PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Dwayne Allen released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand your argument.

Are you simply arguing that drafting someone, anyone, is done in the hope that they potentially replace someone on the roster? Obviously that's true. So, sure, Izzo was drafted in the hope that he would potentially replace Allen as the blocking TE on the 53.

You are quoting history saying no on late round pick has ever come back from IR, so I am terming that a long shot according to you? Fair?

I am saying in the short time Izzo had, he moved forward "potential" to "possibly now," but acknowledge that coming back from a missed rookie season can be a hurdle for even a top pick.

So if he makes the 53 this year, he was likely pretty good last year and the Pats knew it.

Then you have a problem with your vision. Because Izzo didn't receive any special treatment this preseason.

In fact it was Allen who got the veteran off treatment which made it pretty obvious that he'd be on the roster in exchange for a pay cut.

You like to ignore facts when they don’t support your opinion.

First preseason game, Allen played 18% of the snaps and the team did nothing when he was in. It wasn't until Izzo opened holes against admittedly second stringers that he got a chance to play with the starters game 2.

If a team has cap room and needs a quality starting LT, then 5/$75M will NOT go down a a big time failure. It might go down as a bit of an overpay, but probably not if Brown plays
for 5 years.

Now that Allen is gone, and Gronk is probably in his last year (at best), Brown probably isn't worth this amount to us. [Brown needs the help from the TE]. However, even that is questionable if Thuney is in his last year, and Wynn could be expected to take his place if we had a solid LT in place.

Paying Brown 15 APY will go down as a big time failure whoever ends up making it.

If Izzo makes it to the 53, then you are correct, then Izzo was indeed a good prospect last year.

So if he makes the 53 this year, he was likely pretty good last year and the Pats knew it.

If a team has cap room and needs a quality starting LT, then 5/$75M will NOT go down a a big time failure. It might go down as a bit of an overpay, but probably not if Brown plays
for 5 years.

People said this about Solder last year even though there were solid indications that he was nothing more than a mediocre tackle schemed to look better than he was, with help from Brady's release and pocket presence. Sure enough, the Giants decided to make him the highest paid tackle in football and he was miserable.

You like to ignore facts when they don’t support your opinion. Izzo actually survived the initial cut to 53 in hopes he could return from IR during the season. It was only when the Pats who were desperate for receivers claimed a couple on waivers including Darboh who didn’t pass his physical forcing them to IR Izzo before the cutoff preventing them from considering him for reinstatement after 8 weeks.

And none of this has anything to do with me saying he had not chance at all to take over for Allen. Especially after Allen agreed to the paycut which happened before the entire Izzo IR theatre. This has nothing to do with anything. This is the team stashing a TE who has good measurables and might develop - nothing else.

The entire idiotic argument brought forward last preseason was that Izzo had a chance at replacing Allen last year which is absurd. He had the same shot as Berrios which is essentially zero.

None of this has to do with his potential or whatever. The point made was that he was not even close to be ready last year.

Last edited:
First preseason game, Allen played 18% of the snaps and the team did nothing when he was in. It wasn't until Izzo opened holes against admittedly second stringers that he got a chance to play with the starters game 2.

None of what happens in preseason games matters. Are you new to the sport ?

Unless you get injured your performance on the field during the preseason has a relevance of maybe 1%. What you do every day for those 3-4 weeks in practice -- the other 99% -- is what gets you on the 53. Especially in on a team where reliability is the most important thing.

It means less than zero if a team looked better with player X, Y or Z in an exhibition where each team has their own goals that are not about winning but about evaluation.

People said this about Solder last year even though there were solid indications that he was nothing more than a mediocre tackle schemed to look better than he was, with help from Brady's release and pocket presence. Sure enough, the Giants decided to make him the highest paid tackle in football and he was miserable.

I mean say what you want about Solder being overpaid but he is definitely better than "mediocre".

1) I agree that Allen wasn't worth 7 million.

2) I STRONGLY disagree that blocking isn't a distinguishable skill.

3) The open question is how much a top blocking TE is worth. I find it unlikely that we will secure a better blocking TE than Allen.
We know its not worth 4.5.

You’re right on here. We’ve really torched this guy ( or is it spelled tourch? Lmao) many times. He is just not good at catching. Great blocker but 7 mill is a bit much for that. I’d offer 2 mill per.

But how would we know? The guy's put up over 500 yards as a receiver, over 400 and nearly 400 in two other years.

You have to be targeted to catch the ball. If you're the 3rd or 4th option on the Pats on any given play, you're probably not going to see the ball all that much, and how many times was Allen even put in that position on the Patriots?

If the play isn't designed for Brady to throw the ball to you, you're not going to get chances, and when the Patriots wanted to throw to a TE, they had this other guy...

But no, Allen isn't worth 7m to the Pats, and no other team is going anywhere near that for his services, I expect. On another team, though, I could see him putting up 300-600 yards receiving.

He was a lot worse than mediocre last season.

Honestly I have not watched any NYG snaps except from randoms highlights and the occasional redzone snap. So gotta trust you on that one.

Yes. I should add that Allen's previous role was to make Solder look better than he is, and the same mistake was made.

Solder was Solder before Allen joined the team.

The entire idiotic argument brought forward last preseason was that Izzo had a chance at replacing Allen last year which is absurd. He had the same shot as Berrios which is essentially zero.

None of this has to do with his potential or whatever. The point made was that he was not even close to be ready last year.

My original statement was Izzo would make the final 53 last year, which by the way he technically he did while injured. Allen was merely one path available to this end.

The current argument is that if he makes next year's 53 again, it would be proof that Izzo was part of the Patriot's 2018 plan and this was not just a technicality for whatever reason you will say it is. This seems logical, but you seem unable to accept it.

The current argument is that if he makes next year's 53 again, it would be proof that Izzo was part of the Patriot's 2018 plan and this was not just a technicality for whatever reason you will say it is.

He was so much in their plans that they sent him to IR without even waiting out that little bit of time that would have made him eligible to be designed to return just so they could sign another irrelevant, long shot WR. One that turned out to be injured as well.

You keep saying I am not accepting something but it is you who has issues accepting reality which was that Izzo was not even close to be ready last year to be a 53 contributor. If there was anything about him that was really intriguing they could have easily had him on IR-return.

Blocking is probably the single most important role of a TE. Allen wasn't going to get a ton of targets at the best of times because Gronk was on the roster, if you wanted to throw to a TE, you'd get Gronk into the game.

IU'm 100% convinced that Allen's #1 job as TE2 was to take some of the physical pressure off Gronk. I think it is a masterful testament to Allen's effectiveness in a Patriots uniform that Gronkowski, who missed a ton of games before he got here, has been much healthier in the Dwayne Allen era and has never been too injured to play in the playoffs since Allen's arrival.

Allen was neither overpaid nor overrated. Allen's job was to ensure that Gronkowski stayed on the field and he did that job brilliantly

Considering he was released suggests his value wasn’t what they expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back