PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins released

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Honorary Secretary of the A.J. Derby Fan Club, I can remind people that he is at present a free agent. As are Michael Hoomanawanui, Tim Wright and (*drum roll*) Zach Sudfeld.

I'd be with you....except that we don't have depth at OT...we don't even have a swing tackle who could come in and take some snaps at TE in a jumbo package.
We will.

We need to beef up blocking at that position as well as get a reliable swing tackle...Wynn and Cannon don't have a DURABLE track record....yet....
Cannon doesn’t have a track record?
Deemphasizing the TE doesn’t mean not having one. But it means running more from 3 or 4 wide spread formations, and using more WRs in the passing game. We will still have a traditional TE role but it just won’t be as heavily used.

We still have Josh Gordon.

We are moving from being one of the most TE centric teams in the league to being a team where TE is an afterthought.
Just another in a long line of largely successful scheme alterations.

I’d rather deemphasized TE than expect someone else to be gronk.

Somewhere in the middle would be nice though.

And none of this is because of ASJ because he was a long shot to make it to sept when he was signed.

This. Let’s not forget that BB end JMD were ready to transition their scheme in the 2018 offseason, when Gronk was almost traded. In my opinion, they will figure out how to remain a top 5 offense without him. His blocking will likely be missed the most, because even if Gronk had not retired I’m not sure his body would have allowed him to be an elite weapon on offense on a consistent basis anymore.

They were lucky that he was able to rest his body enough during the bye week to allow him to regain some of his old clutch form in spurts during the playoffs. So, it’s not really about all pro receiving weapon Gronk vs. LaCosse/Watson. 50 catches, 5-7 TDs from the position will likely be adequate, given the fact that they should be able to run the ball consistently. Let’s see how it plays out in training camp. If they don’t like what they see I’m confident that will make a move at the position before week 1.

Let’s also not forget the offensive (in more ways than one) roster that BB and co. were able to bring to the AFC championship game.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/56166/DEN_Gamebook.pdf

Gross.

Winovich played TE in college...

Last edited:
This. Let’s not forget that BB end JMD were ready to transition their scheme in the 2018 offseason, when Gronk was almost traded. In my opinion, they will figure out how to remain a top 5 offense without him. His blocking will likely be missed the most, because even if Gronk had not retired I’m not sure his body would have allowed him to be an elite weapon on offense on a consistent basis anymore.

They were lucky that he was able to rest his body enough during the bye week to allow him to regain some of his old clutch form in spurts during the playoffs. So, it’s not really about all pro receiving weapon Gronk vs. LaCosse/Watson. 50 catches, 5-7 TDs from the position will likely be adequate, given the fact that they should be able to run the ball consistently. Let’s see how it plays out in training camp. If they don’t like what they see I’m confident that will make a move at the position before week 1.

Let’s also not forget the offensive (in more ways than one) roster that BB and co. were able to bring to the AFC championship game.

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/56166/DEN_Gamebook.pdf

Gross.
One disagreement.
Gronk was never almost traded. Gronk was being a meathead and BB used a potential trade as a way to get him to commit to a decision to play or retire.

Well, that was fast. Think we can convince Ben Coates to come out of coaching/retirement?

We will.

Cannon doesn’t have a track record?
Deemphasizing the TE doesn’t mean not having one. But it means running more from 3 or 4 wide spread formations, and using more WRs in the passing game. We will still have a traditional TE role but it just won’t be as heavily used.

Cannon has missed time due to concussions in recent years. We used to have Fleming (Dallas now I think) and Waddle (now in Buffalo)...both of whom could step in and be decent OT's.

I am with you on deemphasizing the TE position....and am aware that we at least have blockers....but we need blocking from the TE position at least. Or we could use Develin as a H-back though....

Bill won't keep extra TEs just to fill out the depth chart. If only two TEs deserve a spot, then that's all he will keep.
He didn't even get a chance to show whether he deserved a spot. I doubt this is related to his play on the field.

They did go after Jared Cook. He didn’t want to sign there because he didn’t know the status of Gronk.
Bill wasn't serious about Cook until after Gronkowski announced his retirement...but by then it was too late, because he had already committed to New Orleans.

Cannon has missed time due to concussions in recent years. We used to have Fleming (Dallas now I think) and Waddle (now in Buffalo)...both of whom could step in and be decent OT's.

I am with you on deemphasizing the TE position....and am aware that we at least have blockers....but we need blocking from the TE position at least. Or we could use Develin as a H-back though....
I don’t recall cannon having concussions but he certainly has a track record here even if he has missed some time with injuries over the years.

BB end JMD were ready to transition their scheme in the 2018 offseason, when Gronk was almost traded

Interesting. Gronk was definitely almost traded (deal was in place according to credible sources) but I saw that more as the classic “year too early” than a planned scheme change.

This is the equivalent of a first serious camp injury, and at a position that was arguably the thinnest on the team. (Which may or may not be OK, given all the talk about "deemphasizing the TE.)

Rumor has it that Brady took time off to practice throwing to himself. :)

I'll have what he's having.

Matt LaCosse has 27 career receptions over parts of four seasons after being undrafted. He missed 2016 with a knee injury and spent 2017 between practice squads and game-day inactives. He became the #3 TE in 2018, and played more when the #1, Jake Butt tore his ACL. He's your presumptive #1 to start the season.

Benjamin Watson is suspended the first four games. He's 38.

Ryan Izzo declared for the 2017 draft after making 19 receptions at Florida State as a redshirt junior. He ran a 4.94 40 - before his injury.

Andrew Beck is a raw undrafted rookie noted for being a decent run blocker and a high drop rate.

Stephen Beck is, wait for it, undrafted. 36 career receptions.

19-0!!!!

Interesting. Gronk was definitely almost traded (deal was in place according to credible sources) but I saw that more as the classic “year too early” than a planned scheme change.
The “trade” was a farce. There are no credible sources saying it was done. It was a ploy to get gronk to make a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes