PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins released

Status
Not open for further replies.
ASJ doesn’t seem to be getting the same level of coddling and excuse making Josh Gordon did on this board.
I don't think anyone wants to admit why that is the case

Hint: It has something to do with his talent.

All the best to ASJ. The train keeps rolling.

Yes. In Britain, the culture of sports encourages and enables alcohol abuse, to say the least. But it's absolutely no joke for those who fall victim. His recovery is the most important thing and I wish ASJ well wherever his journey takes him.

Why do sports fans mock and disparage athletes at all? Some combination of unearned entitlement, self-loathing, and free floating anger pointed at easy targets. And because there's no real consequence or accountability.

People mock and disparage everyone, just as they praise everyone, from family members to co-workers to politicians to athletes. It's not about entitlement, self-loathing and free floating anger. It's about human nature, judgment, and impact analysis.

ASJ doesn’t seem to be getting the same level of coddling and excuse making Josh Gordon did on this board.

1. Why should he? What's he done to earn any particular level of coddling and excuse making?
  2. When Gordon was first discussed as an option, and even now, there were plenty here hostile both to the notion and to the player.

1. Why should he? What's he done to earn any particular level of coddling and excuse making?
  2. When Gordon was first discussed as an option, and even now, there were plenty here hostile both to the notion and to the player.
So if you’re a drug addict/alcoholic that’s good at football you deserve coddling and excuses. If you’re a drug addict/alcoholic that is average at football then you don’t deserve coddling or excuses.

I am strictly talking about this forum and the overwhelming amount of defenders of Josh Gordon and his issues. I didn’t have as much sympathy for him as most seemed to and got the “do you know how hard addiction is!?!” lecture. Now that ASJ is rumored to be having similar issues it’s more just “oh well” and variations of “bye” and “he sucks anyways”.

When Gordon was first discussed the reaction to the trade was mostly positive, on here and in the media. I liked the trade as well but I didn’t and don’t really care for Josh Gordon as a player/person. I am all for second chances but when you’re on your 4th or 5th and you continually let down your teammates and fans you become hard to root for. I do hope he turns his life around but I really don’t have much sympathy for him.

So if you’re a drug addict/alcoholic that’s good at football you deserve coddling and excuses. If you’re a drug addict/alcoholic that is average at football then you don’t deserve coddling or excuses.

I am strictly talking about this forum and the overwhelming amount of defenders of Josh Gordon and his issues. I didn’t have as much sympathy for him as most seemed to and got the “do you know how hard addiction is!?!” lecture. Now that ASJ is rumored to be having similar issues it’s more just “oh well” and variations of “bye” and “he sucks anyways”.

When Gordon was first discussed the reaction to the trade was mostly positive, on here and in the media. I liked the trade as well but I didn’t and don’t really care for Josh Gordon as a player/person. I am all for second chances but when you’re on your 4th or 5th and you continually let down your teammates and fans you become hard to root for. I do hope he turns his life around but I really don’t have much sympathy for him.

It's wild how you correctly identified the hypocrisy on this subject and then immediately came to the wrong conclusion.

It's wild how you correctly identified the hypocrisy on this subject and then immediately came to the wrong conclusion.
Well I guess it’s a good thing I’m not an NFL GM then. Your disappointment in me stings enough as it is.

Gordon's story has played out in the headlines. It's been understood that he's had these issues since his youth. It's also been understood that his teammates have loved him and that he's a top flight talent who's career has been sidetracked largely because of the sort of testing (non-PED drugs) that many of us don't think should be part of a punitive system in sports. And a ****load of people here still didn't want him, with many not wanting him now.

ASJ has been a mediocrity who's done nothing to help the Patriots, who's issue(s) are just rumored and not verified, and who's gone after about a month of off season activities. And people here are still split into the usual positions of "See ya!" and "I hope everything's alright/you get better".

So other than you feeling butthurt, why the hell would you think, even for one moment, that there was an issue here?

Gordon's story has played out in the headlines. It's been understood that he's had these issues since his youth. It's also been understood that his teammates have loved him and that he's a top flight talent who's career has been sidetracked largely because of the sort of testing (non-PED drugs) that many of us don't think should be part of a punitive system in sports. And a ****load of people here still didn't want him, with many not wanting him now.

ASJ has been a mediocrity who's done nothing to help the Patriots, who's issue(s) are just rumored and not verified, and who's gone after about a month of off season activities. And people here are still split into the usual positions of "See ya!" and "I hope everything's alright/you get better".

So other than you feeling butthurt, why the hell would you think, even for one moment, that there was an issue here?
Maybe you value Internet forums more than I do but I don’t think there’s anything on here that could ever make me “butthurt” But anyways, my post was more about the holier than thou posts about how Josh Gordon is a delicate flower and no one should be critical. I don’t see the “addiction is a disease!!” rhetoric like I did before. “Addiction is still a disease!!!!!” whether they are a multi game Patriot or a multi week Patriot if that’s what you believe.

Maybe you value Internet forums more than I do but I don’t think there’s anything on here that could ever make me “butthurt”

Sure, that's why you're claiming

I didn’t have as much sympathy for him as most seemed to and got the “do you know how hard addiction is!?!” lecture. Now that ASJ is rumored to be having similar issues it’s more just “oh well” and variations of “bye” and “he sucks anyways”.

So you should definitely keep trying to equate disparate situations.

No. He didn’t “report on the story,” he reported the story.
We will have to agree to disagree.
It’s as plain as day to me.
Belichick was never going to trade gronk. He would not trade any player who was running around saying maybe I’ll play maybe I’ll retire. And he certainly wouldn’t do that to Matt p.
Gronk was being a goofball and belichuck needed to know if he was playing or not. So he created this fake trade idea with his buddy in Detroit to force gronk hand on a decision.
Miraculously gronk shows up, says he will play and there was no trade. He surely wasn’t trading him if he retired.
schefter was used. You should be smart enough to understand that.

We will have more packages where an OL checks in as a receiver ... much worry for nothing IMO. As for ASJ ... get the right help and change your friends.

Sure, that's why you're claiming

So you should definitely keep trying to equate disparate situations.
Ah yes 2 Patriots football players with substance abuse problems. How could I confuse the two?

giphy.gif

We will have to agree to disagree.
It’s as plain as day to me.
Belichick was never going to trade gronk. He would not trade any player who was running around saying maybe I’ll play maybe I’ll retire. And he certainly wouldn’t do that to Matt p.
Gronk was being a goofball and belichuck needed to know if he was playing or not. So he created this fake trade idea with his buddy in Detroit to force gronk hand on a decision.
Miraculously gronk shows up, says he will play and there was no trade. He surely wasn’t trading him if he retired.
schefter was used. You should be smart enough to understand that.
You were doing ok up until the end of the post, but baby steps I guess.

You're speculating. That's fine, lots of that here, but that's what it is, so stating it as fact is silly. Of course Belichick would trade a player not fully committed to playing, good reason to do it actually. (And obviously he wouldn't/couldn't trade a player who retired.)

You were doing ok up until the end of the post, but baby steps I guess.

You're speculating. That's fine, lots of that here, but that's what it is, so stating it as fact is silly. Of course Belichick would trade a player not fully committed to playing, good reason to do it actually. (And obviously he wouldn't/couldn't trade a player who retired.)
So one more step and you are there. If he wouldn’t trade a player who is retiring and he didn’t trade the player when he says he wasn’t retiring then he wasn’t trading the player.

It’s actually you who are speculating using a rumor as fact. The fact is he didn’t trade gronk. Your rumors are only rumor and when a rumor turns out to not happen, it was wrong. Pretty simple stuff.

We will have more packages where an OL checks in as a receiver ... much worry for nothing IMO...
Sounds good in theory; Nate Solder in 2011 immediately comes to mind.

But right now I don't know if we have another OT to spare.

So one more step and you are there. If he wouldn’t trade a player who is retiring and he didn’t trade the player when he says he wasn’t retiring then he wasn’t trading the player.

It’s actually you who are speculating using a rumor as fact. The fact is he didn’t trade gronk. Your rumors are only rumor and when a rumor turns out to not happen, it was wrong. Pretty simple stuff.
You're getting worse. The baby step was how you weren't pissy until the end of your last post, now you're leading with it.

Belichick would 100% trade a player not fully committed to playing. They aren't "my rumors" it was commonly reported, including by Schefter. "When a rumor turns out to not happen it was wrong" is nonsensical. It means the trade didn't happen, not that there wasn't truth to it. Pretty simple stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back