released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Derek Rivers do it? Admittedly, my memory could be off.

Yeah but to be fair Rivers was a 3rd round pick (and the Patriots first pick in that draft at 83rd overall). Draft is four rounds deep, and the first four rounds are very different than the last three.

I'm sure the number of later round picks who didn't play as rookies and made it in the NFL is greater than zero, but the odds aren't good. Just thinking about Patriots picks, Jeremy Mincey is one guy I can think of who didn't play at all the year he was drafted and ended up having a decent career. Darryl Roberts is another who spent his first year on IR, same for AJ Derby. Halapio made it eventually. All four have been starters or contributors after a written off first season.

But notable that none of them made it as Patriots.

During the season, I’d say there were many « cut Allen/why are we paying this guy » types....

Is the assumption that this forum, and others like it, is a communication channel between fans and players?

...For blocking TE choice B, an interesting name to watch from my perspective is Raiders TE Lee Smith. He was drafted by the Patriots in the 5th round in 2011 as a blocking TE to replace Algae Crumpler. Pats cut him at final cutdown hoping to put him on the practice squad, but the Bills claimed him off waivers. Slowly built a career for himself in that role. He is under contract for 2019 for $2.62m and 2020 for $2.77m which is the right price for this role. Belichick has a solid relationship with Gruden and Mayock - since they're looking to build long term they may not care so much about a 31 year old blocking TE...
I don't want Lee Smith back either, at any price.

Good blocker but for his cap hit he had to catch too. People we right as to criticize his value. No one said he sucked he just needed to do more than just block.

Thanks for everything Dwayne. We gave him a lot of grief on this board, but at the end of the day he did his job and helped us win a lot of football games. Best of luck if you don't come back on a team friendly contract.

You’re right on here. We’ve really torched this guy ( or is it spelled tourch? Lmao) many times. He is just not good at catching. Great blocker but 7 mill is a bit much for that. I’d offer 2 mill per.

Ryan Izzo by no means received the Malcolm Butler 2014 preseason treatment. That dude was playing every snap of every preseason game.

Izzo was getting close to Butler when he was injured. In the first preseason game Izzo played the most offensive snaps of any player, not a OL or Brian Hoyer (64%). Before he got hurt in game 2, he was playing with the starters in two TE situations from the beginning of the game (which would have been his job) and blew open a hole on 3rd and 2, where James White ran for 21 yards.

But most eye opening was how the running game fell apart once he left either of the first two preseason games.

I will list all the late round draft choices who spent their rookie years on the IR and made the team the next year.

finished
========
Izzo is a longshot to beat out Hollister for the #3 TE spot.

Yes thank you for bringing up what a long shot this would be. Obviously it's more difficult to stick with a missed season, one less year on the rookie contract, and a new crop of rookies coming in. And I never said Izzo would be on the team this season. I merely asked the question, "What if Izzo makes the team?"

With these longest of long shot odds according to you, if he did make the 53, wouldn't this be an indication that last year the team was looking at Izzo as a possible replacement to Allen or at least to make the team roster?

That's all I'm looking for from posters. Acknowledgement of that. Or is an observation that the team might been thinking about saving Allen's 4 million wrong no matter what, because Izzo got injured early in the second preseason game?

Last edited:
Assuming Fant and hockenson are off the board by 64, all I have to say is Hello Sternburger, master of the deep seam routes and a perfect option route runner!

Sternburger reminds me of Dallas Clark some: he won't have any problems catching the Football or causing match up problems.

Another guy I hope they move on from is Hollister I don't think his body can hold up in the Pro game. He's just too often injured.

I don't understand your argument.

Are you simply arguing that drafting someone, anyone, is done in the hope that they potentially replace someone on the roster? Obviously that's true. So, sure, Izzo was drafted in the hope that he would potentially replace Allen as the blocking TE on the 53.

Yes thank you for bringing up what a long shot this would be. Obviously it's more difficult to stick with a missed season, one less year on the rookie contract, and a new crop of rookies coming in. And I never said Izzo would be on the team this season. I merely asked the question, "What if Izzo makes the team?"

With these longest of long shot odds according to you, if he did make the 53, wouldn't this be an indication that last year the team was looking at Izzo as a possible replacement to Allen or at least to make the team roster?

I will list all the late round draft choices who spent their rookie years on the IR and made the team the next year.

finished
========
Izzo is a longshot to beat out Hollister for the #3 TE spot.

Only one i can remember is udfa Keionta Davis...

Dwayne Allen is gone. He is a replaceable part, with no distinguishing skill. It was time for him to go. He's not worth 7 million. Wasnt really worth the 3.5 they paid him for this past year. but he took a haircut for the team, so they kept him around.

It was early, but I saw the same with Izzo. You didn't.

Then you have a problem with your vision. Because Izzo didn't receive any special treatment this preseason.

In fact it was Allen who got the veteran off treatment which made it pretty obvious that he'd be on the roster in exchange for a pay cut. We had exactly those discussions where I (and others) explained to you exactly what would happen about 2-3 weeks in advance of the pay cut he took.

Izzo was always a redshirt, a little bit of leverage to make Allen agree to a paycut and absolute emergency depth in case something catastrophic would happen with our TEs.

If Izzo got physically stronger, absorbed the blocking techniques taught by the coaching staff , is able to mentally handle both the protections & his routes, Allen doesn't come back on a cheap deal after failing to find a suitable other team AND we don't draft a TE early then Izzo has an outside chance of making the roster. But from a reasonable view he is an absolute longshot.

It is more likely he is out of the league by October than anything else like all those preseason heroes.

1) I agree that Allen wasn't worth 7 million.

2) I STRONGLY disagree that blocking isn't a distinguishable skill.

3) The open question is how much a top blocking TE is worth. I find it unlikely that we will secure a better blocking TE than Allen.

Dwayne Allen is gone. He is a replaceable part, with no distinguishing skill. It was time for him to go. He's not worth 7 million. Wasnt really worth the 3.5 they paid him for this past year. but he took a haircut for the team, so they kept him around.

Ryan Izzo.

From what I saw from camp, they were impressed enough to move Izzo into the blocking TE spot, until he got hurt. This prevented them from driving Allen's restructure down more, or even releasing him.
They are not going to go with a rookie in that spot. Bill is going to retain 2 professional TEs because they need to be able to use 2-2 personnel, it's a big part of their offense and not something you should hang on a developing player's shoulders if you can help it.

If they like what they saw from Hollister in practice and in his few appearances at an NFL level, he'll be Next Man Up at TE2, But no current Patriot not named Gronkowski is going to be the TE1, if they can't have Gronk they'll bring in another professional at TE1 and let Hollister and some draftees fight for TE2 and TE3

Good blocker but for his cap hit he had to catch too. People we right as to criticize his value. No one said he sucked he just needed to do more than just block.
Blocking is probably the single most important role of a TE. Allen wasn't going to get a ton of targets at the best of times because Gronk was on the roster, if you wanted to throw to a TE, you'd get Gronk into the game.

IU'm 100% convinced that Allen's #1 job as TE2 was to take some of the physical pressure off Gronk. I think it is a masterful testament to Allen's effectiveness in a Patriots uniform that Gronkowski, who missed a ton of games before he got here, has been much healthier in the Dwayne Allen era and has never been too injured to play in the playoffs since Allen's arrival.

Allen was neither overpaid nor overrated. Allen's job was to ensure that Gronkowski stayed on the field and he did that job brilliantly

Allen's #1 job was to make Trent Brown look better than he is. He did it well, and Brown will be the beneficiary.

Izzo was always a redshirt, a little bit of leverage to make Allen agree to a paycut and absolute emergency depth in case .

You like to ignore facts when they don’t support your opinion. Izzo actually survived the initial cut to 53 in hopes he could return from IR during the season. It was only when the Pats who were desperate for receivers claimed a couple on waivers including Darboh who didn’t pass his physical forcing them to IR Izzo before the cutoff preventing them from considering him for reinstatement after 8 weeks.

Paying Brown 15 APY will go down as a big time failure whoever ends up making it.

Yes. I should add that Allen's previous role was to make Solder look better than he is, and the same mistake was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back