PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Dwayne Allen released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Allen as he brought a lot to the running game but his price tag was steep on a team that has more important players to re-sign. I hope he comes back on a more reasonable deal.

I'll be the one to say it. Hope this means they know Gronk is back. Obviously a stretch but at the same time the status of TE1 has to somewhat relate to TE2.
I don't see much correlation.

Allen is a blocking TE and would never fill the TE1 spot.

I see zero Relation here to Gronk status or outlook. Thank & congratulate Allen for helping us win 2 Lombardis.
Don't re-sign at lower cap price, instead I find it difficult to believe that BB can't find a primarily blocking TE with potential upside thru the mid-late draft, or a low cap hit castoff blocking FA.

Cap hit was not worth... His skill set. . Maybe resign for alot less... But i would not doubt gronks successor was at the combine... Only the first step to gain cap space.. To get flowers signed

Even Allen's blocking declined last year.
You may be right about this, at least in a few games I noticed a little bit of that. I always wondered if he lacked the endurance because he was taking a full game worth of snaps this season like Gronk usually does.

Says who? You mean declined but still better than most te’s in the league?

This is still correct. Which says a lot of how sad the tight ends are in this league. Just a bunch of receivers.

I see zero Relation here to Gronk status or outlook. Thank & congratulate Allen for helping us win 2 Lombardis.
Don't re-sign at lower cap price, instead I find it difficult to believe that BB can't find a primarily blocking TE with potential upside thru the mid-late draft, or a low cap hit castoff blocking FA.
only one...

I wouldn't mind if we could get him back at a lower price. I think he was really under appreciated around here for what he did. Sure he didn't contribute at all as a pass catcher but he was hugely important to our running game, especially when Gronk wasn't 100%. As a blocking TE he was very good in his role, just not at his price tag.

An interesting name to watch as a blocking TE could be Jake Fisher from the Bengals. He was drafted in the 2nd round as an OT but has recently dropped down to 285lbs in an attempt to reinvent himself as a blocking TE. He was already fairly athletic for an OT so he could be a very intriguing piece.

I'll be the one to say it. Hope this means they know Gronk is back. Obviously a stretch but at the same time the status of TE1 has to somewhat relate to TE2.
7.3 mill is the reason. The decision would be the same regardless of any gronk decision.

It also is reported that they hope to resign him for less.

Sounds like BB / Caserio are working on a bigger extension if they set a deadline so early for Allen / agent.

His salary never sat well with me. Was a good blocker, but not an elite one, and pretty useless as a pass catcher. Opposing defenses didn't even have to worry about him in the passing game. I didn't hate the guy, but I think we can get much more talent for far less money in the draft. Free up some cap space for Flowers, who I really want to keep, within reason. Can't break the bank for a guy with his injury history. I think Brown is gone, but Flowers and McCourty we should be able to keep.

Not surprised at all. The guy has played his way into a valuable role but not a $7 million role.

An interesting name to watch as a blocking TE could be Jake Fisher from the Bengals. He was drafted in the 2nd round as an OT but has recently dropped down to 285lbs in an attempt to reinvent himself as a blocking TE. He was already fairly athletic for an OT so he could be a very intriguing piece.

In a year where the TE is a strong piece of the draft, I would be reluctant to try and make one from a player who has not done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back